HMS Delhi

One ship in the Royal Navy that has always fascinated me ,was the Delhi.This was because she was equipped with USN 5"/38 cal guns,and the Mk 37 fire-control system,similar that fitted in the US Fletcher class destroyers.I believe that she was the only British build ship with a foreign main armament.

In May 1941 ,she was taken in hand for the removal of her 6" low-angle guns,at the Brooklyn Navy yard,and by Dec.`41 ,she commence her trials off the US east coast.The `Gun-club` in the RN were highly impressed by the performance of the 5" guns,they achieved a rate of fire of 25 rpm,for a short period,and 15 rpm for sustained fire.The Mk 37 FCS had been designed to calculate aircraft speeds of up to 1000 mph,remember this was designed in the late `30`s.More vessels of the class were slated for convertion ,but the US had joined the war,and they wanted all the guns they could lay their hands on.

As usual ,I`m building the model in 350th scale,using similar techniques I did on the Cleopatra.The Profile morskie book is as always invaluable,and I`ve had the 400th plans enlarged to 200th,at a local print-shop,the other references are British Cruisers of WW2,Raven & Roberts,and the RN Cruisers in Focus book.

Well ,I`m off again

Bye for now Phil

SL272047.jpg

the basic outline of the model is made from 40thou pk

SL272048.jpg

SL272049.jpg

Every British cruiser from the C classes of 1917 to the Tiger1960,had a knuckle on the bow,the only one that didn`t have this feature was the Town class HMS Birmingham.It the very devil to reproduce correctly on a model,anyway heres my attempt at it.

SL272050.jpg

The upper part is fixed to a horizontal deck ,which has been fitted inside the model

SL272054.jpg

The lower part is attached at a slightly different angle,and the flare is created by Isopon plastic car bumper filler,and Green Stuff.

SL272055.jpg

The filler is sanded to achieve the flare.

SL272056.jpg

The aft deck is glued in place.

Bye Phil

I`ve skinned the rest of the hull,and made the stern post from Milliput.The portholes have been drill out,and anchors added.A coat of primer has been sprayed on the hull,I always use Halfords Plastic Primer,usually gray,it`s great stuff.The deck was Evergreen scribed plastic,to simulate a teak wooden deck.

A start has been made on the seascape,the wake of the ship is done using Daz modelling clay,and when dry ,the rest of the sea will be made using Fine Surface Polyfiller.Then comes the hard bit in painting it!

Bye Phil

SL272058.jpg

SL272062.jpg

SL272063.jpg

Just for information - a 1\200 'C' Class is also available, and it's a beauty - well worth the investment.

http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/cPat...ucts_id/7061802

Don't knock the genre - there's lots of potential there...

I have several card models in my stash,and I must say that kit looks great,I`m open-minded when it comes to ship-building,I`ll use anything I can get my hands on,as long as the end product looks "right"

Cheerio Phil

The `Oggin has been painted,I used Halfords White primer for the wake,and my own connoction for the sea colour.Just needs re-touching a bit,and it seems to have worked out pretty well.

It`s `Make my mind up time`,with regards to the colour scheme to be painted on the Delhi.As far as I can ascertain ,between 1941 and 1943,she wore three different schemes.From Dec 41 to Mar 42,she was in a medium to light gray,possibly Haze Gray,overall.following that she had the Three colour Admirality Disruptive scheme of Lt Gray/Dark gray/blue B5,as shown in the PM book.Latter in `43,she was re-painted yet again in overall very Dark Gray.I think I`ll go for the Haze gray scheme,she looked very smart in that.

Bye Phil

SL272065.jpg

SL272066.jpg

looks like the "Philadelphia Project" at the moment Phil! :lol:

am enjoying the thread

is good to see how it all goes together

am sure i am not alone in finding it inspiring to have a crackat it myself sometime.

It`s a model of the latest "Stealth Warship" Walrus!! :winkgrin:

cheers Phil

DISASTER!!I was trying to fix the hull in the seascape and I must applied too much pressure,and I broke models back,I`m sorry folks ,it`s back to the drawing board.I may come back to this one in the future,as i don`t like to be defeated,but I`ll call it day for the time being.

Phil :raincloud:

DISASTER!!I was trying to fix the hull in the seascape and I must applied too much pressure,and I broke models back,I`m sorry folks ,it`s back to the drawing board.I may come back to this one in the future,as i don`t like to be defeated,but I`ll call it day for the time being.

Phil :raincloud:

:(

Great pity - your projects are really inspirational and this one seemed to be coming together brilliantly!

Just for information - a 1\200 'C' Class is also available, and it's a beauty - well worth the investment.

http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/cPat...ucts_id/7061802

w00t - I'll have to order that - always wanted to model one of my grandfathers ships - HMS Curlew and this would be a great start... :)

Does anyone do generic photo-etch in 1:200?

Iain

Thanks everybody for the sympathy,Im` afraid the damage is beyond repair.I`ll lay a new keel at some later date.As one of my best managers used to say when something went wrong"It`s all good experience",in other words you learn from your mistakes.As Big Arnie says "I`ll be back"

Kind regards Phil :winkgrin: