Airfix 1:48 PR9

Here goes with my entry. I made a start tonight on her with lots of sanding to get the nose part to fit. First off some photos of the Alley Cat parts if you have not seen them before:

dsc7480b.jpg

dsc7481i.jpg

The resin is almost perfect, i can only find one small air hole on the bottom of one wing tank.

And the kit:

dsc7482n.jpg

And then my progress so far:

dsc7483i.jpg

dsc7484e.jpg

As for the colur scheme i cant decide between the white and black scheme or the Red, white an blue scheme.

Hi Ollie,

Only just looked at this and hate too say it but the nose side window posn is too high on the Airfix kit.

It should be below the engraved (trench) line.

Easy to solve by drilling out and shaping and fill with Krystal Clear after having filling and sanding the glazing you have already fitted.

Thinking of gettting this set myself.

Can also reccomend the Cammett replacement Rudder. See Relish models Graham is very helpful.

Also;

1. Sbd Engine oblong vent needs filling in and moving to the outer side in the same position.

2. Outer flap section Step 31 Items 41C & 42C need a 1mm wide strip adding to the upper surface full width.

Corresponding upper wing section needs a 1mm removing.

3. Add Actuator housing to the port side fin.

4. Wing items 11 & 31 need Slot and hole adding before gluing wings together. Check refs to see what I mean.

5. Step 9 Use J8 NOT 34C

6. Step 10 Use J9 NOT 36C

Theres one or two more but will have to check.

Adrian

I thought something might be up with that window. To be honest though for this one i dont want to spend ages correcting all the errors. Im not looking for 100% accuracy on this one. Im sure i will build another PR9 and i can then go to town correcting things.

Thank you though for pointing out the errors in the instructions, i will note them and make sure i use the right parts.

Edited by ollieholmes

Hi Ollie,

Only just looked at this and hate too say it but the nose side window posn is too high on the Airfix kit.

It should be below the engraved (trench) line.

Easy to solve by drilling out and shaping and fill with Krystal Clear after having filling and sanding the glazing you have already fitted.

Thinking of gettting this set myself.

Can also reccomend the Cammett replacement Rudder. See Relish models Graham is very helpful.

Also;

1. Sbd Engine oblong vent needs filling in and moving to the outer side in the same position.

2. Outer flap section Step 31 Items 41C & 42C need a 1mm wide strip adding to the upper surface full width.

Corresponding upper wing section needs a 1mm removing.

3. Add Actuator housing to the port side fin.

4. Wing items 11 & 31 need Slot and hole adding before gluing wings together. Check refs to see what I mean.

5. Step 9 Use J8 NOT 34C

6. Step 10 Use J9 NOT 36C

Theres one or two more but will have to check.

Adrian

Adrian

I agree that the nav's window on the Airfix kit is too high but according to the pictures and drawings in the recently published Aeroguide the panel line cuts through the window. Nightmare!

Tony :clif:

• 2 weeks later...

Ollie,

Looking rather nice so far :thumbsup2: Ali has done a smashing job on his nose sections. Re bomb bay, I will have a look through my refs and see what I have, drop me a PM with your email addy and I should have my broadband back over the weekend, and I can then upload my files again as Im sharing Lou's lappy at the mo :crying:

ATB

Bexy