Yet another Canberra query

Stuart Wilson

Hi,

I'm starting the new 1/72 Airfix B(I)8 and I've got a few queries.

I'm planning on using the Model Alliance sheet to do an 88 sqd one from 1961 with black undersides and the gunpack. The underwing pylons are confusing. The instructions indicate the use of the second of the four cut-outs (second from the engine that is) for the bomb. Is this correct? I've not been able to make it out on photos and I don't have any references on the Canberra as there aren't any good kits (till now that is).

Also when were the rocket pods introduced? are they suitable for a '61 a/c.

Lastly I assume the flaps would be raised on a parked a/c. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Stuart Wilson

Stuart,

If you're completely devoid of references - http://www.bywat.co.uk/canframes.html is a great place to start (also look on the Resources thread for some other links/ book suggestions).

Also, you might find this contemporary piece in Flight (March 1958) of interest - http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200318.html (this is the first page, you'll need to navigate through the remaining pages of the article when you're there.

This photo from airliners net might help too (if LesB were still with us he'd have something to say about the current location of that airframe...)

Thanks for the reply,

I've gone with the pylon location points on the instructions. If I instsall a weapon on them it'll be the bombs unless I can prove the rocket pods were used that early. I found the fuselage wouldn't close without some surgery on the cockpit interior so if anyone's building it make sure you test fit.

A nice build so far. If it goes ok I'll try the PR9. And I'll buy some references!

Stuart Wilson

Hi,

I'm starting the new 1/72 Airfix B(I)8 and I've got a few queries.

I'm planning on using the Model Alliance sheet to do an 88 sqd one from 1961 with black undersides and the gunpack. The underwing pylons are confusing. The instructions indicate the use of the second of the four cut-outs (second from the engine that is) for the bomb. Is this correct? I've not been able to make it out on photos and I don't have any references on the Canberra as there aren't any good kits (till now that is).

Also when were the rocket pods introduced? are they suitable for a '61 a/c.

Lastly I assume the flaps would be raised on a parked a/c. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Stuart Wilson

Hi Stuart, all the photos and references I have read suggest the Canberra flaps bleed down at rest unless fitted with control locks.

• 2 months later...
Hi Stewart

The thing with the flaps is easy, some stay up, some don't, even on the same aircraft, but they don't drop that much only slightly.

John

The flaps can be either up or down and all positions in between and not all the flaps in the same positions. The flaps bled down when a/c parked. There are no locks at all for the flaps.

HTH.

Les.B.

Hi Stuart, all the photos and references I have read suggest the Canberra flaps bleed down at rest unless fitted with control locks.

In '61 I was serving with 16 Squadron and for all the time I was with them there were only bombs fitted to the pylons. Mostly with the double ejectors fitted with two 28 lb. bombs. I cannot speak for 88 but whenever I saw those they were the same.

HTH.

Les.B.