Rallychef's Build

Rallychef

Thanks for that Keith, we are looking at a spot in the village of Greystoke, (of the Legend of Tarzan fame)a few miles from here, on the edge of the Lake District, but I need to sort our own house first. It will however mean a custom built workshop in the garden (posh shed), Thate where the plate will find it's home

regards Ian D

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a fairly fraught few weeks things are starting to settle down at home (not counting the proposed house move), so I decided to get some progress on the Alpine. Still struggling with the seat harness material, so I am going with Keef's idea of the lead foil, it is on order so the interior of the car has stalled a little untill that arrives.

I theirfore decided to try and make some progress on the body work. The bodyshell was masked and all the chrome trim, window surrounds etc where painted. the light appatures were also painted black, lights fitted, (I have left the spots off untll nearer the end) A start has also been made on the decals, made by cartograf, excellent quality, but some aquward curves mean they had to be battered into place with loads of micro sol.

progress so far

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

very happy with the results so far, but I will have to ask Santa for one of those nice Tamita painting stands seeing as it looks like I am going to stick at this model building lark !

Not much chance of any progress today, as we are downsizing, I am sorting furniture and some other bits and pieces to go to auction as they cannot go with us when we eventually move ........(Ian's new workshop fund)

Regards for now

Ian D

Glad to see you back at it Ian, hope Pauline is feeling better.

The Alpine's coming along nicely, are you going to clear over the decals? That's something I can never decide on until the very last minute! Strongly recommend the Tamiya paintstand, great things!

Keef

I know nothing about car/rally models, but this looks just great. Fantastic paint and decalling job there. Good luck with the pending move too.

more progress today, got the bodyshell finished, and the seatbelt straps painted, I will attempt to assemble the harness in the morning,

pics of the finished bodyshell, a little fit issue with the rear engine cover but some small adjustments will bring it back in line

IMG_0067a.jpg

IMG_0076-2.jpg

IMG_0069-1.jpg

The only problem with the bodyshell is the same as the Stratos, it is going to need a good bit of flexing to fit it over the floorpan. I should have looked at that before I got to this stage.

more tomorrow, nearly finished

regards Ian D

Looks great Ian! Good luck with fitting the bodyshell on! You may need to touch up the belts after fitting the buckles, I always find the paint tends to flake off a little when flexing the foil into the buckles.

Keef

many thanks for all your kind comments, I think after 18 months return to the hobby, and some great advice from the forum, things are starting to come together. This has certainly been my favourite build to date.

Here we go with my first attempt at photo etch seatbelt (thanks to Keef for the advice). Still waiting for my lead foil to arrive, so I used a tomato puree tube instead, foil was washed and cut into strips before priming and painting. A reference of the harness arrangement was found on t’internet, and despite my sausage finger syndrome, something close to my reference pic was cobbled together.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058-1.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Overall I’m pleased with the result, especially as it was my first attempt, the only criticism I have is I think I should have used a red with a more matt finish, it is a little too shiny for my liking, but it will have to do for now

We may got it finished in the next day or two, only my third completed build for the year, hopefully things will improve in the near future

Regards Ian D

Nice belts Ian! :speak_cool: I was going to say the only thing was I thought they looked a bit shiny - have you got any matt varnish you could give them a quick brush over with? But then again, they'll probably look great when in the car!

Keef

Hey Ian,

That is definetly looking good cant wait to see it finished

Best wishes

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got finished, getting the bodyshell over the floorpan turned out to be a real pain, it had to be flexed so much I was afraid it was going to crack the paint or decals, a couple of pics, I will post it in the gallery when I get some better photo's taken in the morning

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Regards Ian D