SPAD XII Project

Spad57

Afternoon All,

Here's another project for you enjoyment.This my conversion of the old Testor's/Hawk SPAD XIII to SPAD XII configuration.For this project my references were very slim,so in noway do I consider it 100% accurate but as close as I could come.I currently trying to track down better references and drawing for a 1/32 scale version of this project using the HobbyCraft SPAD XII.So if you have any insights to drawing or other references on the SPAD XII please feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail.

The conversion involved beginning with the fuselage an awful lot of filing and sanding.The entire fuselage needed reshaping to match my one and only Windsock drawing used in the project.This process removed most if not all of the donor kits detail which were then replaced with plastic card stock.The entire rear fuselage required reskinning with thin plastic card including the turtle deck.All the rib details were embossed on the inside of the new skin before installation on the fuselage,Once I was satisfied with the fuselage halves my attention turn toward the interior.I tried to fit in all the detail I could.Some of these included the rear section of the Hisso the main armament a 37mm cannon , ready service ammo boxes,engine mount/seat frame and of course the SPAD's rather odd flight controls.The standard joystick couldn't be fitted to the actual type due to the fact that the cannon's breech was almost directly between the pilot's knees.It's shame most of the details I included aren't seen on the completed XII. AMS strikes again. With the interior completed the fuselage was then closed .

So what to do next you ask.The wings were the next part of the journey.Both the upper and lower wing were first sanded down to remove all the molded valleys between the ribs.Once this was done both wings were cut down to the proper length and cord.Detail were replaced with strip and card stock,flaps removed and repositioned.Somewhere during all this I made new tail surfaces ans vertical surfaces from once again plastic card stock,stips and HSS.Following that everything was prepainted using MM paint each with a touch of SNJ Aluminum power,then decaled with bit and pieces from an old Blue Rider Sheet.Some of the marking required hand painting as you can see.

The final bit was to assemble it all together without screwing something up.With that complete all the rigging was applied use Nylon thread.Ta Da she a done deal.As always any and all commits are much appreciated.Ok guys and ladies enough of my babbling out ,on to the photos.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

:heart: that is a real beauty you have there spad57 . i have an eduard one in the stash somewhere , but nothing much as refs yet - have you tried the guys at ? = http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/index.php

Blimp,

Many thanks for your kind words.the are truly appreciated.Yes I've posted on the Drome looking for information,so far the fella have be very helpful.But still looking for better drawing.The Eduard's SPAD is a XIII not a XII but still a SPAD none the lest.Build it my friend , get a hold of Windsock Datafile #32 SPAD XIII C1.Great ref.for any SPAD project.I even used it to fill some of the gaps for this project.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Great looking SPAD and what a wonderful build of the old Hawk/Testors kit of yesteryear...!!

Cheers,

ggc