Guys I may have found a replacement for Future/Klear

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hey ho.

Bit more an update on the QS test. No adverse reactions from any decal setting agents I tried.

Once decals had dried, and the minor damage from Monty, Allied kitten, had been repaired I applied a wash of oil paint thinned with lighter fluid to accent panel lines and add a bit of dirt.

No adverse reactions either. It wiped of fine too :)

Then I mixed QS with Tamiya flat base and brushed on a coat to give a matt finish. All worked fine too. It gave a very even finish with no brush marks readily visible

I'm going to work into this with some pastel dusts to give a bit more of a desert faded finish and then seal with an airbrushed coat of QS and tamiya matt base.

I will do one more post here to confirm the QS and Tamiya flat airbrushes OK, then she'll be up in Ready for Inspection ( as long as Monty doesnt go for a rematch!)

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

• 1 year later...

This Lakeland product is what I used on my recent de Havilland 88 Comet racer for gloss coating, canopy finishing and decal setting. It all went pretty well: frankly despite the initial milky appearance it seems to act exactly like Klear in every other respect. I am most grateful to Jonners for the suggestion.

• 3 months later...

does it behave like old klear for decals, i.e. softening them and sticking them down good. for me thats what i miss about old klear, the new klear is fine for sealing and glossing up stuff and canopies as is astonish floor polish but there not good for decals, i use klear to brush onto the area for each decal then slide the decal on and position then press down and dab away excess with a lint free cloth, when dry the decal has a bit more rubed onto the top and then dab away again this leaves the decal looking like its painted on with no silvering. and i really need to find another product that does this as im running out of it. i have half a bottle left. please advise. cheers rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm gave this a try as a gloss coat and i found it seemed very orange peel like and has made a bit of a mess of my model. I think its down to me rather than the stuff mind you. Any tips on how best to airbrush it on as a gloss coat to seal in the base coat? Should i thin it more? use a high pressure?

Now its looking like an orange how can i salvage it without needing to clean off the whole thing and start again. I don't think i could take doing it all over as its taken me ages to get this far.

thanks.

if it was me id spray it with oven cleaner to get all the paint off and start again, more fun repainting than hours and hours flatting it back with wet and dry.

I did a quick search on Google this morning and found this shop that appears to be selling Klear

Klear??

XVTonker :pilot:

I did a quick search on Google this morning and found this shop that appears to be selling Klear

Klear??

DOH!!!

Didn't see the out of stock message first time round.

Apologies

XVTonker

yeah its now marinading in a bag of Mr muscle. Oh well take 2 on this one i suppose. might need to try some random plastic with various varnish before i let rip on it again.

oh well you may find you do it better next time, i got one of my vulcans that im thinking of striping and redoing it, im just not happy with it enough, so can only be a good thing.

Klear??

DOH!!!

Didn't see the out of stock message first time round.

Apologies

XVTonker

thanks for the link however that is the new formular klear, its good for clear coating but not so great for other things, i use it for klear coating and use old klear for decals only and ocasionaly canopys.

• 11 years later...

I guess that as Klear and the product from  Lakeland were designed as self levelling coatings, using them through an air brush may be fraught with some problems depending on how used. Pressure, nozz!e, distance etc. I have used Klear just with a flat sable brush and found that the results were really good by that method.

As for the cost of the Lakeland sold product, it probably still works out very much less expensive than dedicated 'modelling'  products.

Probably right Colin. Things move on in product development.

We hear all the sob stories about the demise of Johnson's Klear and wish I had bought more at the time it was available.

But we have to move on as favourite brands of ours get axed or replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm,  just spotted this on Screwfix site

5758J_P&$prodImageMedium$

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zep-hardwood-laminate-floor-refinisher-gloss-1ltr/5758j

from the reviews, high gloss, fills scratches,   sound liek it's the may do the same job.   Not tried it, only just seen it, but maybe worth investigating...  Hmm.. my kitchen floor needs rejuvenating so I might get some for that and see if it has any bonuses ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/07/2022 at 16:50, Troy Smith said:

Hmm,  just spotted this on Screwfix site

5758J_P&$prodImageMedium$

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zep-hardwood-laminate-floor-refinisher-gloss-1ltr/5758j

from the reviews, high gloss, fills scratches,   sound liek it's the may do the same job.   Not tried it, only just seen it, but maybe worth investigating...  Hmm.. my kitchen floor needs rejuvenating so I might get some for that and see if it has any bonuses ;) 

Please do and report back, as I am one of the unlucky people who has never experienced the magic that is Future. I bought a bottle of acrylic floor wash and shine that has served me quite well. Sprays right out of the bottle and gives a nice semi gloss shine that is pretty much like you see on most aircraft, but it is nothing like the stories of Future that I have heard in the fairy tales. :(