Revell 1:144 Caravelle...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the confusion over the scale is because Hannant's newsletter listed it as 1/144.

I only suspect this as I went and had a look myself and then checked Revell's website to see if it was new and noticed the scale there.

And YES I can SEE it says 1/100 on the box - it didn't register as I was excited at the prospect of a new mould Caravelle!

Didn't FROG and Plasticart/Playfix also do the Caravelle in the larger 1.96/1.100 scale? Since Revell has issued some of the old FROG toolings (Vixen, Gannet, Skua, Shackleton etc) would this also be one of them?

Edited by BAC

• 4 weeks later...

I think your right. I have this kit in the attic, and mine is a Novo copy of the original Frog Caravelle...it measures out close to 1/96 scale (they also made a Comet 4 to the same scale - I converted mine into a Nimrod MR.2 back in 1982, then someone nicked it! :angry:).

Cheers

Derek

Didn't FROG and Plasticart/Playfix also do the Caravelle in the larger 1.96/1.100 scale? Since Revell has issued some of the old FROG toolings (Vixen, Gannet, Skua, Shackleton etc) would this also be one of them?

• 2 months later...

I'm not a airliner builder, however, the Caravelle is IMHO one of the most beautiful and elegant machines ever to take to the air and in 1:100 would be quite a sizeable model when built. I saw that this had come-out and guessed it was an older kit - the price kind-of gives it away. If anybody has built this in the past can they PM let me know if there's any particualr issues I need to be aware of.

ALSO

Does anybody know if there are any alternative decals available for this kit ???

Thanks

Ian

I'm not a airliner builder, however, the Caravelle is IMHO one of the most beautiful and elegant machines ever to take to the air and in 1:100 would be quite a sizeable model when built. I saw that this had come-out and guessed it was an older kit - the price kind-of gives it away. If anybody has built this in the past can they PM let me know if there's any particualr issues I need to be aware of.

ALSO

Does anybody know if there are any alternative decals available for this kit ???

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

I've not built the kit (haven't even bought it to be honest!), but there's been a fair bit of chat about it on the yahoo airlinermodel group recently. I also have to admit to not taking too much notice as I only build airliners in 144 & 200 scale. So I did a quick search, & the conclusion on there seems to be - ".. it actually had recessed panel lines and recessed rivets from it's inception. A pretty good kit actually for its time, still is, although the engines are not quite accurate and need some work." I didn't come across any build review other than someones memory of building it when it first came out (in 1961!!), who recalled he stuck the 'nose cone' on off centre, & this apparently is the trickiest bit of the kit!

I'm assuming (though may well be wrong as I often am!) that these decals are for the Revell kit (??) ;

http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/epages/twosi...Products/100-22

hth

keef

Great Keef, thanx for the help. Did a half-hour on airliners.net and found great pics of Swissair (and others) Caravelles. Beautiful shiny, almost chrome NMF. Think I'll defer on it for a while, just had an altercation with a Tamiya P-47, my Aztek and some Alclad 'polished aluminium'.... not in the mood for another NMF project just yet ! :wall:

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There will be another Caravelle kit reissued this year - the long forgotten Lindbergh 1/100th(I think?) kit with one transparent fuselage will be reissued by Glencoe later this year.

• 1 month later...

1/100 scale would be typical for VEB Plastikart and I think they actually had a Caravelle in their range. I believe Revell are in possession of many old VEB molds. This might be one of them.

http://www.arnes-modellbauseite.de/History.../Caravelle4.jpg

I haven't seen inside the Revell box to know if it is the old VEB kit, so I'm completely read yto be wrong about this.

Edited by upnorth

1/100 scale would be typical for VEB Plastikart and I think they actually had a Caravelle in their range. I believe Revell are in possession of many old VEB molds. This might be one of them.

http://www.arnes-modellbauseite.de/History.../Caravelle4.jpg

I haven't seen inside the Revell box to know if it is the old VEB kit, so I'm completely read yto be wrong about this.

Sorry, you are wrong as the Revell and VEB moulds are not the same. Both companies made their own moulds.

• 1 year later...
whats up with the mach-2 as Im thinking of getting one????

I have the Mach 2 Caravelle, the problem with the kit is that it is a Mach 2 kit meaning, It will need a lot of work and the glazed cockpit looks like an icecube, but saying all that if you are patient enough it can build into a nice kit, luckily I bought mine on ebay for £30 rather than the higher price through Hannats, I also have the Mach 2 Vickers Viscount (I must be mad)

whats up with the mach-2 as Im thinking of getting one????

Aside from the fact that either the windscreen sits too low and/or the cabin windows sit too high, it's fairly nice. The above makes it impossible to apply a cheatline to the fuselage the way a cheatline lays on a real Caravelle, since you end up needing to give the cheatline an S to make it fit both cabin and cockpit windows. On a real Caravelle it runs perfectly straight. Oops... I did SAS decals for it and didn't run into the cheatline problem because the old Viking long boat scheme's cheatline doesn't go all the way to the nose. When I started working on United decals for it is when I ran across the problem (and stopped dead in my tracks).

J

• 5 weeks later...
...anyone know if this is a new tool to Revell's latest standards, or a re-issue of some real oldie?

If it's new, I'd rather like one, for reasons of nostalgia...

bestest,

M.

Cockpit and forward fuselage of a DH Comet isn't it?