Mach2 1:72 Vickers Valiant

Mike

Hmmmm.... seem to have lost a mudguard to the nosewheel of my Valiant.... anyone got a spare?

Meantime I've been putting various little bits on the airframe after weathering it lightly, and making a couple of pitot probes from hypodermic needles - one for each wingtip :)

:wicked: Good job I had some spare main wheels... I've chopped a chunk out of one & Dremelled & sanded it to shape to match the remaining kit mudguard. It's not quite 100% yet, but once the first coat of Mr Surfacer has dried on both parts, I'll be better placed to make the final adjustments :)

Hi Mike,

Great looking finish on the Valiant. I agree with Andy 100%. Panel lines certainly add visual interest and define the shape and structure of the plane.

Judging from the splendid job you've done so far, i think we can start making bets that Airfix will announce one for 2010, ha ha.

Really spectacular job. Hard to believe there's a Mach 2 kit under there somewhere.

Thanks for Posting.

All the Best,

david

I think the Airfix kit is mooted to be the limited edition kit for 2010... I've heard too many different sources mention it to doubt it too much now, which was one of the reasons for getting her finished now! :lol:

I think the Airfix kit is mooted to be the limited edition kit for 2010... I've heard too many different sources mention it to doubt it too much now, which was one of the reasons for getting her finished now! :lol:

Trever Snowden told me himself at SMW that this is happening.

Trever Snowden told me himself at SMW that this is happening.

I was talking to another Airfixer who confirmed it... I can feel a green/grey one coming on :)

Here she is in 95% complete condition. She's been airbrushed with a good few layers of satin varnish, and I've been unable to resist the urge to remove all my home made masking for the glazing. I'm sure it's not even 90% accurate, but it looks a damn sight better than the kit framing! :lol:

I've also added the two pitots, that I made from hypodermic tubing, some fine aluminium tubing & some brass rod for the "root". You'll see I've also unmasked the wingtip lights, which came out quite nicely :)

airframe15.jpg

The whole airframe was given a very light weathering treatment, using oils diluted with fine white spirit, which was then streaked across the airframe in the direction of the airflow. The most notable area of weathering are the outlets on the underside of the engine nacelles, and the diagonal panel line that runs under the tail, where fluids can be seen leaking from most in-service airframes.

airframe16.jpg

I've just noticed I've not unmasked the bomb aimer's windows... :o

It has been my intention to create a representation of a working Valiant, and I'm fairly happy with the end result. Of course there are a few mistakes & odd shapes here & there, but given the limitations of the kit, it'll do ;)

Here are the remaining bits that need adding. Front to back, we've got the remains of the donor wheel that became the replacement mudguard. On the left, the nose wheel bay doors, with a scratch built antenna attached to the port door, which just needs painting white to match the door. To the right is the pair of mudguards - Andy (Melchie) is sending me a spare, so I can pick the best of the three, so these bits will take a while getting on the wheel. At the front is a sprue with the kit antenna that install on the rear edge of the canopy blister. I'll scratch build some replacements as these things are rough in the extreme. There are also a pair behind the bomb aimer's blister that I'll add too, as they seem present on a lot of airframes.

bits.jpg

More later.

Mike, we definitely need to get this one on the tables at Yeovilton, MK etc.

peebeep

Too bloody right 'Beep :thumbsup2: With Mikeew & Cop's Vulcan & Victor :worthy:

Why? Is there a big coffee stain you need to cover? :fool:

Oi Boss, just do as youre told, dont argue :tease::bleh::tease:

Bex

Got to say thats one damn fine looking build Mike

Thanks Sean... I unmasked the bomb aimer's windows before I finished for the night, and they were all dusty! :lol: That's what you get for cutting the nose off, I guess? They never used the BAW anyway, so it was bound to get dusty :unsure:

:lol: You mean you haven't started yet even though you've had those intakes for about 2 years? :o

Get on with it! Don't forget there's another one along in 2010, so the quicker you get started, the more time you can bask in the glory of finishing one before the Airfix one comes along ;)

:lol: You mean you haven't started yet even though you've had those intakes for about 2 years? :o

Get on with it! Don't forget there's another one along in 2010, so the quicker you get started, the more time you can bask in the glory of finishing one before the Airfix one comes along ;)

2 years!? A mere blink of an I in my stash through put timescales. Although getting it finished before the Airfix release sounds like a plan. Building it afterwards would just be masochistic. :banghead:

Grant von MustBuildFasterBetter....

C'mon Grant, get that puppy out of the stash this instant... you could make serious inroads to her over the Christmas break ;)

General Melchett's spare Mudguards arrived today (big thanks Andy!) in a little padded envelope, so today will see my finish the Valiant, unless I get called away or run over by a yacht in the back garden - which is possible given the amount of rain we've had today. :snorkle: