Pfalz D.III

Hi all,

i decided to join the GB here! :analintruder: Got the little kit yesterday and thought i should start it right away for a change. The kit looks very nice and currently i´m working on the engine. The first pics will follow tonight.

There are two schemes i like most and i have to decide which one i will do at the end. Stay tuned....

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Mike,

did i had to sign in first? Or is it ok like it did?

It's just fine matey... you're in, it's just Dylan's the "host" for the GB, so he'll probably want to pop in & smile at you ;)

Ar'noon!

Just got up.. Cheeky bugger! Been up since 6 this morning.. :sleep_1:

Anyway Chris. Welcome on board. Am familiar with your work from LSP, and am glad you can join us!

Not sure what Bob von Crumbs will say about another Pfalz in the build, but as I think they're brilliant, the more the merrier.

Do post some pics up when you can.

All the best,

Nick

Here is a small update. I fited the engine into the bearer together with the ammo boxes and all into the fuselage. It took some work to get it fit perfectly and some rips had to be overworked, but all in all i´m very pleased with the result. Now it´s not far to the paintwork. ;)

To see how small these WW1 birds were, i put a figure next to the plane. Hope you like it and as always, comments are most welcome!

post-600-1186867781.jpg

post-600-1186867943.jpg

post-600-1186868008.jpg

post-600-1186868086.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

You & Bob will be competing on the "Who made the best D.III" contest :yahoo:

It is because that are the only two D.III´s.... :lol::D:P But i think i´ll loose....

The figure was painted by my good friend Brian Cauchi from Malta. It is an UltraCast (Canada) figure in 1:32 and it is a German fighter pilot who is standing in front of my 109 K4 actually :) It fits perfectly, i love this figure, but i can´t paint figures, so i asked Brian to do that for me. I´ll soon get some more figures from him... :analintruder:

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

I don't think you will loose. You are a far better modeler than I.

My enjoyment will be sharing as much info as possible and in the process, enjoy building what I think is one of the best looking fighter aircraft ever built.

All the best.

Bob

It is because that are the only two D.III´s.... :lol::D:P But i think i´ll loose....

The figure was painted by my good friend Brian Cauchi from Malta. It is an UltraCast (Canada) figure in 1:32 and it is a German fighter pilot who is standing in front of my 109 K4 actually :) It fits perfectly, i love this figure, but i can´t paint figures, so i asked Brian to do that for me. I´ll soon get some more figures from him... :analintruder:

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Bob & Pete! :)

Bob, we´ll see at the end... :analintruder:

Well, here is the next update, but not much as you can see.

One of the barrels of the MG´s was broken off, so i had to replace them. I used some barrels from a Hasegawa 109 kit from the spare box.

post-600-1187571359.jpg

Some of the paintwork has started. I set some parts in primer, used was here the Tamiya Surface Primer L from a can. Works very well!

post-600-1187571724.jpg

post-600-1187571784.jpg

post-600-1187571878.jpg

That´s it by now. Next i have to get some cockpit parts fit, then the "wooden" fun will start, at least i hope it is fun... :blink:^_^

Cheers mates,

Chris

I like the figure Chris, very nicely painted ^_^ You & Bob will be competing on the "Who made the best D.III" contest :yahoo:

This reminds me of a Biker build off i saw on sky the other day, and one of the bikes broke down on the ride to the show.

Indian Larry (the other builder) helped to get this other bike fixed, and when asked if he would mind if he lost the comp now that he had helped the opposition he said

"there is no competition here, we are all on this sinking ship so why not all bail together"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot mates for all the kind words!

I made some more progress the last days, even though my time is very limited at the moment for some personal things...

However, here are the pics. I tryed to paint wooden surfaces the first time. What do you think?

post-600-1188520811.jpg

post-600-1188520994.jpg

post-600-1188521056.jpg

The basic for the wood was painted with RLM 79 (sandbrown) and lightened up with Zink Cromatic Yellow and white. All was covered with FUTURE to protect the paint.

Here is the stuff i used for the wood. I thought i had to use the brush cleaner, but the effect was already ok for me without it.

post-600-1188521221.jpg

The wood was painted by burned sienna oil paint.

post-600-1188521287.jpg

post-600-1188521335.jpg

post-600-1188521432.jpg

Just a question, should i cover the oilpaint with flat varnish after it is dry, or does the oilpaint dry flat in the end?

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am by no means a WWI expert, but exposed wood would certainly have a varnish to protect it from the elements. Most varnishes used on wood are glossy by default, so I'd see how it looks when dry then maybe go over it with a semi-gloss. I think a flat coat would make it look less like wood and more like brown.

One man's humble opinion..... :hmmm:

Your results, as always, are looking great!