At last

Ken

One of the Model Alliance Recce Spitfire sheets has the same Swedish option as the Airfix kit.

It's difficult to judge the colours from the scan in the review on www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1201-1300/Rev1202_ModelAllianceDecals_MA72133/rev1202.htm. The crowns should be outlined in black – they may be or may not, impossible to see.

But, no walkways and apparently no stencilling at all. The Maestro Decals sheet from www.rebell.com looks like the obvious choice – if it's reprinted, that is…

Best,

Joachim

DSCF2246.jpg

Looks nice Jonathan.

What paints did you use there? Did you go with the Humbrol colours specified by Airfix?

TIA

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick, Humbrol acrylics thinned with windshield washer fluid, Kleer varnish then a coat of Humbrol satin acrylic. Sadly the model has since been loaned out so I didn't get the chance to photograph her finished!

Hi there,well,i went & got one....!!

it's good isn't it ?? :thumbsup: (compared to the abominable Me 109* :deadhorse: !!)

Started it Yesterday,was fairly impressed with fit,of parts,will do Swedish Scheme,for my Club's OOB Night

But will change all that,much later on,for ANOTHER overall PRU-Blue scheme,(RAF WW2).

So far so good,let's seriously hope the Mk IX is half as good,eh ?? :whistle::please::shrug:

Cheers,Bazza.

*YES,i KNOW that designation is wrong,but SO is the KIT !! !!

Edited by Bazza

Finally got my hands on one, and it looks a nice little kit, certainly plan to build a couple more.

I think I spotted one error that no-one else seems to have mentioned - have Airfix cocked up the alierons again?

The hinge line is the same top and bottom, although this time it looks like the correct line on top and too small on the lower wing.

Finally got my hands on one, and it looks a nice little kit, certainly plan to build a couple more.

I think I spotted one error that no-one else seems to have mentioned - have Airfix cocked up the alierons again?

The hinge line is the same top and bottom, although this time it looks like the correct line on top and too small on the lower wing.

Annoying that they continue to make small mistakes like this, but at least it should be fairly simple to correct.

you have lost me

But the 19 is hinged in the middle and the back of the wing is flat where it sits, dont think there is a difference in skin overhang, you set the clearance in the gap to a set figure last time I helped hang some on. will look monday

The pic was only intended to show Frise type ailerons. The hinge point is irrelevant as long as it is such that part of the aileron projects below the wing under surface. It's always been my understanding that Spitfires were all equipped with Frise type ailerons, otherwise they would need a boot full of rudder to fly balanced turns.

peebeep

I've got three of them now, and building the first at the moment. Nice little kit and the fit is pretty good. Panel lines are a little deep, but that's just my opinion.

Another little thing they seem to have missed too Dave. The small teardropped fairing on each upper wing surface has been missed off, but they can be added. Just outside the root walkways......

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/up...-6/29/51522.jpg

Edited by Veltro

And where are the prominent canopy slide rails, the canopy stoppers, the air outlet vent (visible here just in front of the whip-aerial)?

Spitfirepilot10.jpg

Fair enough, they weren't present on this MPM kit either and I added them myself. Fair enough also that it will be some time yet before the Airfix kit is available here in Western Australia, so all I can go on are the images I'm seeing of it on the internet...but let's stop kidding ourselves, this is not a great kit. It's mediocre at best. Still, I understand that it's cheap, so I suppose you get what you pay for.

None of its shortcomings will stop me from buying it, but I can't help feeling disappointed by them all the same. There's going to be just as much work involved - if not more - in making a realistic model from it as there is in building either the MPM or Fujimi kits.

Sorry if my views don't sit well with those of you who just want a 'fun' building experience resulting in something that looks a little bit like the right shape, but I want realism in my models. If I only wanted shelf-fillers, then I'd simply buy ready-made die-casts.

Having said all that, I suppose it will at least be 'fun' to turn the raw material into something more closely resembling the genuine article!

Cheers all,

Tim.

The outlet air vent is there but blink and you'll miss it! So are the canopy rails but they are quite subtle.

Look, there's a choice. The expensive Fujimi kit, which needs a lot of work to eliminate the armed option, plus a new interior. The MPM kit which is a horror to assemble and could do with a better cockpit interior. The long gone Ventura kit, which needs major clean up and a complete interior. And the Airfix one, which does have some minor flaws but nothing that we can't overcome.

BTW...i have virtually done mine,i still maintain it's a damn fine kit !!

(may well get another one,in a "what-if"....?? scheme)

BUT one small cocky-up,on the Decal front....!!

The instructions,for the Swedish example,mention a small decal,#16,("first aid panel"),which is TOTALLY absent on the sheet !! :wall:

WHOOPS !! :banghead::hmmm::oops::doh:

Take a good look,and prove me right !!

Naughty,naughty,Airfix,a Typo error !!

Cheers Bazza.

Yes, I know chaps, I'm being too critical of a kit that I don't even have in my own hands yet...I'm sorry! Of course I'll always find things to improve on in a kit as it comes out of the box...but that's just me. I'll refrain from further comment until I DO get my itchy fingers on the plastic...whenever that will be, of course!

Still no sign of that Mk IX, I suppose? THAT's the one I'm really wanting to get at!

Did a bit of research and as far as I can see the mk XIX had the same Frise ailerons as the earlier Spitfires, so a little rescribing needed.

Playing around with the mk XIX last night I decided to compare it with an Airfix mk 1 (taken to be the 'Gold' standard as far as 1/72 IJ moulded Spitfire accuracy). The two compare quite well, with the 'rudder post to cockpit' exactly spot on.

Wingspan and leading edge of the wing are identical, but there is an interesting discrepancy on the wing trailing edge - the mk XIX kit has a progressively deeper chord from tip - root, resulting in a difference in chord at the wing root of about a mm (and a different shape to the plan). Not sure which is right, but it is an observation. Doesn't affect the overall look of the kit IMO.

Maybe we need another thread to discuss accuracies/improvements in the kit?

The PR19 wing will fit the Airfix Mk 1a fuselage, although the latter does need some minor surgery to allow the back of the wing to fit whilst the PR19 wing will need the radiator mounts removed and filled plus the booster pumps removed for earlier PR types. How accurate the wing is for earlier PR types isn't my field.