Matchboxes

Long story short, while I can remember making Airfix, Revell and even Frog kits as a kid, for some reason Matchbox always stood out - probably because they were just coming onto the market as I was starting out and you could buy the Matchbox stuff in more places than other kits.

Great box art, unusual subjects, choice of decals, two colour plastic, simple construction, cheap... what more could a 6 year old modeller want?

I can remember being impressed by the pointy-fin Spitfire IX, the Yugoslav markings in the Fury, the choice of engines on the Tempest, the different noses on the Wellington etc, it was just such imaginative stuff.

I think maybe we're getting a generation of 30 something modellers coming through who cut their teeth on Matchbox and who remember them as being great fun.

Oh this is so cool thanks Jen, I'm so tempted to build a Matchbox out of the box with no paint.

Anyways here's my contribution

tornado5.jpg

Tornado F.3 U.S.N. Aggressor

100_0972.jpg

Hawk 200 R.C.A.F.

buccaneer4.jpg

Buccaneer U.S.M.C..

O.K. now this is just bringing back a flood of memories! I wish I had pics of some of my old Matchbox builds.

Without a doubt, their 1/72 Canberra PR.9 is one of my all time favorite kits.

I also have great memories of these other Matchbox gems (all 1/72):

Saab SK37 Viggen

Provost trainer

BAC Lightning series

Lysander

Hawk 200

ME-109E

Mirage III trainer

Gloster Gladiator

Oh this is so cool thanks Jen, I'm so tempted to build a Matchbox out of the box with no paint.

Anyways here's my contribution

tornado5.jpg

Tornado F.3 U.S.N. Aggressor

100_0972.jpg

Hawk 200 R.C.A.F.

buccaneer4.jpg

Buccaneer U.S.M.C..

Wow! That Buccaneer looks so right, who'd have thought it? Awesome stuff Leigh :speak_cool:

Jen.

Wow! That Buccaneer looks so right, who'd have thought it? Awesome stuff Leigh :speak_cool:

Jen.

Gotta agree with Jen on that, who'd have thought?? Looks the biz!

I also grew up on Matchbox kits, always liked the P-51D Dooleybird, I think it was one of the first times I had come across a mustang without stas n bars.

The 1/32 Dauntless holds a special place in my heart. I built it when I was just 14 years old and one 1st prize at Southern Expo in the junior awards. I still have the kit and trophy in my parents house in their display cabinet with a photo of me with the trophy and the model that was in my local paper after my proud parents phoned the editor and told them about my winning at a model competition.

I'll try and get some piccies of it for this thread at sometime in the near future.

Meanwhile here are a couple of my recent builds of Matchbox kits: -

1/72 Grumman Hellcat

CopyofHellcat020.jpg

CopyofHellcat024.jpg

1/72 Avro Lancaster

Picture027.jpg

I remember my Dads build of Dooleybird, I took a lot of convincing before I accepted that the Mustang was American, not British! I was also convinced that the Jaguar was a Vulcan. The things you do when your'e young! Dad built me some great models, nearly all of them were Matchbox. One of the first joint ventures we did was the Matchbox Tomcat, he did the painting, I did the decals, or transfers as we called them. Some of my all time favourites come from these kits we did when I as young, Tomcat, Phantom, Corsair(both types), Fighting Falcon, Starfighter, Skyhawk, Mustang, Spitfire....The list is very long, and its thanks to Matchbox.

Talking of Matchbox Starfighters, there is a review on Modelling Madness from this last week, Dad did the RCAF version, but I always wondered what the other one as. It is a Luftwaffe G.

Joel

Edited by Bandagon 106

Jen.

Makes you wonder tho 'What if' the USN did'nt go with the Intruder & got the Bucc instead??

Be careful, the dark side is powerful, and may lead you you down the path of the "What If" world.

Guest Hunter

Jen.

Agreed, that Bucc looks so right ... very nice.

Have any of the model sites ever done a "what if" group build?

Be careful, the dark side is powerful, and may lead you you down the path of the "What If" world.

MMmmmm.........

Group build anyone?????

USAF Tornado's F3's.....

USN Buccs......

USAF Lightning's......

Isreali Tornado GR4's......(That I like the sound of!!!! :speak_cool:)

Royal Navy A-6 Intruders.....

RAF F-15E Strike Eagles...

Dont need the F-16,Done in Idependence Day!!

Some wonderfull builds there gents, I have a Matchbox T.55 Lightning on the bench at the moment, the biggest gripe I had with it though was that I had to ditch the wings as they just did not look right at all.

A Revel kit was butchered for the wings and it's beggining to look real sweet!.

John.

Have any of the model sites ever done a "what if" group build?

We have them all the time on Whatifmodellers.com ;) JASDF & USAF 60th Anniversary going on right now :) The ever popular 1 Week Group Build starts in 2 weeks time.

As for Leigh's incredible Buccaneer, it was a GB winner (secret santa IIRC), but Leigh being the incredible guy that he is withdrew it as he felt it was won unfairly, being not strictly within the rules. Just to prove that honesty is its own reward, we had a re-vote and Leigh still won! An unbelievably gorgeous 43 squadron F-8 Crusader......

My latest 'Matchbox' is...

cf5b_front1.jpg

I wonder who modified Lesney's F-5A though. Lesney or Revell ?

I've also done an A-4M, A-7D, P-40, Prowler, MiG-21 (the retooled one) since I got back to modelling. I'm currently working on a BAe Hawk and a Brit F-4 now.

Love the Canberra Bill but as someone who eventually built this kit as 'in-flight' for a friend of my father's who used to work on them I have to ask, how on earth did you get the nose wheel to stay on the ground and detail the radar-operator's 'pit?

Matchbox.... COOOOOOL :wub:

One of my first kits as a child was the 1/72 Matchbox Mirage IIICZ, unpainted in SAAF markings. There was a small stationary goods store half an hours walk from my folks place in Alberton (a southern suburb of Johannesburg) that stocked loads of Matchbox kits.

Every weekend I would make the trek down to the store to spend my pocket money on a kit, R2.50 (£0.25 in today's money) got you a basic 1/72 scale kit, the bigger subjects ran to R5.00 and the really big kits (Victor, Dauntless etc.) would cost up to R15.00. Absolute manna from heaven for a ten year old propeller head!

I had loads of them built at one stage, buccaneer/mirage/B-25/RF-101/B-17G/Lightning....

Then I lost interest for a while, then discovered a hobby shop in Eastgate shopping centre (Think JO'burgs answer to the Trafford Centre or Blue Water) that stocked Monogram & hase kits and forgot all about Matchbox :(

I stopped building altogether when I moved to the UK, until last year when I started again. I now have two Matchbox kits in the stash (a 1/72 TF-104C and a Canberra PR.9). Though basic both are nice little kits. I will do the Canberra straight OOB (perhaps with a few aftermarket bits to tart it up), the F-104 is going to be kitbashed into something a bit "different".

All in all Matchbox kits were great value for money and covered some unusual subjects no-one else was covering.

Cheers

O.K.

Love the Canberra Bill but as someone who eventually built this kit as 'in-flight' for a friend of my father's who used to work on them I have to ask, how on earth did you get the nose wheel to stay on the ground and detail the radar-operator's 'pit?

Thanks Col, I cheated! The nose cone actually came from the Italeri B57 - which in turn was used for my Airwaves B2 conversion. The front end of the nose is solid Milliput with some scraps of white metal added. The R-O screen was built flush onto this. The section aft of his bay, and below the pilots area is also solid Milliput. Additionally I have two white metal Aeroclub seats to help!

I enjoyed building this kit, but theres a few inaccuracied that I never corrected- looking forward to getting it right later this year (In BOTH scales!!)