Sprue shots of the 1/72 Airfix Hawks ?

Laurent

The "McClaren" scheme, the two shades of silver are Gunze acrylic lacquers, the black decals will go on first and here she's awash in Micro sol just to help the decals bed down over some of the curves.

Next stage will be some some touch-ups in the areas where decals just cannot physically go (compound curves like intake, leading edges) and then the model will get a coat of Kleer ready for the stencils, roundels and other markings.

Complex scheme like this can't be rushed, but coming along.

DSCF3160.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am not a great hawk fan but might get one anway to support hornby, then they might do that new tool Bucc I so want!

Julien

..ditto..got one of each. Fantastic package for the money (... shame about 109 though)

DSCF3160.jpg

Jonathan, this is no way a criticism of your work, but I just think that the 'panel' lines are so prominent that it looks more like a diecast than a kit (which also implies that the quality of your paintwork is top-notch!).

I am not an Airfix knocker and am a huge Hornby fan. What they've done for railways, scalextric, etc is fantastic. I just wish that they could get somewhere closer to the Spitfire, Seafire and Lightnings they did in the 90s. The cost of producing the tools for those kits is maybe 'what did' for Airfix back when, but I would have hoped that Hornby would recognise how good they were and the power of the brand to invest in. As I say, I do my best to support Hornby with both scales of TSR2, 2 each of 1/48 MkI and MkIX Spits in the stash, but they just look 'bland'.

No offence intended . . .

Edit to remove wrong spelling (that occurs in the post after next also!!!)

Edited by Nick Belbin

Hi All,

Just to clarify, ZJ951 is not in a McLaren scheme.

The McLaren scheme was only worn by Hawk 200 Demonstrator ZJ201, which was lost during an airshow at Milan Rastislav Stefanik in Bratislava in 1999 killing test pilot Graham Wardell and a woman spectator on the ground.

The scheme worn by ZJ951 was a bespoke design (although admittedly using similar colours) for a 'Next Generation Hawk' marketing campaign run by BAE Systems a couple of years back.

Cheers,

Rob M.

• 3 months later...

Several people have mentioned replacing the seats. Any suggestions for what with? I tried googling 1/72 MB10LH without any obvious success, and I'm afraid most ejector seats look pretty similar to me.

(I've bought the RA boxing and am looking forward to it!)

Cheers