1/48 Spitfires again

My last two Spitfires for now. They are actually my 21st and 22nd Spitfire builds and coincidentally are an F.21 and F.22

Firstly the F.21. Uses the Aeroclub fuselage and the Airfix Seafire F.46 wings. Not a very easy build and needed a lot of fettling. I'm still not happy with the canopy. It is finished in the markings of 602 (City of Glasgow) Sqn aircraft LA198, the Spitfire F.21 currently in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow. The decals are a combination of an Aeromaster set for the roundels and codes and serials I printed myself.

F21_1.jpg

F21_2.jpg

F21_3.jpg

Lastly the Airfix F.22 finished in the markings of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron aircraft PK504 using the Aeromaster sheet. It is painted using a Humbrol acrylic spray can. It looks a bit bright maybe? Decent kit but again not happy with the canopy.

F22_1.jpg

F22_2.jpg

F22_3.jpg

I'll put together a family portrait of all 22 at the weekend.

Thanks for looking.

They both look very nice!

Two points:

1. If you're not happy with the canopies, have you considered the Falcon Spitfire canopy set? They are vacformed but are crystal clear and, I believe, accurate.

2. How did you get on with the Aeroclub Mk21 fuselage? I have one to do, but the moulding looks soft in places with several panel lines incomplete and others overly 'long'?

Nice couple of Spitfires Derek, looking forward to seeing the group shot.

I noticed that on mine too Nick, I think I'll give it a gentle going over with a needle in a pin vise, just to crisp them up a bit.

Edited by Doug Rogers

They both look very nice!

Two points:

1. If you're not happy with the canopies, have you considered the Falcon Spitfire canopy set? They are vacformed but are crystal clear and, I believe, accurate.

2. How did you get on with the Aeroclub Mk21 fuselage? I have one to do, but the moulding looks soft in places with several panel lines incomplete and others overly 'long'?

Thanks folks.

My last foray with vacform canopies wasn't a great experience. The Aeroclub fuselage came with a vacform caopy which wasn't particularly clear so I used spares. The front and centre section were OK but the rear one isn't a great fit. The Airfix F.22 simply doesn't fit in the open position - I should have known better as I've already done the F.24 and FR.47.If it starts to annoy me I'll get a a Falcon set!

The Aeroclub fuselage was fine but some lines needed rescribing a bit. I was impressed with the fit of the metal cockpit parts in the fuselage as well. The Airfix wing was a decent fit at the root but the cockpit parts seem to extend too far down so needed a bit of trimming to allow the wing to sit correctly vertically.

Nice builds there! :speak_cool: I'm a sucker for late model Spits – the Griffon engine made them look more proportionate, IMVHO.

A minor point and easily corrected, if you feel so inclined – the cockpit access door really shouldn't hang straight down but (I'm guesstimating here) hang at something like a 20 degree angle out from the fuselage. Look at any photo of a parked Spit and you'll see what I'm referring to.

Best,

Joachim