boeing 707 in 1/72?

hi guys.

like the title says, does anyone make a 72nd 707?..and if so, who and do they have a spares service :please:

steve

Heller did it yonks ago at the same time as the E3 release. I think BOAC/Air France were the options. Airfix seemed to get custody of their moulds. Maybe you should try them?

If you dont want Mrs Steve to really go beserk Steve, you might want to forget this one :whistle:

Its a smidge over the bloody mahoosive side :yikes:

Bexy

If you dont want Mrs Steve to really go beserk Steve, you might want to forget this one :whistle:

Its a smidge over the bloody mahoosive side :yikes:

Bexy

hiya bex, yeah she knows, i have the airfix e3 sentry but its missing tailplanes..as shes based on a 707, and having no joy with airfix i thought id throw the question open.

steve vonhiding

hiya bex, yeah she knows, i have the airfix e3 sentry but its missing tailplanes..as shes based on a 707, and having no joy with airfix i thought id throw the question open.

Thats fair enough Steve Ol' Bean, good thinking :worthy:

steve vonhiding

Shouldnt that be "Steve von LuckyToBeAlive" :bleh:

steve vonhiding

I've got a couple of the E-3's and a number of the AMT C-135's which AFAIK the Heller/Airfix ones came from originally, and they're not a bad kit. The E-3 to be technically correct (I'm not a rivet counter --- honestly) is based on a 707-320 as I found out one day when I had the Airfix and AMT kits out together, the inner wing is quite different between the two. I think even the fuselage cross-section is also different but I've not checked it out, just read something about it somewhere.

The Heller 707 was originally issued as a 707-320B passenger jet. Later on it was transmogrified into an E-3 that was more or less (more less than more) correct for that variant. Later still Airfix got hold of the molds and cut plastic for new engines and other parts for RAF and French Sentries. All of them are the same core kit however. The E-3 variants lack all the cabin windows (correctly), whereas the passenger versions have them (wrong shape and too large though they are).

The AMT KC-135 (now out from Italeri, and lately out in a Heller box) is a *TOTALLY* different airplane. No more similar than a Spit Mk.1 and a Spit PR.XIX. They issued from the same progenitor, but that's about all they share. Parts are not generally interchangeable between the two kits (nor needed). The AMT KC is the more accurate of the two by a long shot.

J

thanks for all your replies guys. somehow i knew this one would fight me a little :)

seriously though, its really good there are people here with all this knowledge of what are sometimes obscure questions...my hat is off to you guys :speak_cool:

oh and david h..you have new mail :)

steve

The Heller 707 was originally issued as a 707-320B passenger jet. Later on it was transmogrified into an E-3 that was more or less (more less than more) correct for that variant. Later still Airfix got hold of the molds and cut plastic for new engines and other parts for RAF and French Sentries. All of them are the same core kit however. The E-3 variants lack all the cabin windows (correctly), whereas the passenger versions have them (wrong shape and too large though they are).

J

Question for the expert if I may:

can the Heller 707 kit be used / modified into a 707-131 ?

and is there some modelling info available ?

Thanks in advance, Rolf

If you get really stuck, couldn't you just cut some out of styrene sheet, sand it to shape & engrave the panel lines?

If it's a raised panel line affair, Archer Fine Transfers do raised panel lines for just such an eventuality :)

Question for the expert if I may:

can the Heller 707 kit be used / modified into a 707-131 ?

and is there some modelling info available ?

Thanks in advance, Rolf

"Can" it be? Sure. You could convert a P-51 Mustang into a 707-131 if you were talented enough I suppose. But seriously, I guess it would be possible to cross-kit the Heller 707 fuselage with the AMT/Ertl KC-135 wing, but it would be a MASSIVE project. The entire wing/body fairing is completely different on the -120 than on the KC-135 or the 707-320B. The Heller fuselage would have to be shortened considerably, and that wing/body fairing built from scratch, then you'd have to somehow mount the KC-135 wing on it.

J

"Can" it be? Sure. You could convert a P-51 Mustang into a 707-131 if you were talented enough I suppose. But seriously, I guess it would be possible to cross-kit the Heller 707 fuselage with the AMT/Ertl KC-135 wing, but it would be a MASSIVE project. The entire wing/body fairing is completely different on the -120 than on the KC-135 or the 707-320B. The Heller fuselage would have to be shortened considerably, and that wing/body fairing built from scratch, then you'd have to somehow mount the KC-135 wing on it.

J

Many thanks J ! although it's a bit af a disappointment as I bought a Heller 707 almost 30 years ago with the hope of sometime modelling the subject below......

Seems I might be able to make some other modeller happy then.

Rolf

HB-IEG.jpg

Hi Steve,

PM inbound buddy I have some info you will want me thinks?

Adrian

What anyone needs for this is D & S Vol23 The 707 & AWACS (a bible to modellers IMHO)

ISBN is

UK 0-85368-837-0

USA 0-8306-8533-2

Edited by atdb27