1/48 Buccaneer

Hello all,

I have decided to 'dust off' my attempt at a buccaneer for this group build. It will give me the impotus to keep going with this ridiculous fitting beast.

The intention is to build this as Buccaneer S.2 XV160 104'E'. This aircraft was involved in the bombing of the torrey canyon. I am doing a similar period bird but to the spec of my father who worked on this aircraft back with grey funnel liners. The aircraft will be fitted with slipper tanks

I will have to make the decals myself out of combining many sets and using freightdogs decal sheet for the anti flash colour serials etc.

I have the pavla cockpit set and numerous airwaves sets including the wing fold and airbrake enhancements.

The aircraft will be fully folded so I have chopped the nose so I can scratch build the details.

Progress from the world naval forces build: -

The Buccaneer has been opened and the pavla cockpit looks a little fiddly to fit (Wafer thin resin ahoy!) I have chopped the nose as I intend it to be all folded on deck.

P1000789.jpg

P1000795.jpg

Fitting the cockpit meant paper thin side walls, which took a lot of time. I am not entirely happy with the cockpit painting, not up to my usual standards as the pavla details seem a little on the soft side.

I added some instrument decals from the kit, which are glossy, I will give it a spray of matt varnish and see what happens.

P1000807.jpg

The Buccaneer is fighting, but slow work with CA and lots of filler is working dividends to fit the intakes, I should hopefully have the tail pipes and tail assembly on this week

P1000806.jpg

The tail is on, as are the exhaust pipes which are such a bad fit there is a 1mm step all the way around, so more filler. I should buy shares in filler!

I have also started to scratch build the forward nose bulkhead using evergreen sheet checking all of my references as I go!

More pictures soon!

Anthony

This is looking nice so far. What markings do you need? Ive got a spare second sheet from the new Model alliance sheet and i might be able to help.

Looking at that sheet, I don't think it gives me anything that I can't already patch together. Thank you for the offer, you never know I may be back! Would you be interested in selling your second sheet, I have an S.1 on the cards also which I believe that set covers (All over white one)

The build is getting there, I have been busy scratchbuilding the nose avionics for my fold and putting the wings together. the Tail is fully on and so it is looking more buccaneer like. I will post some pictures maybe tomorrow, depends when I can get my camera hooked up.

I wish arfix would use the same department to design models, the wing tip fit is again about 1mm too shallow, so careful filler work is reforming this shape.

Does anyone know if Halfords will mix any FS/BS number paint? For example extra dark sea grey in a spray can?

Anthony

Looking at that sheet, I don't think it gives me anything that I can't already patch together. Thank you for the offer, you never know I may be back! Would you be interested in selling your second sheet, I have an S.1 on the cards also which I believe that set covers (All over white one)

I will have a think about those S1 markings, if they are all on the spare sheet i have then you are welcome to them.

Well some pictures as promised, I have done a little more work on the nose area which is now primed. A little more work on the cover for the top of the avionics. If anyone has any closer pictures of this it would be greatly appreciated as I only have pictures from in the hangars from miles away!

Enjoy

P1010811.jpg

This picture shows the pen nib fairing and engine exhaust which had a 1mm step all around, it has blended nicely with patience. I am not a brilliant modeller by any standards so if I can do this kit it isnt that bad! I rescribed the panel line with a dentists tool

P1010813.jpg

Work started on airbrake area with airwaves set

P1010814.jpg

Tail

P1010812.jpg

My messy workbench!

P1010815.jpg

Anthony

Ive had a look at the sheet and i only have one set of the S1 markings so i cant help there. Id like to build a pair of S1s sometime, that one and the one preserved at Gatwick.

You look to be making nice progress there. Are they the kit intakes?

No problem with the decals, it is a long term thing anyway, not another bucc straight after this!

You are correct, they are the kit intakes, they took some fitting due to the strange bottom plastic piece on the main fuselage, but super glue sorted it (zap-a-gap)

Anthony

No problem with the decals, it is a long term thing anyway, not another bucc straight after this!

You are correct, they are the kit intakes, they took some fitting due to the strange bottom plastic piece on the main fuselage, but super glue sorted it (zap-a-gap)

Anthony

Are you aware of the Heritage Aviation resin intakes here:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/b...ntakes-26-p.asp

And they make some S1 intakes:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/b...ntakes-27-p.asp

And im either mad or something along those lines but i want to build all 13 of the Gulf War machines in time and at least 3 others.

Are you aware of the Heritage Aviation resin intakes here:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/b...ntakes-26-p.asp

And they make some S1 intakes:

http://www.heritageaviationmodelsltd.com/b...ntakes-27-p.asp

And im either mad or something along those lines but i want to build all 13 of the Gulf War machines in time and at least 3 others.

I have the heritage S1 intakes, but didnt see much point in the s2 ones, I don't think that they look correct in profile, checking my references, something isnt quite right.

I have the heritage S1 intakes, but didnt see much point in the s2 ones, I don't think that they look correct in profile, checking my references, something isnt quite right.

Any idea where the problem lays with the intakes? I plan to use them for my builds so i be interested to know.

Thanks for those references, they will be a massive help.=no problem,glad i could help

What is your pilot? is that a hasegawa pilot with brit survival kit? =yes ,intend to put him in a italeri hawk which is on the back burner,will eventually try casting him in the seat ,all strapped in

Nice Fury=thanks again

I will upload some more pictures of the weekend action tonight, but here is a summary.

I managed to get the slipper tanks on which are again 4 pieces each which seemingly were designed by people in differing corners of the Airfix office. These are nicely blended thanks to Revell Plasto. I am actually enjoying this build, and in particular looking at the books for research etc. I have decided to remove the front radome FOD guard as it didnt look right, so until I can think of a better idea it will be off.

I also glued a ton of weight in the nose ready for me to start some scratch building. I think I may fashion the connecting bracket from metal to support all of this weight.

I have ordered the Flightpath etched set, having seen newbies pics in the ready for inspection. They look miles better on wingfold and the FOD covers, crew ladders etc will be spot on. In addition I have the paragon flaps and weighted wheels to add to the effect. Cutting the flaps will be interesting but do-able, patience again being key.

Anthony

Always wanted to try one of these at some point

will be monitoring your progress carefully. Looks good so far dude!

Ive got a 1970s carrier deck diorama idea lurking somewhere in the recesses of my mind!

I also have a deck idea in my mind, involving a deck lift. I also have a catapult plan for a phantom!

The picture of the nose doesnt look great, but it looks better in reality, and when painted I will be happier with it.

I may attempt to remove the flaps but it may be worth waiting for the resing replacements to appear first. I think I will await the flightpath set and crack on with my skyraider for a couple of nights.

Well the rather comprehensive yet intimidating sheet of brass from flightpath arrived today, should be good. I have made a start on the port flap, it has been removed and the hole which has been left is being remodelled with some filler

I will add some pictures at some point

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

I have finished the port flap and wing fold structure now and done a little more nose scratch building. Progress is slow (It will be done for Telfrod I am sure) but I have made some decals so looking forward to trying these.

I have been working on something else which has been lurking on my bench for a while and that is very nearly finished - Look for the ready for inspection later this week!

(a hint - It is 1/48 large and all white!)