Keef's Build

keefr22

Just a quick update - after a couple of days of fiddly masking, I've managed to get the white, red & black basecoats on. Hope to get the clearcoat on tomorrow. I'm really bad for fiddling about with paint, can't just stick to one brand & always messing about experimenting with stuff, so this one has three different makes of paint on it ! The white is Zero paint Porsche glacier white, red is Games Workshop blood red & the black is Tamiya Matt black which I wanted to try thinned with cellulose thinners for the first time. Really impressed with thinning them this way, it airbrushed beautifully! Hope to get the clearcoat on tomorrow, then will leave it a week to harden off before polishing.

117.jpg

121.jpg

125.jpg

So that's how she looks at the moment!

Cheers

Keef

Thanks all,

Great masking job there Keef! That's going to look soooo coooll when finished.

Rich

Rich - I hope so! Sprayed the clearcoat today, but it was pouring with rain at the time, so I got some inevitable 'blooming' which I hope will polish out! I was also being lazy so sprayed it out of the rattle can rather than decant & airbrush it. I'm absoluitely cr*p at using spray cans so as usual, despite trying with all my willpower to only use light coats, ended up flooding the stuff on with the also inevitable orange peel!! Will leave it a week to dry properly now & hopefully it'll be alright on the night!!

Keef

Thanks both!

Looking good, and you are not the only one to have fun and games with clearcoats! What are you using? I note you get your paints from Zero, so would the clearcoat be Mr Hobby? Looking forward to seeing this on done.

It is indeed Mr Hobby - at least I think it is! It's labelled as Mr Super Clear, so I assume that's the same? There's so much Mr stuff coming out of Japan it's difficult to know what's what! Had a look at it again a little earlier, & after sitting on top of the central heating boiler for a couple of hours at least the bloom has cleared (sorry!) off it. Unfortunately the orange peel is still there!!

What problems are you having Nick, as I thought the paint job you have on Red Baron looks absolutely superb?!

Keef

• 4 weeks later...

OK, after Ian's hurry up, just a few pics to show that I have made some progress, even if not much!!

Finally got the clearcoat polished out OK'ish. But this is certainly not one of my best paint jobs. I applied the clear the same way as I always do, but for some reason it just wouldn't polish out as well as it usually does. But the finish is probably more 'authentic' for a 70's rally car anyway (that's my excuse etc.etc.!!)

So, here she is sitting on her wheels - well, 3 of them anyway, as something's gone skewiff in the chassis & the front right is about a mil of the ground. Can't see anything out of square, so I don't know why! But I won't worry about it as like all my models she'll be stuck to a base & that'll pull it square (I hope!!)

595.jpg

596.jpg

597.jpg

I still need to clean up some polishing compound residue off her. Then its decals, detail bits & final bits of paintwork & she'll be done. No worries for the deadline then (famous last words!!)

I was hoping to have her ready for Telford, but that's not going to happen now as I have too much other stuff to get done.

Keef

Looking good keef, decaling is my favourite part of the rally car build, feels like everything is coming together, looking forward to seeing the results. Have a good un at Telford, Must make the effort to go next year

Regards Ian D

Guest snipersmudge

wow! some super paint work there keef, and some fancy masking skills to boot! most impressive. it's gonna look a stunner with the decals on :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, with just a few hours before I would be declared OTL, I guess I'll call this one finished & roll her out into Parc Ferme! Not my greatest ever build, especially because as usual I've rushed the final finishing of it (I hoped to have it done by yesterday, but best laid plans went wrong again, so I've had to do all the final touches in a blind panic this afternoon!) I still don't know why she isn't sitting square on all four wheels, so I do need to make a base to stick her to in order to sort that out! The paint job isn't 100% authentic for the original car either, so at the moment she represents the restored car that I photographed at Goodwood a couple of years back. The actual 1978 car was according to Hasegawa painted in gloss white & red with satin black lower body. I know that quite a few Italian rally cars of that time were finished in satin/matt paint, & a pic on the box top of this kit definitely shows the black as being matt (rather than satin). I had in fact masked out the rest of the shell after putting the decals on the black areas in order to spray them matt, but changed my mind as I thought it would look odd half shiny & half matt! I haven't found any good enough pics of the 1978 car that show one way or the other, so she's staying as she is for now!

Anyway, one pic here & the rest are in Parc Ferme!

152.jpg

Cheers

Keef