Airfix comet

woody37

Hi guys,

Just won an Airfix Comet on ebay, so wondering what the kit is like and also asking for any of you kind gentlemen to post some pictures of any finished ones you have for inspiration. Think I will be building this and my VC10 in tandem next.

Cheers

Neil

It's not too bad to make but it does need quite a bit or filler where the wing joins and a few sink marks.

Also being a Comet 4B you're limited to decal options. BEA, Dan Air and I think Olympic were the main users of this type.

Here's some pictures of the build of mine...

253207587.jpg

254853075.jpg

254853077.jpg

255432515.jpg

255981367.jpg

256528161.jpg

258523883.jpg

258523885.jpg

258523890.jpg

258523886.jpg

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33945

and here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33940

You will probably need to use a lot of filler around the wing to fuse join and a bit of work on the wing halves to disguise the join

I'd also recommend putting some backing card in the engine intakes

Edited by kev1n

Gutted, I tried getting some of the BEA Airtours decals from Ray, but he's out of stock. Really like the colours with the blue tail and union jack tail logo and your thread has made me jealous ! Superb model Kev. Also like the Dan Air one, but as I already have a 1-11 in that livery, thought I would do something different.

The Airfix Comet is by far the best of the first generation of the thier airliner kits. It's not without fault but the errors are by and large correctable, unlike those found on Vanguard.

I think Ray at Two Six makes a 4C conversion kit, basically altered wing-tips with slipper tanks. One has to shorten the fuselage yourself.

Liveries Unlimited produce a range of decals for Comet 3B including BEA "red square".

Olympic used 4B's. they were loaned some 3B's for a short while to tide them over, but those remained in BEA livery.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Liveries Unlimited produce a range of decals for Comet 3B including BEA "red square".

make that "used to produce"...

they have been out of print for a while so you will be lucky to find any

personally I'd kill for s few of these sheets.....

Edited by kev1n

Did'nt realise they where OOP, picked up a job lot of what I assumed was new [given the low price] of all the BEA "red square" they produced, plus sundry others decals late last year. In fact I'm looking at the Comet ones now.

Marty...

I admit to being insanely jealous then....

I think I'll come round your house and stick a bat up your nightdress....

• 2 months later...

ok then.....I need to get on with my Trident 3 conversions...VC10....so many models to build....

looking forward to seeing them :)

• 1 month later...

Comet wings on, intake internals built up with Milliput, windows filled and model primed for painting.

My biggest disappointment with this model is the frisbie like wheels. Pictures I have seen have depth to them, will have to use some weathering solution to try to give the illusion.

Comet wings on, intake internals built up with Milliput, windows filled and model primed for painting.

My biggest disappointment with this model is the frisbie like wheels. Pictures I have seen have depth to them, will have to use some weathering solution to try to give the illusion.

Wot!!!!!!!!!!! No Picture? LOL

Chris.

Have a look at the TWO-SIX web site.

All you could want in the way of red square schemes, and comparing the two, as good if not better than the Liveries Unlimited sheets.

Regards.

Chris.

Chris, I've already got two decal sets for it from Ray, got the red square livery originaly because he was out of stock on the BEA speedjack Airtours one. He then got some in stock so I got them and that's the livery I'm going for.

Got the Cambrian 1-11 on the go as well, both going together very well.

I'll just have to source another Comet to use up the red square decals !!!!!

Have a look at the TWO-SIX web site.

All you could want in the way of red square schemes, and comparing the two, as good if not better than the Liveries Unlimited sheets.

Regards.

Chris.

ok :)