What glue for Polythene figures?

GreenDragon

As the title says what glue works best on polythene figures. I've cut up an Esci poly figure to reposition the legs and used super glue but it doesn't want to work. Any tips on what to use?

Paul Harrison

the only way i have found of joining it is heating and melting together but even that isn't very succesful

plus polythene figures usualy don't hold paint well either being more suitable as a toy than a modelling figure

i'd personaly see if there's any suitable plastic figures , or even to convert !!

Sorry mate you're pretty much out of luck. Polythene is a thermoplastic that doesn't take kindly to adhesive, solvents, or paints. I have used special primers on similar plastics we use for mould seals where we need to join then with superglue, however it's not cheap and there is no guarantee that it will work with your figures. It's made by Loctite, but it's at work so I can't check the name for you, sorry.

rich :frantic:

The "old fashioned" way to join polythene was to use impact adhesive, { Uhu or Bostik or similar} and pin the joint with a piece of brass rod, might still be worth a try.

Hmmm...

Building kitchens atm...

Have tub of pipe solvent which seems to bond some very unlikely plastics...

<wanders off for a bit of an experiment>

Back soon - please do not adjust your sets...

Iain

Hmmm...

Building kitchens atm...

Have tub of pipe solvent which seems to bond some very unlikely plastics...

<wanders off for a bit of an experiment>

Back soon - please do not adjust your sets...

Iain

you'll be lucky if it does fella , but everythings worth a try i tried a solvent out here but with no luck the only real thing that seems to work on thermo type plastics like polythenes is plastic welding , unfortunately only suitable for car bumpers etc ..

the old fashioned way of pin and 'soft' glue seems to be the way for fixings - and a thinned PVA coating as a priming coat helps paint stick . it's still horrible stuff though .

Thanks for the suggestions guys, been modelling for over forty years and never found anything that works! I've tacked it together with some PVA. Hopefully it will hold long enough to paint and take a piccy in the model I'm building.

Paul Harrison

Hmmm...

Back to back tests inconclusive - but still holding:

ju52180809006.JPG

Doesn't seem to melt the polythene though - so may fall apart after a few weeks - will report back...

This is the stuff - Polypipe:

ju52180809008.JPG

More news from Muppet Labs in a few weeks...

And the kitchen :)

ju52180809009.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Yay!! Muppet Science in action! Looks like a big kitchen you've got there.

Paul Harrison

Yay!! Muppet Science in action! Looks like a big kitchen you've got there.

Paul Harrison

Yes very nice... it's even got two mixing decks on the left... very fashionable! :headphones: