'Navalised' Meteor

Slightly off topic, but in the latest issue of Air-Britain's Aeromilitaria magazine, they are doing a running article (over a few issues) of all the early Meteors which covers every one of their histories. On one page there's a photo of Meteor Mk.III EE348 which has another connection to the Sea Hornet, it has an ASH radar dome just like the Sea Hornet nightfighter although in this case it would have been for a single seater AWF I think. The graceful sloping nose of the Meteor has been change with the top line of the nose extending straight out horizontally from just before the windshield and the new panels working around to just above the top gun fairings. The old nose tip just in front of the wheel bay was changed from a round shape to an oblong shape with the bottom of the oblong where the bottom of the round shape was, but the top of the oblong joins the new top nose profile. The ASH radome is attached at the top of this oblong bulkhead and then there a clear fairing which covers the whole ASH radome with the rear edges matching the oblong shape. I think something like this would make a neat 'what-if' Sea Meteor to do in the future.

AWFMeteor.jpg

Full credit to Air-Britain for this photo of a photo

Edited by kitnut617

Hiya kitnut. Thanks for the info and it's a shame, but could you even just take a couple of pics please. Bill said he remembered it being of a Hornet, so that is really useful.

Looks like the plan is a goer, so the engines will go in today and I'll button the nacelles up. Next stage paint.

rich

Here you are.

SeaMeteor001.jpg

SeaMeteor002.jpg

Full credit to Tony Buttler for the photos

Edited by kitnut617

Right, thanks to all the input from Bill, gengriz and Kitnut617 the Meteor is moving forward.

The hook will be based on the Sea Hornet one with a custom mount.

My problem now is where do I get appropriate roundels from? The pics from Bill show ones that are about 18mm in diameter in 1/48th, but I guess that there will be a standard size!

Can I also get a selection of 'Royal Navy' lettering in various sizes, or am I making my own, and if so what font is used? Again I'm guessing that this lettering has a spec somewhere, and the FAA is not normally my area of interest so I'm flying blind here.

Any pointers to specs, decals, etc...... will be very much appreciated.

Here are the engines that were secured into the a/c last night. The cowlings are now on, just a little fettling required :deadhorse: .

motors.jpg

The wiring is fictitious, as the Tamiya engines appear to bear little resemblance to the real things, and as can be seen in the next shot you won't see much anyway. I just couldn't leave it blank, as if you look down a Meteor intake it looks a right mess!

intake.jpg

Again thanks for the help so far guys, and this is what I love about BM :partytime: . Just need a bit more help now to get onto the home straight.

rich :frantic:

I take it then that you're doing the EDSG/Sky one Rich as it had Royal Navy titles? I have a link somewhere to the Font used - I can't load it on my Apple - so may try from my laptop later.

Roundel sizes are 36" in all six positions in the Post War colours of Post Office Red/White and Roundel Blue. Serials and codes and national markings can be found on any of the generic Xtradecal or Modeldecal sheets. If you're doing the HSS scheme then you can use the kits roundels, in Dull WW2 colours with yellow surrounds to the fuselage roundel. The upper wing roundel would have been in (Dull) Blue/White and (Dull) Red. In this scheme you don't need the Royal Navy titles - but if you want a silver Meatbox - I'd think that there are plenty other examples rather than denying yourself the opportunity of building the uniquely painited EDSG/Sky F3!?

Thanks Bill.

I am 99% certain I'm going to do the EDSG/Sky one, so I'll need to get appropriate RN stuff. I'm trawling Hannants at the moment trying to find generic sheets, I guess a little artistic licence may creep in. I'm also leaving the gun ports open, as there are so few photographs, they may have flown with them uncovered at some point :shrug: .

Is it being an Apple that is the problem, since i'm a Mac user as well?

rich

Rich, try looking for some Sea Venom, late model Seafires, Attacker decals. Those should do the trick and as it is a sort of 'what-if', belly and drop tanks wouldn't look amiss

Edited by kitnut617

Thanks mate, I'm getting there.

I can get the roundels from Xtradecal, 12" and 4" lettering, but am struggling with the tail codes which are either 20"or 24". I'm also not too sure of the underwing ones, as using the stuff Bill posted they appear to be 16", but that of course is very subjective since the pics are just drawings.

rich