Spitfire camouflage demarcation

dylan the rabbit

I've just finished masking up my Spitfire, and found this to be quite useful. I've never normally got it right before.

A chap on ARC (Grant in West Oz) posted this image, so thanks Grant, as you mention it's free to all, I hope you don't mind!

238341633.jpg

As far as I can tell, the image (as printed) is 1/72nd scale. Pattern B, and based on official drawings.

Use conversion factors to upscale it to 1/48th or 1/32nd, increase the size of the image in your photo software, and then print it. There's a good scale convertor on ARC, and all you need to do is increase the print size of the file by whatever factor it tells you.

For example, to increase this from 1/72nd to 1/32nd, I divided the image size by 0.44, and set that new figure in Photoshop when I increased the width of the print size.

My method of using the print was to lay the paper on the cutting mask, cut out the middle of the pattern (thus leaving the outline) and then layer Tamiya tape over that.

Cut through the tape following the outline, and hey presto. Wrap it over the model and you're sorted.

I would suggest having a copy of the camo scheme in front of you as it needs a little fine tuning, but it's one of the easiest methods I've come across so far for home made Spitfire masking.

Cheers Grant! Got one for a Hurricane?

Nick

Looks really handy, I'll have to give it a go on one of the two Spitfires I'm currently doing.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

That looks great Nick, the slowest part of the painting process for me is making up the paper masks, I even made up duplicates from the Mk XII for the Mk XIV, but as usual I lost them. This looks better as it "lives" in the PC so I'm unlikely to lose it.

Cheers

Den

I was wondering about making some up using lead foil... I do enough Spits to use them, and the foil would be reusable and hold itself down...

I think that Grant, who designed them, sold the masks as well cut out of a rubber material. Just like the real thing!

Mike