Airfix 1/72 PR.9 and maybe the B(1)8 as well!

Hi all

Time for the first update. First up is a box top picture of the kit i'm building.

P1000583.jpg

The cockpit was assembled and sprayed black with the seats picked out in the colours quoted. Not sure about the yellow cushions though, are they supposed to be that colour?

There are some quite nice details in the cockpit area with the control column being a particularly delicate part.

P1000578.jpg

P1000579.jpg

P1000580.jpg

The cockpit was then installed in the fuselage halves along with 50g of weight to hopefully keep the nose down! :pray:

The kit has the fuselages glued and sanded with a coat of primer on to check the seams, so far looking like a bit of filler needed.

P1000581.jpg

P1000582.jpg

Next update soon!

Nice work Antony, first off you've posted the box art for the PR9 but that looks like the B(I)8 cockpit. Yep the cushions are yellow but they're not cushions they are survival packs.

How are you finding the kit? I'm building the PR9 soon.

Hi Mish

The kit is not too bad so far, just a bit of filler needed here and there. I hope its the right cockpit as it came out of the PR.9 box, just checked the B(1)8 box and the cockpit is exactly the same apart from the column, which is fighter style as opposed to airliner style! Good old Airfix!

Nice work so far Antony! The seat looks Ok to me! Looking at pics many seats have a thin cushion over the yellow that's usually in some light olive color!

Take a look at seatejectcolor.com, which I think is a good resource!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Antony, I need to go have a look in my box. It's just the positioning of the second seat that throwing me. I'm no expert but shouldn't the PR9 have a seat in the nose for the nav? not tucked down the side. Please check with someone more knowledgeable than me though.

Right I'm back again I've had a look at my PR9 and I can see what Airfix have done. It looks like they have put the B(I)8 cockpit in the PR9 as it's totally wrong for any PR9 I've ever seen. No matters as it cant bee seen from the outside any way. Just a lot of work to be done if one wanted to have a nose open PR9. I will leave the second seat out and use the space for lead to give it a good nose weight. Sorry if I got you in any sort of panic.

Edited by Mish

Thanks Antony, I need to go have a look in my box. It's just the positioning of the second seat that throwing me. I'm no expert but shouldn't the PR9 have a seat in the nose for the nav? not tucked down the side. Please check with someone more knowledgeable than me though.

Right I'm back again I've had a look at my PR9 and I can see what Airfix have done. It looks like they have put the B(I)8 cockpit in the PR9 as it's totally wrong for any PR9 I've ever seen. No matters as it cant bee seen from the outside any way. Just a lot of work to be done if one wanted to have a nose open PR9. I will leave the second seat out and use the space for lead to give it a good nose weight. Sorry if I got you in any sort of panic.

Not a problem, i thought maybe i'd put the wrong kit back in the wrong box! Good idea about leaving the seat out as room for extra weight, wish i'd thought of that yesterday.

Nice work so far Antony! The seat looks Ok to me! Looking at pics many seats have a thin cushion over the yellow that's usually in some light olive color!

Take a look at seatejectcolor.com, which I think is a good resource!

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks for the link, its great! I think i'll leave the cushion yellow as its all sealed in the fuselage now. I'll remember it for the next one

Antony,

Looking good so far my friend :thumbsup2:

Mish is correct, the Nav lives in the nose on the PR9, so should not have that seat tucked up against the pressure bulkhead and the control column is the correct one, do NOT use the fighter style single column for any mark of Canberra as Airfix has really goofed by including it. What I also suggest is, for this and your Mk8 is check actual photos of the aircraft you building as Airfix have included antennae that may or may not have been fitted to a particular airframe and I also suggest you check out the reference thread in our GB area, as it has indepth threads on what needs correcting and what parts you should and should not use.

HTH

Bexy

Antony,

Looking good so far my friend :thumbsup2:

Mish is correct, the Nav lives in the nose on the PR9, so should not have that seat tucked up against the pressure bulkhead and the control column is the correct one, do NOT use the fighter style single column for any mark of Canberra as Airfix has really goofed by including it. What I also suggest is, for this and your Mk8 is check actual photos of the aircraft you building as Airfix have included antennae that may or may not have been fitted to a particular airframe and I also suggest you check out the reference thread in our GB area, as it has indepth threads on what needs correcting and what parts you should and should not use.

HTH

Bexy

Aagh, the box of worms that is the Canberra has been opened again!! I'll definitely be looking at the reference thread now as there are an awful lot of antennae in the box. Thanks for the info Bexy

Update on the build time

Wings and tail are on after some serious cursing at mr Airfix and his instructions that tell you to put all the bits in the wrong places!

The instructions say to attach the top of one side of the horizontal stabiliser to the bottom of the other side, they tell you to put the outboard flaps on the wrong wings and once the exhausts are assembled, it tells you to put them on the wrong wing!! :rant:

I've checked the B(1)8 instructions and this problem has been corrected in them!!

Pictures to follow later.

Regards

Antony

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I know its been a while, but i've been distracted by things like work (boo!) and shiny new kits (Yay!), but i've finally got round to finishing the Canberra. I was going to post pictures last week, but then discovered the site was down, but its back now.

Ok, on to the pictures... 1st one shows the kit after being sprayed and gloss varnished ready for the decals. Hemp is Vallejo model air and the light aircraft grey is xtracrylix, varnish is Vallejo gloss from the spray can.

P1000602.jpg

The next few show the completed kit, post decalling and weathering. I had to use the tail steady provided as despite using more weight than stated it still sat on its bottom!

Enjoy and please feel free to leave comments

Antony

P1000604.jpg

P1000605.jpg

P1000606.jpg

Wow! That's gorgeous. How did you do the panel lines?

I'm particularly impressed that you managed to enlist your daughter(?) as a photographic assistant. Get her started early!

Thanks for the kind words. Panel lines were done with Promodellers dark wash which was left on for about an hour, then wiped off with a damp piece of kitchen roll to achieve the finish i was happy with.

My daughter is always happy to pose for the camera, so it was fairly easy getting her involved. She has had a go at building a kit in the past (Hobbyboss easy build FW190) but it didnt survive its maiden flight down the stairs!