Sdkfz 7/1 in Normandy

Nev

I've got a diorama I'm thinking of starting involving a knocked out Sdkfz 7/1 Flakvierling knocked out in Normandy, of the 1st or 2nd SS Panzer, using the classic Tamiya kit. The instructions state that it should be Panzer Grey overall, but surely by 1944 it would be yellow/brown/green?

If anyone has any pics of these in France I would be grateful.

Nev

Having looked throught my ref, you are right they would be painted the standard yellow base with a mixture of reds and greens (usually field applied) over. However the Tamiya offering is the early version (as is the Trumpeter kit) and as such would be finished in panzer grey overall.

Now having never served in Normandy ;) I could not say if the early version would be in operation, and the more up armoured cab version would have been. - but who knows - sorry :doh:

To be on the safe side I would opt for the up armoured cab version from either Tamiya or the new Dragon kit

panzer109.jpg

The tactical insignia painted on the left had side at the rear of the vehicle identifies it as belonging to the anti-aircraft section of the 9th Company of 2nd SS Panzer Division and was camtured intact by the Americans during their advance.

panzer84.jpg

1st SS Panzer Regiment was refitting in Belgium when the Allied landings took place. The photo shows a SdKfz 7/1 tractor mounting a quadruple barrel anti-aircraft gun. On the back of the trailer can be seen the regimental tactical sign on the left and on the right, the divisional emblem.

t_197075.jpg

The icture above does show a multi colour scheme and was used by Dragon as its initial release of pictures before they issued the box art. As you can see it shows a scheme which would have been initiated in Russia during the summer of 43 and could be yellow over grey

HTH

Paul

Edited by Paul Brickles