RE8

dylan the rabbit

Well, seeing as we're all doing it, here's a gratuitous box shot.

_D9O8056_1.jpg

The kit looks nice on the sprue. The plastic's sturdy and nicely detailed, and should be easy to work with. Not much of it though, as most of the parts are lovely white metal. Looking forward to this as it's my first time with this medium.

_D9O8060_1.jpg_D9O8061_1.jpg

_D9O8064.jpg

The kit decals look pretty good, and the instructions are ok (not Tamigawa or even Airfix, but should be ok), and there are a bunch of options of squadrons to finish it off as.

Yup. Looking forward to getting on with this one (after I finish the Pup and the Raiden though).

Tata,

Nick

ooooooooh, that looks expensive!

Nice looking kit though.

Wayne

ooooooooh, that looks expensive!

Nice looking kit though.

Wayne

£23.75 to be precise (there's a sticker on the box lid)... I like Aeroclub kits. I've done their Gnat in 1:48, and it was great fun for a short run mixed media kit :)

£23.75 to be precise (there's a sticker on the box lid)... I like Aeroclub kits. I've done their Gnat in 1:48, and it was great fun for a short run mixed media kit :)

oh yeh :doh: but it looks like £28.75 to me

The RE8 was the one Airfix kit that totally defeated me as a kid, and I've been too scared to try one again since! I'll look forward to seeing how you get on with this, I agree John's kits are excellent.

John

The RE8 was the one Airfix kit that totally defeated me as a kid, and I've been too scared to try one again since! I'll look forward to seeing how you get on with this, I agree John's kits are excellent.

John

Got one of those in the stash, but I think 1/48th is as small as I'll go with these ones!

Just had a bit of a poke around with the kit this evening, and bloody hell, this is going to be a hard build!

The fuselage is fine, and the plastic all looks ok. The white metal's going to need a fair old bit of cleaning up, and the kit's instructions are for, how shall I say, the more advanced modeller. Not a muppet like me.

Oh, and as I bought the kit 2nd hand, there are 2 fairly important bits missing. The engine mounting and the bit that holds the prop in. I'll see if I can get a replacement from Aeroclub (on a limited run kit - must be joking, but no harm in trying), or it's a bit of building myself..

If I get wee weed off with this one, 1/72nd DR1 here I come!

have seen this kit build and l can tell you it maybe a bit of work but what does anymore but it will be well worth it. Turns into a fanastic model when done

Hacker :)B)

Just had a bit of a poke around with the kit this evening, and bloody hell, this is going to be a hard build!

The fuselage is fine, and the plastic all looks ok. The white metal's going to need a fair old bit of cleaning up, and the kit's instructions are for, how shall I say, the more advanced modeller. Not a muppet like me.

Oh, and as I bought the kit 2nd hand, there are 2 fairly important bits missing. The engine mounting and the bit that holds the prop in. I'll see if I can get a replacement from Aeroclub (on a limited run kit - must be joking, but no harm in trying), or it's a bit of building myself..

If I get wee weed off with this one, 1/72nd DR1 here I come!

Really cannot see that either of those items will be a problem so stop whinging!! You should see the Gotha - now there is self inflicted punishment

PS are you really a photographer ---- :rofl::rolleyes:

Really cannot see that either of those items will be a problem so stop whinging!! You should see the Gotha - now there is self inflicted punishment

PS are you really a photographer ---- :rofl::rolleyes:

Of course. Can't you tell from the whinging? You make it sound like a bad thing..

Anyway, here's a shameless plug again... www.nickengland.net

Why do you ask?

Edited by dylan the rabbit

Of course. Can't you tell from the whinging? You make it sound like a bad thing..

Anyway, here's a shameless plug again... www.nickengland.net

Why do you ask?

I was being rude - implying your photography was rubbish!!! (Which in reallity it is not)

I have seen an RE8 somewhere - if I remember I will let you know!

David

PS Do tuck your T shirt in - theres a good boy!

• 3 weeks later...
Pete, you star! These are brilliant. Thank you.

I'm up against some stiff competition on the GB, and the slacker that I am, I haven't even started on the kit yet. This is more than enough to get started with though.

:goodjob:

Nick

Happy to help, if there is anything else let me know, just waiting for the SE5A to arrive now.

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome!

I took the pictures last year thinking they would be useful when I get around to doing the Airfix one. I've seen many times on various forums that this is a problem kit and many have started and not completed it.

Is it that bad? Come to think of it I don't remember seeing a completed one anywhere.

Hmmmm, I might have a go at this aircraft myself sooner than later.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, work started today on the RE8.

I've compiled a lot of info on the actual aircraft, and armed with this, I decided to start on the engine first, which as it's so exposed is practically going to have to be a model itself.

I pretty much have to scratch build the engine using the engine block halves as the base, and after a little clean-up, I epoxied those together and will glue the front of the engine on later. I'll then add some piping and bits and bobs (as much as I can be arsed) on to make it a little more realistic.

The rest of the build so far is cleaning up the parts and figuring out how to scratchbuild the interior. I'm also figuring out where to pre-drill the rigging holes.

I started a Tamiya 1/72nd Spitfire this afternoon as well (only opened the bag up today) and as an RE8/AMS cure, this will be ready for the paintshop tonight!

Pics to follow later on.

Cheers,

Nick