At last

Ken

Mk XV? You'll need an F. XII as a basis - short nose Griffon. Or buy a Ventura (or whoever has it now as they're back out under a new label) one off the shelf.

Not so bad news. Currently building the Airfix XIX. The spinner needs fettling and some gentle clean up all round is needed, but the fit is really positive. Except for the underside camera ports which are really anaemic for the holes. Krstal Kleer there methinks. Not too keen on the shape of the radiators as TIM pointed out and the carb intake looks a little small. Apart from that, I'm well chuffed with it.

Bad news. The old Airkit/SAM F.21 does not fit. I now have a knacked wing but that just means an opportunity to do the FR.XIVc.

The new XIX is very good, nice detailing but still needs love, care and scratch built detail...just my kind of model!

An FR.XIVc would be a good conversion. The Mk.XV looks do to go, I have an 1:72 Mk.XII and there looks to be only a few mm difference...nothing a saw can sort.

The spinner needs fettling and some gentle clean up all round is needed, but the fit is really positive.

I think its the back plate, the raised ring in the middle seems to stop the forward section fromseating properly - I gave it a few swipes with a sanding stick to reduce the ring, spinner then sits better.

Or buy a Ventura (or whoever has it now as they're back out under a new label) one off the shelf.

Anyone any idea who?

Bad news. The old Airkit/SAM F.21 does not fit. I now have a knacked wing but that just means an opportunity to do the FR.XIVc.

About 18 years ago, Joe C casted some mk 21/22/24 wings from somewhere (Pegasus?) - might have a set somewhere

Anyone any idea who?

The Ventura 1/72 Spitfire range seems to have been taken over by someone called Jay's Models:

http://www.hiplanes.com/new/jays_models_pricelist.html

I'm embarrassed to admit that somehow I accumulated absolutely *stupid* quantities of many of these kits, particularly the Mk XIV and the various Mk XV's. I have at least one office photocopier paper box completely filled with Ventura Spitfires, and I believe there may be some overflow as well. And remember, those kits came in very small boxes! That was back in the day when I'd buy a flat rock if someone painted the word "Spitfire" on it...

John T.

The only thing really wrong with the Ventura kits was the amount of clean up and they did drastically improve between the Spit 18 and the 22/24 kit. That and the lack of cockpit detail, although some would say that's merely an opportunity.

As for my planned (fictional) FR.21, the SAM wings fit the MPM PR XIX better, and as I got a load of them cheap, one has already been butchered.

The only thing really wrong with the Ventura kits was the amount of clean up and they did drastically improve between the Spit 18 and the 22/24 kit. That and the lack of cockpit detail, although some would say that's merely an opportunity.

As for my planned (fictional) FR.21, the SAM wings fit the MPM PR XIX better, and as I got a load of them cheap, one has already been butchered.

I think we have skewed the post covering the new Airfix Mk.XIX! :whistle:

It's still Spitfire related!

To get back on topic, kind of! The Airfix Vc wings fit, which means so will the Aeroclub ones. And they do - I've a wing I'd messed about to get something else but failed and can now salvage as an E wing. And it does fit the PRXIX, so an FRXIV is possible. Does need a little fettling but not a problem.

I think its the back plate, the raised ring in the middle seems to stop the forward section fromseating properly - I gave it a few swipes with a sanding stick to reduce the ring, spinner then sits better.

For what is worth it took two of us and some serious struglling to get the real one off.......... so Airfix have got that right :)

Hey Chaps,

Got a couple of XIX's yesterday and must admit I'm well chuffed. Got them home and decided to check them against the plans in "AIRCRAFT ARCHIVE Volume 1 Fighters of WW2" the fuselage and wings were spot on. The tailplanes are a little bit thin in chord but not so much that it's a worry. The only thing I'm really disappointed with is the pilot figure, he seems very small, although the seperate arms will help with conversion of other figures.

All in all a great little kit at a pocket money price.

Bob

Edited by Robert A

Thanks for all the interesting comments, everyone.

Jonathan- Thanks for building one up so quick. It looks very nice put together.

Speaking as someone who built three Fujimi Spitfire XIV derivatives, i was worried that Airfix could have seriously botched this one. So glad to hear this does not appear to be the case.

The panel lines and pebbly texture will go away no doubt after i prime my model and wet-sand back to bare plastic, which i do on all my models.

How does the rocker cover detail look on the front end? There are some very complicated compound curves and undercuts here and i wondered how well it was integrated into the fuselage halves. Fujimi engineered this area into separate pieces for that very reason.

I'm no "Boffin", but sure looks like a welcome relief from battling the Fujimi kit, or going all Medieval with the Ventura offering.

Don't get me wrong about the Fujimi- it has some great undercarriage struts, but its just over-engineered and a lot of work to put together. Not justified by its stratospheric price tag.

All the Best,

David

The panel lines and pebbly texture will go away no doubt after i prime my model and wet-sand back to bare plastic, which i do on all my models.

To be honest David, I've always felt the "pebbly texture" thing has always been blown way out of proportion - once a coat of primer goes on, the type of plastic finish is pretty immaterial.

The Rotol prop blades are pretty distinctive on this a/c, and the ones molded in the kit look badly done (mind you, I haven't seen anything out-of-box that captures the ones for the Griffon Spits well, the Fujimi kits coming closest). Looks like a bit of reshaping is required, or an easier route (given the mentioned issues with the spinner and backplate) is to get a Quickboost set.

The prop blades on this kit looks similar to the ones on the 1/48 Mk IX, which were an abomination.

Definitely going to pick one or two of these up now. At that price, whose complaining? Certainly the prettiest of the breed IMHO.

I always thought the Academy Mk.XIV was the dogs bits when it first appeared, but after seeing other members comments, I'm not so sure now. Anyway, so long as it looks like a Spit, then I will live with it.

Hi,

Jonathan, How did you like the decals? I've the Airfix boxing of the Xtra meteor and the decals are pretty shiny, totaly different from the old airfix kits. And I was wondering if they are any good because else I'll have to buy the Model Alliance decals too.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: How acurate can the paintscheme from the BBMF PS915 be considered? It supposed to be the one included in the kit, but the noseart and the squardon crest is not visible on the decals included...

;)

Edited by 128fiddler

...exhaust stack... They don't rust.

I agree 100%. The only time I've ever seen a piston engined airplane with a truly rusty exhaust pipe was when it had been sitting out in the open, unflown and unloved, for many, many months to years. When pipes heat up and cool down, or when the airplane is hangared, the pipes simply do not rust. They discolor, but the discoloration is *not* rust colored! The pipes are a dark metallic grey with shades (depending on age, type of steel, etc) varying from golden to purple and blue. Rust is not among the colors I've ever noted in close 40 years of looking and ogling at real airplanes.

But then we all know British front collector rings are all bronze, right? :)

J

PS: And all WWII Luftwaffe airplanes are 70/71/65.

The only thing I'm really disappointed with is the pilot figure, he seems very small..

Did you ever squeeze yourself into a Spit? Maybe they were trying to portray the size pilot it would actually take to fit comfortably into one ;) I'm only 5'8" and with out a parachute under my butt, my head was practically hitting the canopy of the USAFM's PR.XI!

Looking fwd to seeing the PR.XIX on this side of the big ditch.

J

Hi,

Jonathan, How did you like the decals? I've the Airfix boxing of the Xtra meteor and the decals are pretty shiny, totaly different from the old airfix kits. And I was wondering if they are any good because else I'll have to buy the Model Alliance decals too.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: How acurate can the paintscheme from the BBMF PS915 be considered? It supposed to be the one included in the kit, but the noseart and the squardon crest is not visible on the decals included...

;)

The register and adhesion is fine, I had no problems with these bedding down over a gloss coat.

PS915 is spot on compared to the period pics of PS888 (Paul Lucas did the research on PS915 and has some excellent period photosgraphs).

Ordered one and the mkX1 coloured panel from eduards, I know its not the right one, but hey its better than nothing and I would like to open the canopy...... well I will give it a cry.. sorry try :)

I went with the kit one for my first (I ordered half a dozen!) but I'll use one of the resin ones I cast using the Academy cockpit as a pattern.

Incidentally, if you've the Eduard boxing of the Aeroteam Spitfire F21, the injection cockpit parts are spare and the panel does fit the Airfix PRXIX.

I went with the kit one for my first (I ordered half a dozen!) but I'll use one of the resin ones I cast using the Academy cockpit as a pattern.

Incidentally, if you've the Eduard boxing of the Aeroteam Spitfire F21, the injection cockpit parts are spare and the panel does fit the Airfix PRXIX.

Sounds far to complex for me, I just wanted to give it a spruce up a bit, and chuck some belts in it, though they should be blue..... ahhh cele la vive, have a huge look around the cockpit composite photo I made up somewhere, as a reference

Better get my decals sorted for the old dog.... doing the erm RR one, went over it with a tape measure to get the sizes of the roundels etc, though it's got more shades of blue on it than the sky has.

Depends on what wheels you fit BTW you will need to modify the upper skin and add some bulges.

Better get my decals sorted for the old dog....

On the subject of decals and abominations, the Swedish decals on the kit sheet have the colours all wrong. The blue of the roundels is much too pale, the rotten egg yolk orange should be a bright, primary yellow — and the crowns should be outlined in black.

There's a nice 1:72nd sheet for a Swedish AF S31 (PR Mk XIX) by Maestro Decals, http://www.rebell.com/s31-spitfire.html. The sheet contains all the stencilling and walkways as well, but is currently on back order. I'd hazard a guess that the Airfix kit will stimulate a reprint soon…

Best,

Joachim

Edited by Spitfire31