1/48 Spitfires - family portrait

Here they all are - all 22; two I made a year or two ago, the rest I've built since about December 2008.

Set out in mark number order.

1Spitfiresallfromside.jpg

2Spitfiresallfromabove.jpg

Here are the Merlin ones.

3SpitfiresMerlinsonly.jpg

and the Griffon ones

4SpitfiresGriffons2only.jpg

The aftermath - spares - thousands of them propellers, rudders, gun covers, complete fuselages and wing (that don't match)

5SpitfireSpares.jpg

and decals - lots of decals - when I resurrect this project in a few years time I'll be sorted.

6Spitfiredecals.jpg

There can be few types that can be modelled in so many different marks and colour schemes and indeed generate so much controversy in the modelling world. It has been a thoroughly enjoyable project and I have learnt a huge amount about Britain's most famous aeroplane. I've got a couple of Revell 1/32 scale Spitfires to do and I want to add a 1/24 scale one eventually as well. I might add an FR.XVIII and Seafire XVII and a PR.XI etc etc. What have I started......

A family, collection you say, No way in bloody 'ell mate, that's a bleedin Squadron...and a damned fine looking one at that!!!, ya wanna loan me 5-6 for a few yarn..

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

how about building this little bunny to show where it all began

I like that one very much.

Can't wait to see some lesser known types, PR.IX etc.. How about a Va? or a nightfighter Vb?

You are very very naughty but I might tempted, I mean I have decals to use after all......

You must be able to knock up a 'What if' from those spares Derek, some sort of fictional mark of Spitfire. There were a few odd ones about' I think the first one to try a contra prop was a MkIX.

Ive just seen this and thats an amasing collection. I personaly am at 17 complete, one in for repairs, one awaiting me to order a propellor for it and the Spitfire Vb on floats that has stalled due to fit issues with the resin. (there are two Seafires in the finished ones so is it 17 or 15?). I have a Airfix Seafire IIIC in the stash and 6 Tamiya Spitfire Vbs to turn into PR Spitfires when i can get my hands on some of the Airwaves conversion sets.

As for decal sheets i have accumulated a fair collection of them awaiting the day i get around to building a model to go with them.

Wow,that is some collection.I love building Spits.That is something to aspire to. :goodjob: on all of them.