Handley Page Victor

brooksy

Hi folks,

could anyone give me some advice on the 1/72 Revell Victor please, namely the air intakes. I haven't started the build yet, as it will be part of the Gulf War GB, but I recall several people saying the intakes were a really bad shape. I've paired up the wing halves with tape, and they don't look too bad to me, except for the curvature of the lower edge, and the nightmare of filling and sanding the splitter plates :S . Does anyone have any experience of fixing this, or are the Flightpath intakes the way to go? Any advice would be most welcome :thumbsup2:

Thanks in advance

Andy :)

Hi folks,

could anyone give me some advice on the 1/72 Revell Victor please, namely the air intakes. I haven't started the build yet, as it will be part of the Gulf War GB, but I recall several people saying the intakes were a really bad shape. I've paired up the wing halves with tape, and they don't look too bad to me, except for the curvature of the lower edge, and the nightmare of filling and sanding the splitter plates :S . Does anyone have any experience of fixing this, or are the Flightpath intakes the way to go? Any advice would be most welcome :thumbsup2:

Thanks in advance

Hi Andy, I used the Flightpath intakes on my B2 (and K1) - a very straightforward swap over. A you say the biggest problem with the kit pars is the intake vanes and hiding and blending the gaps. FOD covers could be your friend here! Rather hopeful that someone will produce new intakes. My builds appeared in SAMi a year or so ago, and I think that there are a couple of threads on here. Ted Taylor most certainly built his K2 using the kit parts. Worth checking his site out (Link should be found on here somewhere!).

Hey Andy

SNAP!

Bill has mentioned two options. My preferred one is out due to cost! no prizes for guessing which option that is

First of all i am going to try one of a couple of ways suggested by a friend.

a bit involved and it won't be easy but might be worth a shot.

I may cut out the vanes.

use as a template to make new ones

stick new ones in

sounds easy enough but looking at them suggests otherwise.

an alternative will be to chop out say the lower half, glue to the uppers, fill and sand to seamless perfection. join wing halves together.

If it goes the way of Pyrus, then FOD covers to the rescue!

We have been asked to do replacement intakes as well and frankly it is not going to happen. As long as Flightpath have their beauties out there, there is simply no point in it.

Good luck with the kit Andy, I hear it is a lot of fun (tongue firmly in cheek) to build!

Happy modeling

Mike

I did mine the hard way years ago, with filler and a sanding stick.

A lot of work but worth the effort. (if I can find the pictures I'll post some)

Dave

Thanks for the feedback guys :thumbsup2:

Bill, I shall definately look at Ted's site for some inspiration. I should mention that I cannot use FOD covers, as my Victor will be in-flight, with a pair of Jags in tow :) . My first attempt at a diorama, if you can call it that. That's why I'm chuffed that the GB is going to run for a year. If all else fails, I will have to ignore the shape inaccuracies, and just spend the time and effort filling and sanding the joins in the vanes.

Should be good fun, and if what's in my head is what I end up with, it should look nice. I've never seen it done before, so I'm hoping that it'll be an original :smartass:

I shall look out for a flightpath set, although Hannants are showing them out of stock, so it looks like they are the preverbial 'rocking horse poo'

Cheers for now

Thanks for the feedback guys :thumbsup2:

Hannants are showing them out of stock, so it looks like they are the preverbial 'rocking horse poo'

Cheers for now

Not here they aren't! We have them in stock - both Mk.1 & 2 Sets. Hannants had a load from us recently but have obviously sold them.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

I did mine the hard way years ago, with filler and a sanding stick.

A lot of work but worth the effort. (if I can find the pictures I'll post some)

Dave

that would be good, as im going down the non-aftermarket route as well.

steve

One way to improve the intakes is to remove the splitter plates altogether and line the intakes with plastic card. Use filler to blend. Join the wing halves and fill and sand the joins. You should end up with something thats a vast improvement over the kit intakes. Then make some splitter plates and install. I have a Victor on the bench at the moment but Im at the painting stage so I cant show any construction on my intakes. The kit is a challenge but I feel that the worst part of the kit is the canopy. Hopefully I will get her completed and will post some shots soon.

I should mention that I cannot use FOD covers, as my Victor will be in-flight, with a pair of Jags in tow :)

Hmmmm.....Jaguar IFR probes in 1/72nd scale now Andy??

Here's a few pic's of the Flightpath resin intakes - definitely well worth the purchase!

And I think you'll find that purchasing direct from David at Flightpath is a pleasant exercise :thumbsup2:

The Intake for the Mk 2 - with the hacked about Matchbox/Revell plastic. In this instance I converted the K2 into a B2

000_0348.jpg

Both of Flightpath's intakes. The K1 conversion is at the top, the B2 wing below. One thing to watch out for with this kit is the wings trailing edge droops far too much.

It could do with a gentle twist mid section.

100_2740.jpg

This is about the only pic I could find of the intake on my by now primed B2, I'll see if I can come up with any others

100_3384.jpg

One way to improve the intakes is to remove the splitter plates altogether and line the intakes with plastic card. Use filler to blend. Join the wing halves and fill and sand the joins. You should end up with something thats a vast improvement over the kit intakes. Then make some splitter plates and install. I have a Victor on the bench at the moment but Im at the painting stage so I cant show any construction on my intakes. The kit is a challenge but I feel that the worst part of the kit is the canopy. Hopefully I will get her completed and will post some shots soon.

That's a pity Andy as it was how i was considering doing it as mentioned above.

there is a fantastic build with the flightpath by Jan Forsgren , and also in SAM i think

two attempts at the canopy Andy so you weren't alone on that score

Actually Walrus old thing Jan uses the original intakes not the FP set, but in the end decided to use FOD covers as an option.

Here's a few shots of my B2's DB intakes, as Bill Clark says they really are worth the purchase and make a massive difference to the look of the model. Hope they're of some help.

Andy

P1050641-2.jpg

P1050640-2.jpg

P1050645-1-1.jpg

I was looking on my Photobucket list, but don't seem to have any close-up's of my Victor intakes. However as the general and others say it's well worth the Flightpath Set, expensive, yes but the difference it makes is worth the cost and effort.

Just don't do what I did on one ..... superglued a B1 intake to my thumb !!

Yes it is a load of work, just don't rush it and get up tight, the finished article is truly worth the effort (from a mug who's built 4 Victors and has a 5th still in the box .....)

'V'

Steve, you don't actually twist the wing it's more a correction to the angle of the outer wing panel to get it to lie level with the ground line. All you need to do, ( or all I did at any rate), cut off the locating tab and make two smaller ones from sheet metal for strength ( not easy for everyone I appreciate), then raise the rear edge of the outer wing and blend the whole area smooth using Milliput or similar, this way the 'carrots' end up level rather than pointing incorrectly towards the ground and you have the torsional strength needed .

Hope this shows the area that is affected,

P1050646-1-1.jpg

Walrus, LOL, yes he did have a few problems with the canopy, I had a go but decided in the end to use the kit part, sanded it down completely smooth using Micro Mesh then using scaled drawings, ( Arthur Bentleys excellent plans), rescribed the canopy framing. This meant I could position the windows more acurately , particularly the lower side ones which are a fairly complex shape rather than the too small' squares' of the kit part.

Edited by general melchett

That is one very nice Vic.

Intakes are just but 1 area in need of improvement.

C Scale did a 'detail' set many moons ago adding some missing detail and some ariels etc.

The late Peter Lockhart of Maintrack Models in Hastings did a good article in SAM in an article 'Improve the image'

Aircraft Modelworld (mag) did a 'Make a Beter Victor' by BM's very own Ted Taylor in their June 84 issue.

Some errors are,..

The cabin rear windows are too high

No OMEGA panels

No stiffener plates on the wings etc etc

Adrian

Cheers Adrian, you're right about the errors , there are lots!! The rear canopy windows have always been a problem and would require a rebuild of the whole area to correct .This is something I'm doing with my next Victor, a 543 squadron SR2. A friend of both 'V' and myself is a very clever fella and has vacformed some new canopies which include the whole area that needs to be altered. It sits lower which will necessitate some surgery to the side walls of the cockpit so that the correct window depth can be achieved.This will be a fair bit of work but should look the dogs danglies when done.

Regarding the aerials and Omega plates it's all down to which aircraft you choose to model. Same goes for the wing stiffeners which were applied a lot later in the Victors life, in two stages, the first internal for the large slipper tanks fitted to some early B2's , SR2'S and all K2's following conversion or retrofit and later the external stiffners were applied to the K2 as re enforcement for the extra weight of the Mk 20B refuelling pods. Also at one point the Victor was to be fitted with 350 gal wing tip tanks! ( there are also a couple of plates that are missing on the starboard nose opposite the entry door.....the list goes on!!),

Bottom line ....do your research on your particular airframe as no two aircraft were the same !!,

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Cheers Adrian, you're right about the errors , A friend of both 'V' and myself is a very clever fella and has vacformed some new canopies which include the whole area that needs to be altered. It sits lower which will necessitate some surgery to the side walls of the cockpit so that the correct window depth can be achieved.This will be a fair bit of work but should look the dogs danglies when done.

Andy

Now that is an unusual approach Andy!

Any thoughts on 'sharing' this 'mod' to BM folks? For a distribution of some Queens GBP of course?

With how some alterations have gone before Mike&twomikes could end up being busy?

Adrian

Edited by atdb27

Steve, you don't actually twist the wing it's more a correction to the angle of the outer wing panel to get it to lie level with the ground line. All you need to do, ( or all I did at any rate), cut off the locating tab and make two smaller ones from sheet metal for strength ( not easy for everyone I appreciate), then raise the rear edge of the outer wing and blend the whole area smooth using Milliput or similar, this way the 'carrots' end up level rather than pointing incorrectly towards the ground and you have the torsional strength needed .

Hope this shows the area that is affected,

P1050646-1-1.jpg

Walrus, LOL, yes he did have a few problems with the canopy, I had a go but decided in the end to use the kit part, sanded it down completely smooth using Micro Mesh then using scaled drawings, ( Arthur Bentleys excellent plans), rescribed the canopy framing. This meant I could position the windows more acurately , particularly the lower side ones which are a fairly complex shape rather than the too small' squares' of the kit part.

ahhh, right..NOW i see what you are on about! :thumbsup:

just done a dry fit and it works!!..thank you Gen. Melchett SAH!!

steve

I don't love you anymore Andy :(

what was going to br a simple build with a few scratch corrections is looking rather lame now! :lol:

Thanks for the tip about the individuality of each airframe. Will try and source as much as possible on Maid Marion

(already found a piece of door art but not sure if this was post Desert Storm) I think this will be the least of the problems!

Also i forgot to thank you and Bill for posting the builds

Along with photos on the net of the real thing, has enabled me to have a check against a dry fit and is not looking so clever

The shape of the intake as i think mentioned above is not wot it oughta.

I reckon i could get away with some sculpting- but to get it right on two intakes :yikes:

so do i pick up the gauntlet as a challenging excercise or save up some pennies for the Flightpath set :frantic:

and apologies to Brooksey for jumping into your thread

No problem Walrus Old Bean, it's all relevent info for us Victor builders, and very welcome to get peoples ideas and fixes for the problems with the kit. I'm with you on the intake thing aswell. I love the look of the Flightpath set, and I'm sure it would save lots of time, which I am always short of. Having said that, I originally wanted to scratchbuild any improvements to develop my modelling. David's reply earlier in this thread (thanks David) would put to bed the idea that they are hard to find, so it's decision time for me :hmmm:

Regards

Edited by brooksy

Thanks Andy

Thinking about it overnight my plan will be to tackle it myself to try and improve my skills. If it goes badly wrong then there is the safety net of the Flightpath set

David won't necessarily be out of pocket though if i do manage to pull it off as there are a few goodies in the Flightpath range i am wanting for sure!

edit: i think there is a lot of stuff on BM about the Victor and mods required

i will try to collate and post it

Edited by walrus

Hi Walrus

I'm right with you on doing it without the A/M wherever I can - mainly because I'm a tight fisted old git but also because of a greater sense of satisfaction when i do it! :winkgrin:

Dunno if this helps - here's a couple of pics of a Victor I did around the time the kit came out (25+ yrs ago? :hypnotised: ).

This was before the resin intakes were about so it was done with bits of plastic strip/card and copious amounts of Milliput. It has worked reasonably well for me and I have done it on 2 more since. I was doing it for a Victor captain who was leaving the fleet so I felt a degree of pressure top get it as right as I could.

BadgersVictor0003.jpg

BadgersVictor0004.jpg

BadgersVictor0007.jpg

When I can dig them out (should be shortly!) I can post some pics of the work done if that would be of any help.

As far as the intake vanes go, they are all too deep into the intake and need moving forwards - note, they are all white except the inboard-most one which is camo coloured.

As for the twist to the wing, I simply cut the wing top surface along the panel line immediately outboard of the main undercarriage wells, sanded a little away and imparted a twist to that panel by lifting the trailing edge at the outer end of the flap bay, the aim being as mentioned above, the get the wing section at that point to lie more or less parallel with the fuselage datum.

Give it a go, it is not so difficult and a darned sight cheaper!

cheers

Rick