Trumpeter 1/48 RA-5C Vigilante

Hi Al,

I never doubted for a second that it would turn out so well. Have you changed your lighting setup though? How did you manage to capture the (deserved) praise so accurately, in that it reproduces both the admiration and awe?

Who needs a camera ? - all my builds are going to be recorded this way from now on...

EDIT: I'm still laughing; Al, this is perfect for my corner of the office - do you mind if I print it out?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, for real this time - the finished article!

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 007

I think this is the best angle to view the Vigi - it really was a beautiful plane.

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 008

So, it turned out pretty well in the end! A big and very impressive addition to any collection, and one of a very rare breed.

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 034

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 009

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 037

tn_Eli Birthday & Planes Oct 07 038

Cheers, :thumbsup:

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 7

Think I preferred the cartoon! :D

:rofl:

quite a tricky kit

Despite what people might say it was actually quite an easy kit to build. And they got one thing right which many manufacturers don't seem to be bothered with - the exterior panels which you want to display closed fit perfectly in either position.

Go on, folks, dust this one off - the world needs more Vigilantes!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Pics restored - a reference build of sorts for a much requested but sadly neglected kit.

Thanks Alan, it’s a very interesting build! 👍 I bought this kit last summer and started to build it last autumn for my friend; after seeing your thread here I think I need to create my own WIP thread - even if I don’t like this kit. The reason why I don’t create the thread yes is a very slow progress (I often torn between the music and modelling).

Update: just create the thread...

You’re welcome:

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just caught up with this: lovely build Al.

Bought one years ago with some Eduard pre-painted etch for the pit, but the Nautilus bracing looks essential. Will go that route now. 

Caracal have been threatening to make decals for the kit for a long time and that may be part of my inertia.

Tony 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2012 at 7:04 AM, Alan P said:

Has anyone else actually built one of these? I'm curious!

Gidday Alan, I did an original Vigilante (without the hump) OOB in 1/72 scale probably just over 40years ago for a young cousin. I don't think I have a photo and I don't know what brand the kit was. I didn't know much about the history of the aircraft other than it was designed as a carrier-based mach2 nuclear bomber, plus that it was the largest aircraft to operate from a carrier (all of which I got from the instruction sheet). I thought it was a nice looking aircraft.

On 10/24/2007 at 7:17 PM, Alan P said:

Go on, folks, dust this one off - the world needs more Vigilantes!

I don't suppose a scratch built RA-5 in 1/250 scale would count?

Aircraft 1.250 jm1

No doubt you recognize them. The Vigilante was the first I did, one bored afternoon. Then later I did the others. They're made from balsa and thin plywood.

I've only just seen your thread, and sorry to hijack it a bit. 2007 was waaaaay before my time with Britmodeller. I think your model is extremely good, of a very nice looking aircraft.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2