Early Canberras, black & MSG scheme

bexwh773

Ow do Gang,

Right then, time for me to make a complete plank of myself. So far I have only painted green & grey or Hemp Canberras, however I now find myself in the position of painting a grey and black one. I use either Hubrol or Revell enamels + Hairy Stick, anyone got a rough idea which black I need please :pray: As Ive never painted a Canberra in this scheme before.

TIA

Bexy von :blush:

Edited by bexwh773

Halfords primer grey, Halfords Gloss Black. Xtracrylix Med Sea Grey.

Prior to Halfords changing the formula, you could have used the primer as the upper colour as it was very close to MSG. It's closer to Ocean Grey now but not quite blue enough.

Halfords primer grey, Halfords Gloss Black. Xtracrylix Med Sea Grey.

Prior to Halfords changing the formula, you could have used the primer as the upper colour as it was very close to MSG. It's closer to Ocean Grey now but not quite blue enough.

Thanks Lee, thats a great start, not very good with rattle cans, but may just have learn with this one :thumbsup2:

Bexy

I'd go with Halfords black primer, goes on really well, easy to use if you follow the instuctions to the letter, I was a rattlecanaphobic until I gave it a go, honestly girl, if you give it a try I'm sure you'll be happy with it, just practice a bit on anything to hand!! The problem for me at least with brush painting 'black' is I never get a good finish especially with Hu33 'Matt Black' The top side colour you're looking for in the Humbrol range is Hu165 Medium Sea Grey which again (for me at least) goes on really well with a brush, loads of stirring in that little tinlet is essential, the best advice given to me was stir and stir until you can't stand it no longer then do it for that long again, This maybe a bit controversial but I warm up a fresh tinlet on a radiator or somesuch thing then leave the lid off for twenty minutes, this works for me, it just seems to go on a lot better after this treatment. usually covering in two coats, The above suggestion of acrylic paint, now this is just my opinion, but these aren't for the brush painters, no doubt others will recomend acrylics and contradict what I've put here and they may well be correct, like I said, this is just my opinion and what works for me. Looking forward to seeing your progress

. . . Kes

Thanks Kes,

I got 165 no probs, its the black Im having problems with :doh: But looks like I got the right advice from you and Lee :yahoo:

Bexy

I got 165 no probs, its the black Im having problems with

Bexy

If you absolutley insist on brush painting I'd try Revel 'Black', seems to go on a bit better than Humbrol Hu33, then again, thinking about it, Hu85 Satin Black has a semi gloss finish,which might be what you're looking for? It'll make decal application more effective too, unless you're a Johnsons futur/Kleer user?!?! Sorry, I think Imight be confusing the issue somewhat!?!?!

. . . Kes

Bex, why not use Humbrol's gloss black??

I use gloss colours wherever possible to ease decal application and if there's one colour Humbrol got right it's there gloss black! Covers beautifully. (something like your good self) :evil_laugh::frantic:

------------------- :coat:

Edited by plastic

Hey wooksta! Don't know about the Xtracrylics but there enamels ain't wot they used to be mate!

I got two tins of that 'night' to paint my 1/48 Wellington 1 from Trumpy.

Had to throw both tins in the bucket, they were strangely thin, oily hardly any pigment and on the test card, they were still not dry after a week!

Utter rubbish and, as I said, in the bucket!

Mixed some Humbrol DSG into there gloss black---wonderful!

That's why I mentioned it.

The problem with Xtracolor enamels is on-going, I have tins of RLM 72 and 73 which are exactly the same.

Xtracolour enamles always were a pain to brushpaint but the Xtracrylix are superb. Okay, you'll need a second coat but by the time you've finished the model with the colour of your choice, the area you painted first will be dry and on with the second coat. I did tend to spray the initial colour of an RAF scheme, mask it and spray the lower then brush paint the third. Worked well for me.

Xtracolour enamels always did have somewhat of a reputation...

Hi All

I agree, Xtracrylix are superb, I'm now using them more and more, they go on with a brush really well, with out leaving brush marks, the gloss finish is good enough to add the transfers with out extra varnish, but it's not too shiny. They do dry quickly, and I was a bit worried when I painted my First 1/48th Canberra with them as I thought it would dry too fast, but not so, I found that if I put a well loaded brush full on then worked quickly all went well.

370298134.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid

I used Tamiya semi gloss black (X18) on mine till I ran out! Then it was Vallejo model air semi gloss on top which went over the Tamiya better than I expected. For hairy stick use I pearsonaaly prefer Tamiya as I find it more forgiving. Unfortunately I've found Humbrol acrylics to be naff (do you use enamels Bex?).

Tony :clif:

Edit just read you're post again, what about Humbrol 85? I can't get on with Revell enamels at all but I've found their acrylic range to be very good, even the metallics.

:clif:

Edited by avro683

Bexy, bit out of my depth here as I haven't used a paintbrush to finish a model for about twenty years, the thought terrifys me :shutup: !! but for what it's worth I would go with Kes's suggestion of using Halfords matt black primer then spraying a rattlecan gloss, ( semi gloss for realism) like Halfords own clear or at a push Humbrols acrylic clears, you'll get a good finish provided you rattle the cans well and spray in warm conditions.

Lee's right the Xtracrylix work well but will need two coats as they are a little on the thin side but do provide a top finish I personally use Xtracrylix and Tamiya/Gunze blacks or better still Alclads gloss black primer :heart: for a perfect finish, but of course these are for airbrush.....

General

Hi All

If it's Halfords you're after, try Audi Brilliant Black, and Ford Polar Gray, both very good for B.2 camouflage. Polar gray isn't an exact match for MSG. But it's near enough for Government work. The RB.57A was done with Audi Brilliant Black, I find the best results are achieved if sprayed outside in direct Sun light, this drys the paint very quickly and produces a very high gloss finish, the hard part is finding a Sunny day!

370370049.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid

I would go with xtracolor RAF Night black, its enamal but its one of the best blacks I have ever used.

Got to say though John that audi black looks the dogs danglies!

Julien