1/144 747-100/200 kits

Peter O

I would like to build one of NASA's 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. What would be the best 1/144 747 kit to start with? Of course, there's the Revell kit complete with shuttle, but that's usually rather expensive on eBay.

I've already got an Orbiter, and there is enough reference material online to scratchbuild the Orbiter mountings, stabilizer endplates and tailcone. Draw Decal does the current SCA livery, so I'm set there too.

Thanks!

Peter

I'm doing a post about the revell and airfix 747 kits...should be done later this week, with some pics as well

hope this will help

I have an Airfix it of the 200 and it is horrendous. The tail could seat about 100 people, its that thick ! Apart from finding space for it, it is the tail that has put me off buiding it. Apparently, the wing root fairing is non existent either, but this isn't as noticable as a tail that has a 6mm thick trailing edge.

If it's possible to get a replacement tail, I reckon the kit would scrub up well from looking at the sprues.

Neil

I prefer the Revell Shuttle carrier kit, better detailed engines (later rebuilt as Northwest Orient). The Airfix has the bypass fan exhaust area moulded solid (at least the Braniff one did). Haven't got any now as they got shot to pieces in "The Great 1980's Model Kit Massacre" during my airgun phase!

Paul Harrison

In the words of my Brit mates, I'm chuffed! I scored a Revell "Enterprise Space Shuttle with 747" on eBay a few minutes ago, for the ridiculous Buy-it-now price of $16.00. And it's still shrink wrapped to boot. I've lost several auctions in the past few weeks when they went over $30.

Must be my lucky day... I'm off to buy a lottery ticket now :D

Woohoo!!

Peter