T800 Endo skull

Oily

Well i had a bit of 'me' time which is a luxury after working a 60 hour week so i decided to tackle the T800 skull i bought off fleabay a few weeks ago.

I must admit i was a little apprehensive about the kit as i'd never done a vinyl kit before and had heard stories of kits being 'warped' and 'out of shape' but i found this to be a challenge so i proceeded to trim all the parts,getting rid of the flashing etc.

This is how they looked after i'd trimmed them down

05072009081.jpg

Next step was to fit the upper jaw and eye socket piece.This was a little mishapen but i broke out the heat gun to re-shape and get a better fit

12072009086.jpg

Then came these parts,don't know what they're called but the needed a little more heat treatment to get these to fit

12072009087.jpg

12072009089.jpg

Next job was to fit the lower jaw mounting,now this was seriously mishapen so i glued it at one end and worked my way round it with the heat gun and glueing it in position once i got the desired fit

12072009094.jpg

Next up was the lower jaw,this needed a stiffener piece fitted,again mishapen so i get medieval on it's bottom,with,yep you guessed it,the heat gun!

Here's the jaw fitted.

12072009091.jpg

The crown of the skull needs some re-shaping as it's a bit 'flat'!

12072009090.jpg

Here's one with the LED's fitted into the eyes,this was just a test fit and these need to be wired in etc.

12072009096.jpg

I must have wired up the LED's wrong as one went 'pop' !! Must be the diagram that's wrong ;) Bought 2 more from Maplins,some high intensity ones,they're clear so should blend in well when not on.

My idea is to put a PIR sensor in the base somewhere so it lights the eyes when someone walks by.

I've bought some Alclad 2 Stainless Steel high sheen and the Alclad gloss black base,just need an airbrush now

Edited by Oily

Thanks.I blew the red LED's :oops: so i bought some high intensity ones from Maplins,these are clear but light up red.

18072009108.jpg

18072009109.jpg

Is it my imagination, or does he seem to be smiling? :unsure:

Do the LEDs create much heat? Vinyl's quite susceptible to heat & will deform over time. The recommended thang is to fill the interior with plaster or pack it with newspaper. That's what's stopping me finishing off my first vinyl kit, as I keep forgetting to grab some dental plaster. :doh:

You know what Mike, I think he is.....

That has to be the happiest Terminator I've ever seen :analintruder:

Must really enjoy his job.

~"Sarah Connor......?" :angry:

~"....yes....." :unsure:

~"Here's a bunch of flowers!...Have a nice day now......" :heart:

Look forward to seeing the skull with Alclad on it. Should look Brill

Edited by geedubelyer

I think it's just wind

Do the LEDs create much heat? Vinyl's quite susceptible to heat & will deform over time. The recommended thang is to fill the interior with plaster or pack it with newspaper. That's what's stopping me finishing off my first vinyl kit, as I keep forgetting to grab some dental plaster. :doh:

I don't think so,any how they won't be on for any length of time.I know about the heat issue so i may fill it with either plaster/newspaper or those packing chips.

Did a bit more tonight,the lead bits needed a bit of filing down(is lead still legal?)and drilling out for the copper rod

19072009110.jpg

19072009111.jpg

How cool is that? nice progress so far.

JB.

man thats sooo cool i have to get one :clap:
How cool is that? nice progress so far.

JB.

Cheers guys,i got the kit off this guy from Thailand :

Linky

Don't get the cheaper one,it's just a one piece skull with no base.

He looks less jovial now you've adde some of the armatures. I suspect what your seller calls "lead" is actually some kind of white metal. There's usually a bit of lead in the mixture, so it's best to wash your hands after handling though, especially before eating :eat:

He looks less jovial now you've adde some of the armatures.

He does doesn't he :evil_laugh:

I suspect what your seller calls "lead" is actually some kind of white metal. There's usually a bit of lead in the mixture, so it's best to wash your hands after handling though, especially before eating :eat:

Aye,gave the hands a good 'ol scrub.

Just took delivery of my shiny new toy:

23072009117.jpg

It's a Premi Air G35.

I'm going to use my paintball 1.5 air bottle as a 'compressor' Just need to sort out some fittings as the airbrush etc are bsp :roll:

All being well i'll get a base coat on this weekend :D

Sprayed the base with the gloss black base,had a little reaction on the left hand side so i'll rub that down and start again

26072009126855x642.jpg

I read somewhere that vinyl isn't that fond of cellulose based paints, especially if they're sprayed on "wet". Was your gloss black a cellulose based paint? It may have got through a slightly thin layer of the plastic primer? :hmmm:

I read somewhere that vinyl isn't that fond of cellulose based paints, especially if they're sprayed on "wet". Was your gloss black a cellulose based paint? It may have got through a slightly thin layer of the plastic primer? :hmmm:

It's Alclad 2 gloss black base,not sure whether thats cellulose based?

It's Alclad 2 gloss black base,not sure whether thats cellulose based?

Yeah, I think it is... but it must have been hot to get through your plastic primer, which I'm guessing is acrylic based? Reckon it could have been a bit thin there? :hmmm:

Yeah, I think it is... but it must have been hot to get through your plastic primer, which I'm guessing is acrylic based? Reckon it could have been a bit thin there? :hmmm:

It could have been Mike.The primer i'm using is Plasticote which is acrylic(i think),i'm going to sand it down and give it another coating tonight.

Thanks for the info

Re-done the base,much better now.Attacked the skull tonight aswell,i sprayed the little nooks and crannies first:

27072009128.jpg

27072009127.jpg

Then filled in around the details

27072009129.jpg

It needs another coat but i'm getting there

This is looking seriously cool!! :speak_cool:

Never even knew there was such a thing as vinyl kits.... Learn something new every day!

Cheers,i never knew they existed until i did a bit of research David,the choice of kits makes it hard to choose!!

Sprayed the base this morning,the Alclad stainless steel paint looks great as i was a bit sceptical about it,the colour in the bottle doesn't do it justice

base642x855.jpg

Managed to do the skull this afternoon,must say i'm quite pleased with it so far.Now for the hard part,painting the teeth so they look natural!

01082009143.jpg

01082009142.jpg

01082009141.jpg

Looks good fella :) If you've got some confidence in your airbrush skills, you could do some toning by mixing up some shades of the alclad to give some extra depth to some of the nooks. A coat of black or dark grey wash should bring out the "panel lines", and then those dreaded teeth! Mix up some colors like your own teeth & look in a little mirror ro get the shades & color right. You have reference material at hand ;)