Matchboxes

Just about any of the Matchbox biplane kits can be recommended, although I'm not sure how the Fury stacks up against the recent A-Model release (that also includes the wheel spats).

The Fury is also listed as a future release by MPM.

peebeep

I don't know how the Matchbox kit would score in terms of detail against either of these but I'd bet the mortgage it would be a damned sight easier to build!

John

I'd be happy to buy electronic images and make my own arrangements for printing.

peebeep

No one would sell electronic images that were worth printing now would they, ask yourself why.

For a start you don't have the copyright and would be sued faster than a ferrari. if they were sold on CD they would be at 72 DPI and that isn't worth a print OK on screen but not a lot of good for anything else.

the whole idea is to see if he can sell signed prints around the world, if there is little response he will forget it

Ted

Is there any chance of publishing Roys paintings in a big hard back book Ted? That is if it hasn't been done already and I've missed it!

Paul Harrison

Ted, I think I said so before, considering the amount of prints being sold at airshows alone, I think it would be worth his while. Also, doing it about now is the ideal time (I think), as he can tap into the nostalgia factor. All the kiddies his paintings left such a huge impression on (me included) are of the age now where we are already nostalgic AND have some money to splash about. Just going on the feelings shown here and other sites about Matchbox kits I think he has a ready market, not to mention those who bought - and played - with Matchbox kits as children, who may have not continued to model but kept a life-long interest in aircraft, afvs, ships, cars etc.

As long as they are not going for silly money (£999.99 for a 'limited edition' sort of thing). We might llike to buy more than one! Heck, half the reason I buy some old MB kits from Ebay (even though the Revell re-box is in the LMS) is FOR the box art. And we all have our favourites! Mine (one of many) is the Dooleybird, I read on some other site of a modeller trying to replicate that scene with the Airfix 1/24........

Cheers,

(another) Roy!

And we all have our favourites! Mine (one of many) is the Dooleybird.

Yep, that was one of the ones I was thinking of, along with the original Harrier.

Steve.

No one would sell electronic images that were worth printing now would they...the whole idea is to see if he can sell signed prints around the world, if there is little response he will forget it

I was thinking out loud as I have access to a large format plotter and there are plenty of web sites where you can download images for a fee. Fair point if the artist wants to do signed prints and as DamienB points out there is no need to up-front costs. A range of sizes should be possible, that is what most fine art print sites offer. Personally I would go for A2 sized prints, maybe A1 for something that I really fancied for mounting/framing to hang in a prominent place. OTOH folks who wanted a good selection of prints might prefer A3/A4.

peebeep

I was thinking out loud as I have access to a large format plotter and there are plenty of web sites where you can download images for a fee. Fair point if the artist wants to do signed prints and as DamienB points out there is no need to up-front costs. A range of sizes should be possible, that is what most fine art print sites offer. Personally I would go for A2 sized prints, maybe A1 for something that I really fancied for mounting/framing to hang in a prominent place. OTOH folks who wanted a good selection of prints might prefer A3/A4.

peebeep

My Printer chap can print poster size which I believe is 42 inch and he will print on any paper or canvas and one off so we are aware of the situation, It is just getting Roy to decide if he wants to do it he is a very busy guy and he spends a lot of time sailing with his yatch club whose commodor happens to be the best copyright lawyer in the coutry.

I am hopefull,

This one is for Jen

Wellington.jpg

P-51DMustang.jpg

these are only small but nice. please don't do anything with them outside your computer or I will be in the brown stuff

Ted

Edited by tedtaylor

Love this thread, so much fun/nostalgia, forgot till right this minute that I have one aswell......

Lightning6.jpg

Built this around two years ago...... and yes there is a perfectly logical (ahem :whistle: ) back-story to go with it !

Ian

Someone mentioned that he'd missed the 1/32 Puma. I bought the Revell boxing last year. And while many of the Matchbox kits may be a bit behind the times now, nonetheless I would like to see some of them available again - the Seafox, Siskin, Boeing P12 with better decals, the Fiat G91Y and the Privateer.

I do believe we also have a fellow Joy Division fan here as well.

Joseph

• 2 years later...

Hi, an interesting post. I'm new so please forgive my intrusion. Can anybody direct me to any images of an unbuild/unpainted Matchbox Tempest? I am trying to source some wings for a fusilage I have and if I can colour code my search it might help. Thanks to any reply.

Ideal vehicle for advertising the Matchbox GB coming soon! C'mon, guys and girls, find those lovely MB kits and get ready :)

Waco, I dont have any wings for the tempest, i believe they were green.... ah no I lie, they are light grey, Ive just found two matchbox tempests :)

Forgot to put some of mine up the last time....

Sea Harrier (with some help from the spares box)

P40SHar055.jpg

P-40

P40SHar003.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes025.jpg

37.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes011.jpg

Irishandmatchboxes016.jpg

Did I say I like Matchbox kits?

stashpics002.jpg

(my version of the local newsagents 27 years ago).

Edited by roym

Man that box art was really cool. Much better that what we get today.

I do like the old Matchbox kits, did this F-86A last year;

F-86AFinLeft.jpg

Julien

Some vintage Matchbox kits from the Cpn's stash..

P3280026Matchbox172ACsmallbox6.jpg

P3280029MatchboxPrivateer172.jpg

P3280028MatchboxHeyford172.jpg

P3280027Matchbox172mediumbox4.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Wow well done everyone that was a fantastic post, brought back many memories, my first kit was the American Halftrack in 1/76th when I was 5 year old, needless to say it did not turn out too well.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Chris

Yes, I too have enjoyed wallowing in all that nostalgia. I think my first one was a Skyhawk that my mum bought me for being brave after having an injection!

Sadly, that trick no longer works... :winkgrin:

Ian

NomadN-22-1-1.jpg

GAF N22 Nomad

NomadN-24.jpg

GAF N24 Nomad

Moremodels023copy.jpg

Twin Otter operated by Trans Australian Airlines on its Papua-New Guinea network, circa 1970

CatalinaNorsemanAustercopy-1.jpg

Norseman operated by Gibbes Sepic Airways, also in PNG post-war. This airline was owned by the highly regarded WW2 RAAF fighter pilot "Bobby" Gibbes

Well, the two Nomad aircraft are not exactly O.O.B. Matchbox but two Matchbox models contributed heavily in their construction. The fuselages were based on that of the Dornier Skyservant ( two fuselages for the N24) and the wings based on those of the Twin Otter.

The Twin Otter was originally modelled as a British Antarctic aircraft but when it emerged from the caustic soda bath recently it was found to have long forgotten resin wings, a legacy of the donation of it's original wings to the Nomads.

The Norseman is O.O.B. with home-made decals.

FGH

I had a dig around in one of my cupboards and was surprised to find a couple of unbuilt/boxed Matchbox Canberra PR9's, a Victor K2, Twin Otter and a couple of Dauphins. Alas my only remaining built Matchbox kit is this Chinook. I'm not sure why I kept this one, it has survived a couple of house moves and is still in one piece (sort of).

aZA7112.jpg

aZA7114.jpg

Reading through the thread it made me realise just how many Matchbox kits I built as a child. My father always steered me towards this brand rather than Airfix. His advice was Matchbox went together better and yes he was right. I dont recall ever building a duff one.

This week I purcahsed my first Matchbox kit since my youth and today it arrived in the post. The Hawk 200, the one that I always fancied a crack at but never got aorund to.