Airfix 1:72 Canberra PR.9

I'll probably be entering with this one first before the 1:48 B.2 but I thought you might like a mini review first!

An Out of the Box look.

The box top as you have already seen

DSCF2616.jpg

The contents, I've taken them out of the plastic bag and removed the instructions and decals. I must say the new Airfix boxes are a lot more sturdy.

DSCF2617.jpg

Decal sheet

DSCF2618.jpg

And the great four page colour painting guide

DSCF2619.jpg

DSCF2620.jpg

Standard instruction booklet

DSCF2621.jpg

Sprues

DSCF2622.jpg

Oh dear still the rubbish rudder that's on the 1:48

DSCF2623.jpg

Close up of the wing

DSCF2624.jpg

Fuselage front, rather deep and broad panel lines. I have also heard that some panels are wrong?

DSCF2625.jpg

Tail, Airfix still haven't got this right, the root flare is too long, in scale its nearly 600mm too long. However there does seem to be some 'meat' in the base of the leading edge to work with so maybe it can be sanded back?

DSCF2626.jpg

I'm glad to see that the tail leading edge 'bullet' is separate allowing for correctness if you want to build an early version. In the same light Airfix have included both the old and new tail cones.

So far I'm impressed, with a little extra work I think this will build up to a reasonable model

Edited by Mish

Ay up chuck,

Well nice to see Airfix still cant make a decent Canberra :doh: Check out Colin's PR9 thread to see how to correct the tail and you'll have no trouble with it as hes done it spot on. The hatches behind the pressure bulkhead are correct for this aircraft, its all the others that are wrong :angrysoapbox.sml: ALthough I think off the top of my head, there is an upper equipment bay present on the port side that needs filling.

Get building then girl :popcorn: at the ready :yahoo:

Bexy

Mish,

Thanks very much for posting these pics of your kit and best of luck with the build. I'm grateful for the large pics as yours are the first to show whether the wings have the vortex generators or not; they clearly do..... You've also identified many of the good features of the kit, such as the tail bullet fairing. Nice. Now, when do they make it down here?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Well nice to see Airfix still cant make a decent Canberra

Looking at the sprue components it looks like these 1/72 kits share the CAD data with the 1/48 jobbies. As a CAD techie myself that makes 100% sense, even if it means the same errors get duplicated.

peebeep

Which build is this, have I missed something?

I suspect Bex means this one; an excellent build and a very valuable resource in its own right. Your comment about correcting the root flare of the fin's leading edge reminded me straight away of Colin's build, so I'm sure his efforts will be applicable in the smaller scale. I can't wait to get mine!

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

Right started the build this morning.

First job of the day? Throw away Airfix's instructions.

Starting on the cockpit, part 15A can be left out as it's not needed on a PR9 and you can use the space for extra nose weight. The only think this part does on this kit is mount the rudder pedals. So unless you have a dying need to do so leave it out Also leave ou the second seat again it's not needed as Airfix will have you mount it in the wrong place anyway. Basicly it's airfix being cheap and supplying a B(I)8 cockpit!

Also in stage 9 of the instructions Airfix will have you drill out three holes in part 1H the port fuselage halve. These are for the 'towel rail' antenna. If you drill them they come out in the wrong place!

Anyway on with the pics

Cockpit done

DSCF2654.jpg

You can see below by leaving out part 15A you have a load more space for extra nose weight.

DSCF2656.jpg

Whilst I was waiting on paint drying I took the opportunity to fill the God awful rudder.

DSCF2652.jpg

This mornings efforts

DSCF2657.jpg

As mentioned by others the sprue gates are a bit wide and thick in places. There are some sink marks on the upper wing halves from the locating pins. I haven't decided if I'm going to fill the panel lines yet.

Now can anyone tell me what photo bay panel I need? I'm building an early 1960's model in HSS.

More later...

Right started the build this morning.

First job of the day? Throw away Airfix's instructions.

Starting on the cockpit, part 15A can be left out as it's not needed on a PR9 and you can use the space for extra nose weight. The only think this part does on this kit is mount the rudder pedals. So unless you have a dying need to do so leave it out Also leave ou the second seat again it's not needed as Airfix will have you mount it in the wrong place anyway. Basicly it's airfix being cheap and supplying a B(I)8 cockpit!

Also in stage 9 of the instructions Airfix will have you drill out three holes in part 1H the port fuselage halve. These are for the 'towel rail' antenna. If you drill them they come out in the wrong place!

Anyway on with the pics

Cockpit done

DSCF2654.jpg

You can see below by leaving out part 15A you have a load more space for extra nose weight.

DSCF2656.jpg

Whilst I was waiting on paint drying I took the opportunity to fill the God awful rudder.

DSCF2652.jpg

This mornings efforts

DSCF2657.jpg

As mentioned by others the sprue gates are a bit wide and thick in places. There are some sink marks on the upper wing halves from the locating pins. I haven't decided if I'm going to fill the panel lines yet.

Now can anyone tell me what photo bay panel I need? I'm building an early 1960's model in HSS.

More later...

Hi Mish, it's the one with more apertures and no strakes, although they should be there.

Tony :clif:

This afternoons update.

Cockpit in and nose weight added

DSCF2658.jpg

Fuslage halves together and the first problem, I don't know if everyones kit is like this of I got a bad one, but the cockpit top is too small. Anyway I stitched it in place with CA and then added a little squadron green. The rest of the fuselage fits well with very little sanding needed on the seams.

DSCF2659.jpg

Rudder now filled and sanded down.

DSCF2660.jpg

The black area is roughly how much Airfix have got the tail wrong

DSCF2661.jpg

And re-profiled

DSCF2662.jpg

More tomorrow...

Ay up chuck,

Cracking start there Old Girl, nice to see youre finally building a proper aeroplane at last :wicked:

Bexy

Thanks guys,

Anyway on with this afternoons efforts. The wings are one and an excellent fit. There are two small sink marks on each wing that are over the fat locating pins inside the wing half. These don't show on the photos. they only need the thinst scrapes of filler/surfacer to fill.

DSCF2663.jpg

My research shows that early PR.9's were fitted with MB 2CS seats, now these has two red wires running from the seat head box into the rear of the cockpit. I've scratched these from some 5A fuse wire.

DSCF2666.jpg

And fitted

DSCF2667.jpg

I've also added some 'tipex/snowpaint' to the rather deep panel lines to try and tone them down a bit. I really don't want to fill them and loose them all together or rescribe them all. I'll see how this goes.

DSCF2668.jpg

More tomorrow...

A bit more done this morning.

Got the camera bay in. I had to sand it to fit and the 'stitch cement it' in place with CA before sanding and filling with CA

DSCF2669.jpg

Now I'm no Canberra expert but these look plain wrong

DSCF2670.jpg

And these tanks don't look quite right in profile, especially to the rear.

DSCF2671.jpg

I've blue tacked the flaps in place and bunged up any holes with foam from an old sanding sponge. Got some tidying up to do around the intakes and jet pips and a bit more masking then I'll start spraying.

DSCF2672.jpg

More later...