Yet ANOTHER '109

Kia Ora peeps

Attached are a couple of piccies of my latest almost-finished Bf109; this has been built just as an exercise in learning how to do mottling. Slowly getting the hang of it, but still a few things to nail down yet.

It's the old Revell 1/48 G10/K4 finished with a mix of Ventura and Microscal decals, painted with Model Master acrylics for the uppers and home brewed mix of enamels for the RLM76. The reason for the home brew mis was simply that my tin of Xtracolour had dried out. To the rescue came a bottle of MM "Anthracite Gray" and Humbrol "Beige-Green" - mix togther et voila - "RLM76"!

There are still a few minor details to be added like aerials and replacing a broken pitot and aerial. I also still have to add the armour plating behind the pilot.

The red u/c legs where purely a whimsy - I recalled somewhere how some 109s had red-painted u/c to denote that they ran on 100 octane (or something like that), so I thought that might look interesting. The overall intention of this was to practice mottling and have fun, rather than a hyper- accurate, fully researched build.

Haere ra

Mike A

109K-03.jpg

109K-02.jpg

109K-01.jpg

Kia Ora Mike

Kei te peha koe? Great looking '109. Nice work with the camo.

The red legs remind me of myself in summer!(Damn OZone!!!)

Thanks for sharing.

Richard :speak_cool:

Kei te pai ahau!

Chur bro', thanks for the compliments. Kinda pleased with how it came out, but still room for improvement!

Chur

Mike A

Ka pai waewae whero, ehoa!

An advantage of having a Kiwi missus wot speaks Maori! looks like your mottling is coming on very well. The revell G-10 as such always looks good to my eyes. I remember the 1978 Scale Models review where it was lauded for its accuracy, affordability and overall damn niceness. 31 years on its still doing OK to my eyes.

Plus the Croatian markings always make for a great looking 109. I guess as its training piece - you left out the head armour inside the 'pit?

I'd say - open the hood and put it in - I nkow its a working model/ preactice model - but it just looks a bit odd! - a bit like a Macs Gold without the top off :)

Cheers form a little bit of Aeteroa in England

Ka Kite Ano

Jonners

Ka pai waewae whero, ehoa!

An advantage of having a Kiwi missus wot speaks Maori! looks like your mottling is coming on very well. The revell G-10 as such always looks good to my eyes. I remember the 1978 Scale Models review where it was lauded for its accuracy, affordability and overall damn niceness. 31 years on its still doing OK to my eyes.

Plus the Croatian markings always make for a great looking 109. I guess as its training piece - you left out the head armour inside the 'pit?

I'd say - open the hood and put it in - I nkow its a working model/ preactice model - but it just looks a bit odd! - a bit like a Macs Gold without the top off :)

Cheers form a little bit of Aeteroa in England

Ka Kite Ano

Jonners

Tena koe, Jonners

Thanks for the compliments (reverting back to Unglish now), you're right about the armour plating - it's still in the box - there are still a few items that need to be fixed on it like missing aerials and pitots.

A Macs Gold would be a far better option, but seeing as it's winter I'll wait till summer!

Cheers

Mike

Very nice finish indeed. It looks 'right', which is the main thing in a model, I think.

And I remember that kit very well and the stir it caused when it was launched - the first accurate late version Bf 109, patterned after a full size G-10 in California, IIRC. I still have at least three unbuilt ones in the attic insulation, along with the relevant Cooper Details cockpit sets.

Nice build!

Best,

Joachim

• 3 years later...

Mike,

Stunning looking model, great build. I love the mottling and came across your build, searching for 109's as I have a 1-32 to build soon, but have never attempted a German WW2 aircraft before. To be honest the mottling has put me off, well I guess I am just a chicken! Would be really grateful if you have any tips for me? Also as I don't have an airbrush could I realistically achieve a similar finish?

Awaiting to mottle with anticipation.

Tommy