Matchboxes

Damn I love these Matchbox kits they were great fun to do

We know you all loved the Matchbox kits but here is a fact that you probably didn't know, in 1980 I remember the sales director telling me that NINETEEN kits had sold over 1,000,000 pieces each so you certainly did love them.

I liked them for different reasons,

firstly I got into the industry and saw a lot more than I ever envisaged,

secondly I earned a lot more money than I ever had as a lorry driver, it also bought me my first NEW car from the factory and helped pay the mortgage for this lovely house I live in. :speak_cool:

Cheers

Ted

thought I might as well add a few of mine, a few ones not seen before as well hopefully.

Sea Harrier

267016588.jpg

Another Victor

236459979.jpg

F-4 Phantom FGR 2

248724648.jpg

Wellesley (engine test bed version)

246786752.jpg

Lightning F6

182823246.jpg

P-51 Mustang

217174833.jpg

Dave

Here are some of mine:

MB Mig-21 with Weird Mig decals;

mig3.jpg

2 MB Corsairs built OOB with kit decals;

cor2.jpg

Mcorsair1.jpg

MB Faiery Seafox OOB with kit decals;

fox4.jpg

MB Honey tank OOB

h3.jpg

MB Phantom FGR.2 (this one had a lot of help!)

43Sqn2.jpg

I hope you like them, they were all fun builds,

Julien

Edited by Julien

LOVE the Puma. Managed to snaffle one on E-Bay. :speak_cool: Can't wait to get started. Also looking forward to Revell re-releasing the sea venom sometime next month.

Edited by Jay

Amazing how fast the packagaing evolved with Matchbox because I have two copies of the Alpha Jet that are a few months apart, the "box and lid" version has the German version in the red/white scheme, the "flap" version has it in a camo finish (though the red/white one is is still on the front box art).

Great little kit, not an teribly accurate replica, but a great little kit!

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Guest Bushbrit

I loved (still love) Mbox. As a kid they allowed me to build "painted models".

As an adult I realised how esoteric they were and some are superb!!

The Victor, Privateer, Wellesley and the particularly the Heyford and StranrAER were a labour of love WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME.

Picked up a Sea Venom today. Still a great kit and perhaps some after market will follow

Matchbox kit's are great.

I picked up a couple at the Yorkshire Air Show last week, a Lightning and a Wessex to add to my stash.

Karl

Edited by Karl

• 4 months later...

There are some great builds here even the unpainted ones, I am even proud of one or two of mine also.

The box arts are the thing that sold most of them I think and at present I am scanning all the original Roy Huxley originals onto discs for Roy with a view to make prints for sale, I wonder if any of you guys would be interested if he does, these are the original paintings not the box tops with all the text etc stuck into them.

Ted

Could anyone give me information on the Match box 1:72 Hawker Fury I (biplane) is it any good?

Also, what about making wheel spats for it? any pointers....... :speak_cool:

Just about any of the Matchbox biplane kits can be recommended, although I'm not sure how the Fury stacks up against the recent A-Model release (that also includes the wheel spats).

The Fury is also listed as a future release by MPM.

peebeep

There are some great builds here even the unpainted ones, I am even proud of one or two of mine also.

The box arts are the thing that sold most of them I think and at present I am scanning all the original Roy Huxley originals onto discs for Roy with a view to make prints for sale, I wonder if any of you guys would be interested if he does, these are the original paintings not the box tops with all the text etc stuck into them.

Ted

If the images were sold on disc (maybe at a slightly lower resolution to discourage printing and avoid hurting print sales), then they'd make a great screen-saver!

Failing that, I can think of a few that would be interesting hung on the wall.

Steve.

I don't know if anyone else remembers these but some of the Matchbox box art was available as jigsaw puzzles back in the 70s. I am pretty sure I had puzzles of the Me262 and the Buffalo box art.

Pat

Nice to see a little reaction from you guys, I am trying to pesuade Roy to do it but I have another roughly 100 to scan yet and not all are Matchbox, some are his other work but there is some fantastic work in there most look like photographs.

some are early MB before all the violence was taken out and some are later less violent as dictated by those do gooders in the world.

I have an original hanging on my wall here and visitors always ask where did you get that photo?

If I can get him to go for prints what sizes would you like A4, A3 or A2 size adds to the cost of the printing but they would be affordable or he wont do them.

Ted

I don't know if anyone else remembers these but some of the Matchbox box art was available as jigsaw puzzles back in the 70s. I am pretty sure I had puzzles of the Me262 and the Buffalo box art.

Pat

yes Roy allowed M Box to use some of them and I have one here of a sea plane can't remember which one at present