Austin 3 ton K5 truck

Spit Fan

Hi first post. I am lucky enough to have the old Bandai 1/48th Austin 3 tonner K5 truck kit in my stash and would to know if this particular vehicle was used by the RAF in WW2 and if so during what time frame. I would assume if it were it would not have been painted in Blue-Grey during the war. Many thanks in advance, John R.

Hi first post. I am lucky enough to have the old Bandai 1/48th Austin 3 tonner K5 truck kit in my stash and would to know if this particular vehicle was used by the RAF in WW2 and if so during what time frame. I would assume if it were it would not have been painted in Blue-Grey during the war. Many thanks in advance, John R.

Hi, Don't think the K5 was used by the RAF, strictly an army type. Standard RAF 4x4 in this class was the Crossley. Cheers Andrew.

If used, it would have been painted in the standard Army colours of the period. See http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

The RAF did use other 4x4s, including the AEC Matador, but I don't recall seeing any photos of RAF K5s.

Thanks for the information. I had suspected that this vehicle wasn't in wide spread, if at any, use with the RAF. If it had been I am sure it would have been used in quite a few diorama over the years. Hopefully we will see some main stream kits of RAF vehicles at a reasonable price in the near future. John R.