F-4J (UK) Phantom

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I built this Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J in X-127 a few years back, I think I might of lightened it with a bit of gloss white for scale effect, i think it a pretty close match.

F-4JUK005.jpg

HTH

Rich

Gosh that takes me back to my Wattisham days😄😄😄😄

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any ideas on F3 decals for 1/48? I have been looking for 74 squadron decals on hannants & others but nothing is coming up. I have some left over airfix 5 squadron decals from the airfix lightning kit that could be adapted, but need a few specific decals (squadron badge, aircraft serial no, etc)

Any ideas on F3 decals for 1/48? I have been looking for 74 squadron decals on hannants & others but nothing is coming up. I have some left over airfix 5 squadron decals from the airfix lightning kit that could be adapted, but need a few specific decals (squadron badge, aircraft serial no, etc)

Xtradecal's sheet for 74Sqn., has decals for the F4J(UK) -note it was never called an F3- as well as the FGR2 that replaced it. Decals were also produced by a company called Yellowhammer. Hasegawa issued their F4J an an F4J(UK) so have decals in that , though the national marking colours are way off....

Hmm, only ones I can find are from the US & $20 plus. Might have to compromise.

You'll have to compromise whichever way you go (assuming you want an original blue/green bird rather than a repainted one?). Off the top of my head in 48th, Superscale, YellowHammer and Xtradecal have all had a go and all are poor efforts. YellowHammer esp was poorly researched with incorrect serial font & incomplete stencils in the wrong scale (closer to 72nd) being the stand out items. Xtradecal aren't much better with the serial font although their incomplete stencils are the correct scale. The Superscale sheet has better serials & an extra stencil or two, so the best option is probably to mix and match between Xtradecal & Superscale.

Pretty sure Hasegawa released a 74 Sqn boxing too, although I haven't seen the decal sheet in that.

Overall a surprisingly poor effort and still an opening for a decent 48th sheet, esp with the Academy J around to stir things up again.

If only Modeldecal had scaled their sheet up to 48th!

You'll have to compromise whichever way you go (assuming you want an original blue/green bird rather than a repainted one?). Off the top of my head in 48th, Superscale, YellowHammer and Xtradecal have all had a go and all are poor efforts. YellowHammer esp was poorly researched with incorrect serial font & incomplete stencils in the wrong scale (closer to 72nd) being the stand out items. Xtradecal aren't much better with the serial font although their incomplete stencils are the correct scale. The Superscale sheet has better serials & an extra stencil or two, so the best option is probably to mix and match between Xtradecal & Superscale.

Pretty sure Hasegawa released a 74 Sqn boxing too, although I haven't seen the decal sheet in that.

Overall a surprisingly poor effort and still an opening for a decent 48th sheet, esp with the Academy J around to stir things up again.

The original scheme had very little in the way of stencils anyway....funnily enough, Modeldecals sheet no 74 (I see what you did there Mr Ward!) which features serials for the whole squadron DOES have the correct font..but they're a bit too big for 1/72nd, but are okay for 1/48th.....for the few repainted aircraft normal RAF stencils -as used on the FGR2/FG1 would be useable...

• Like 1

Best 72nd F-4J is Hasegawa, or Monogram is an outstanding opponent if you're OK with rescribing. Esci is also worth seriously considering although the cockpit and small nosewheel door will need some work.

For an FGR accept nothing less than Fujimi's effort.

• Like 1

I've got the 1/48th Yellow Hammer, Xtradecal, Hasegawa kit, Superscale and Italeri kits 74sqn decals and all have some accuracy issue.

I thought the Xtradecal sheet would have solved all the issues, but they printed the nose bar Tiger yellow not orange. The fin Tiger is correct the nose is wrong!

Maybe take a pic later and put it on here.

Shaun.

I will combine the Yellowhammer (tiger emblem on the nose) and the Xtradecal (all the rest)...

Somebody mentioned the Aeromaster 'smoker' sheet. I have this sheet as well, but unfortunately this sheet suffers many accuracy issues. The tiger emblem on the nose is way to large.

Fingers crossed for an 'ultimate sheet', especially in light of the new Academy F-4J!

G

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm a happy chappie! I've just taken delivery of m Academy F4J - and what a superb looking kit it is! Thoroughly looking forward to building it, and seeing what colours to use. One strange omission from the kit though...the DECM antenna fairings prominent on the intakes! Only one F4J(UK) ZE350/"T" didn't have them fitted, and I built that 15 or so years ago from the Hasegawa kit...but I will most likely borrow a pair from another Hasegawa kit, or scratch build them..shouldn't be that difficult...should it?

I will need to finish a few of my other projects off first though, before I start my F4J(UK)

Edit: I've found the DECM pods! They're on the black plastic sprues! But no 'slime bars' on the decal sheet.......I have spares!!

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was it only the F4J (UK / F3) that had an underside wing/fuselage strengthening strap, or did the FGR2 as well?

Yes, the FG.1/FGR.2 also had the strap.

By the way, the F-4J(UK) was NEVER called the the F.3... ;)

-Daz

Yes, the FG.1/FGR.2 also had the strap.

By the way, the F-4J(UK) was NEVER called the the F.3... ;)

-Daz

Question on these reinforcements on the FG.1/FGR.2: when were they introduced ? I believe the original FG.1s did not have them. IIRC the reinforcements were first introduced with the slatted wing on the F-4E and this type of wing entered service after all RN FG.1s had been delivered. Pictures of early RN FG.1s also don't show them.

Were they introduced during service ? And did the FGR.2 have them from the start or were they introduced at a later stage on these too ?

I thought the strengthening on the F-4E's was completely different...? I always believed the strengthening straps on the UK Phantoms was similar to the one found on the US Navy F-4S.

Im curious to know if anybody has more info on that...

Question on these reinforcements on the FG.1/FGR.2: when were they introduced ? I believe the original FG.1s did not have them. IIRC the reinforcements were first introduced with the slatted wing on the F-4E and this type of wing entered service after all RN FG.1s had been delivered. Pictures of early RN FG.1s also don't show them.

Were they introduced during service ? And did the FGR.2 have them from the start or were they introduced at a later stage on these too ?From Block 48

From Block 48 (71-0237), F-4Es main wingbox had thicker lower wing skins so the strengthening strap was deleted. The FG.1/FGR.2 had the same wing as the F-4J. The strengthening strap was added to RAF jets several years after entry into service (I can't be sure exactly when) as the jets went through major overhaul, the wing fold area also received strengthening plates as well, and eventually new build outer wing panels from the late 80s to the early 90s.

-Daz