HMS Delhi

:(

Great pity - your projects are really inspirational and this one seemed to be coming together brilliantly!

w00t - I'll have to order that - always wanted to model one of my grandfathers ships - HMS Curlew and this would be a great start... :)

Does anyone do generic photo-etch in 1:200?

Iain

If you give Chris Marcle a mail here then he might be able to find something for you - whilst I haven't looked myself, there already may be a specific set for this kit.

http://www.marcle.clara.net/

There are also some sets for WWII Destroyers in this scale you can find, and I think if you have a trawl thru' White Ensigns Catalogue, there are some suitable sheets from Gold Medal. This really is a stunning model in any case. One of the very best Card Models I've yet seen. Hope you find yourself in the possession of one.

I suppose thats it`s a bit like falling off a horse,you should get straight back on,well,I`ve gone right back to square one,and immedately re-started the build,knowing that I didn`t,I would probably never re-started it.

I`ve thought up a new way of attaching the hull to the seascape,but I will tell you about it,as I get to that stage,but it involves using Cling-film!!

I`m off again

Bye Phil

SL272076.jpg

I`ve nearly caught up to the point where everything went wrong,I seem to have done a better job on the hull,a little bit sharper.This time I`m painting the hull first ,then fixing it to the display base,after first wrapping it in Cling-film,to protect the paint-work.Only then will I make the seascape,after this has been done,I will carefully remove the film,leaving an unblemished hull(hopefully!)

Bye Phil

SL272077.jpg

SL272078.jpg

SL272079.jpg

SL272081.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`m at the painting stage now,I`ve decided to do the ship in the three colour camo pattern,as shown in the Profile Morskie book.I`ve used Citadel acryics ,mixed for the Dark ,and light grays,but for gray/blue B5,I`ve used a Polly S RLM74 grau violet,mixed with blue.I handpainted thoughout,and the hull has been given a coat of Klear,to protect it.Next to be done is the deck,no info is available on this,so I`m going to do it natural wood,as per the Cleopatra.All steel decks will be painted AP507A dark gray.

Bye Phil

SL272085.jpg

SL272086.jpg

Hi Phil

Very sorry to here about the mishap with Delhi I am always impressed by your models and follow your WIP's..

This is being smart after the event but many years ago and I am talking thirty plus years I remember reading an article on scratch building model ships I think it was by Harry Woodham He used the same basic technique you are using,but filled the hull voids with polyfilla and then plated on top of this he claimed it improved the strength and stability of the model (and no doubt it's weight :shrug: ).using this technique I had a go at building HMS Chester the WWI light cruiser in 1/700 scale but didn't get any further than completing the hull the technique seemed to work but of course that was in a much smaller scale. Having said that I also seem to remember an article by a US modeller where he built a Brooklyn or perhaps a Cleveland class light cruiser in 1/350 using a similar technique.

Malcolm

The deck has been painted with my own mix of Citadel paints,and then using a Citadel Mud wash to simulate the planking .I`ve firmly fixed the the hull to the MDF base, after first covering it with cling film,and a start has been made on the seascape.As I did at the first attempt,I`ve used Daz modelling clay for the wake and waves.Next up, is to cover the surface with Fine Surface Polyfilla,and paint it.

Bye Phil

SL272087.jpg

SL272088.jpg

SL272090.jpg

The sea has been painted and finished.The cling-film worked a treat,It`s such a messy business,making the sea ,the C/F protected the hull really well.I`ve tried to depict the ship travelling a nearly full speed,I`m highly delighted with the result.I`m beginning to wish I done the Cleopatra like that.

Bye Phil

SL272094.jpg

SL272093.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder

I`ve spent most of the weekend making the forward deckhouse,there was ,what I thought was some kind of shelter at the forward end of this,for crewmen,but it`s too small,I think it must have a storage area for empty 5" shell cases,so that they didn`t fall to the deck below,and injure someone.

bye Phil

SL272099.jpg

Edited by Phil Reeder