RAF Waddington

Andy K

Hi,

It's been a while (10 years I think) since I visited Waddington and I believe the ACMI range is now closed, so is there much happening there these days? When I was there lots of aircraft were in and out all day. It's just that I was thinking of going there soon but as it's a bit of a trek I was wondering if the amount of aircraft likely to be seen would be worth it?

Ta!

Always worth going Andy, but as you say no more ACMI. You do however now have 3 different aircraft types based there, and if all fails and Waddo is dead when you get there, jump back in the wheels and 30 mins later hey presto, RAF Connningsby - always something going on there. Cranwell also 15 mins drive away (excluding Scampton before anyone jumps in)

Cheers Gary! I should really spend a couple of days over there, that way I could do all of 'em. :D (Wonder if the Missus fancies a week in Lincolnshire....."Ooo look Sweetheart there's RAF Waddington and RAF Coningsby and a bit further down there is a Lancaster at East Kirkby and and...." :chair: )

Edited by Andy K

I don't think it's overly busy, nothing like the good old ACMI days. Even with 3 aircraft types based there that's only a maximum of 7 Sentry's, 3 Nimrod's and about 2 Sentinel's.

If you'd had asked the question a month ago I'm sure you would have got a shed load of replies saying get down there for those Indian Flankers!

Hmmm,.....I think you'd be a bit disappointed Andy. From driving by the lookout point on the A17, there are very few cars parked now whereas it used to be packed a few years ago. There seems to be only sporadic flying now and although Waddo does get some interesting visitors (VC-10 and Hercs here this week) they are few and far between.

Coningsby is a much better bet for spotting. There appears to be air traffic virtually everyday..Tornados, Tiffies and Harriers plus occasional F-15E fly-bys and various visitors to see. Also, if you're lucky, you'll catch site of some of the BBMF going through their paces and possibly, just possibly....(~catches breath~) even a DH Chipmunk!! :o ...no really, if you're lucky :rolleyes:

HTH