My little railways

Hiya,

At last somewhere where I can post pictures of what I call my model railways!!!! If you can call them that.................

Firstly, My little N Gauge :) With My lovely little Terrier, M7 and Class 73 on it :)

STA60575.jpg

STA60578.jpg

STA60579.jpg

STA60581.jpg

And My current project, a OO/009 layout that's costing me a grand total of £2.50

STA60582.jpg

Jon

That is lovely...

I detect a hint of scarasm. So, what do people really think of them?

I really would like to know because as much as I like to hear what I like to hear, it won't help me improve them which is the main reason why I posted them on here.

:please:

Jon

Edited by trainfan5

That looks like you'll get hours of fun out of it although you are suffering from major rolling stock congestion.

Layouts can be kept simple with the focus on operating it for enjoyment or you could have taken the never ending work on the diorama route.

I'd prefer the fun ...you've got it nailed Guv (SR rolling stock pun intended!).

Edited by PHREAK

I really would like to know because as much as I like to hear what I like to hear, it won't help me improve them which is the main reason why I posted them on here.

:please:

Jon

Jon,

From a modelling point of view, there is nothing wrong with it, looks really smart and well presented and yes I like it (would like more photos of the ED though ) :thumbsup2:

From a prototype point of view, what do you want from it? Do you want it realistic? Specific year? Specific area? Specific traffic? The list is endless to be honest. In my view, a model railway is only as good as the person who built it wants it to be, the above mentioned reasons. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Bexy

Jon,

From a modelling point of view, there is nothing wrong with it, looks really smart and well presented and yes I like it (would like more photos of the ED though ) :thumbsup2:

From a prototype point of view, what do you want from it? Do you want it realistic? Specific year? Specific area? Specific traffic? The list is endless to be honest. In my view, a model railway is only as good as the person who built it wants it to be, the above mentioned reasons. Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Bexy

It is supposed to be somewhere in 1950s/60s Southern England on one of the many branchlines that once served the area. Its mainly based on my old 00 layout so it's anything but realistic it's the best I can do with my limited scenery building skills but I'm getting better (as can be seen on my 009 layout, hopefully).

Jon

It is supposed to be somewhere in 1950s/60s Southern England on one of the many branchlines that once served the area. Its mainly based on my old 00 layout so it's anything but realistic it's the best I can do with my limited scenery building skills but I'm getting better (as can be seen on my 009 layout, hopefully).

Jon

When I had my old layout, my scenery skills were total crap, so I just kept plugging away at various other things like signals, power huts, small ground frames to try and divert attention around the layout.

Now then, if you want it 50/60's then technically your 73(ED) is the wrong colour, and should be Electric Blue with an "E" prefix serial, plus the civil engineers grey and yellow wagons are a bit modern too, but the other advantage one has with a model railway, is the "What If" scenario, if word your ideas correctly, wiggle a date or two, adjust a line so its a "preserved" line you can have a field day........... You with me?

Bexy

When I had my old layout, my scenery skills were total crap, so I just kept plugging away at various other things like signals, power huts, small ground frames to try and divert attention around the layout.

Now then, if you want it 50/60's then technically your 73(ED) is the wrong colour, and should be Electric Blue with an "E" prefix serial, plus the civil engineers grey and yellow wagons are a bit modern too, but the other advantage one has with a model railway, is the "What If" scenario, if word your ideas correctly, wiggle a date or two, adjust a line so its a "preserved" line you can have a field day........... You with me?

Bexy

you'd be surprised. It IS Electric Blue and carries a E preflex (E6043 to be precise).

I am with you and it is something I'm considering (cause I'm after one of Dapol's B17s).

Jon

you'd be surprised. It IS Electric Blue and carries a E preflex (E6043 to be precise).

:sorry: It looks like Rail Blue in the photo :doh:

I am with you and it is something I'm considering (cause I'm after one of Dapol's B17s).

Jon

Kewl, wait till you have a Green deltic running with Intercity Swallow liveried Mk2 coaches and yu get some plank tell it never happened, I know it did coz I was the Guard on it :rofl: But every layout I ever built always had a preserved spur on it, meant I could run what ever I wanted.

Bexy

:sorry: It looks like Rail Blue in the photo :doh:

No Probs. I took a piccy anyway which is below :)

STA60583.jpg

Kewl, wait till you have a Green deltic running with Intercity Swallow liveried Mk2 coaches and yu get some plank tell it never happened, I know it did coz I was the Guard on it :rofl: But every layout I ever built always had a preserved spur on it, meant I could run what ever I wanted.

Bexy

Its very tempting cause then its anything goes allowing me to use my lesser spotted Class 31 in 1990s Dutch Livery.

Jon

Always very difficult to decide what a railway model is supposed to do ..... There are so many more options than with say making a Vulcan, Eh Bexy. When I built mine it was first to give room to run trains, with scenery very much a distant second. Then I decided on a period, that was no problem as I wanted to do Blue BR diesels. What became a real problem was deciding where it should be, because of regional colours for doors, signs and such, in particular the actual locomotives to be used !!

Not wanting to be a rivet counter I'm still running in a non-specific area which can offend some. I run Southern Region 33's and work my goods shunting with Class 06's which as far as I know never got further sount than Tyneside.

So I'd suggest you make what YOU like, even a non running diorama. As far as scenery development the only way (as in fact with most modelling) is to jump in and DO IT.

Anyway I like what I see and I'd prefer not to be critical - heck this is just meant to be fun, just get on and enjoy and share what you do with some photo's here.

'V'

So I'd suggest you make what YOU like, even a non running diorama. As far as scenery development the only way (as in fact with most modelling) is to jump in and DO IT.

Anyway I like what I see and I'd prefer not to be critical - heck this is just meant to be fun, just get on and enjoy and share what you do with some photo's here.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with 009/00 Industrial Layout :) I think I'll post some shots of my 00 which is pure preserved railway :) therefore, anything I want (including a Peppercorn A1 called Tornado as of November :) )

Jon

No Probs. I took a piccy anyway which is below :)

STA60583.jpg

Ah that is Rail Blue Im afraid, Electric Blue was a sky blue colour.

Its very tempting cause then its anything goes allowing me to use my lesser spotted Class 31 in 1990s Dutch Livery.

Jon

Thats what I like to hear :thumbsup2: 31's are great fun.

My dear friend V has hit the nail squarely on the head :worthy: Even though he had to mention building a Vulcan :bleh::lol:

Bexy

That's a nice looking layout you have there Jon. I'm a fellow Southern modeller and have the usual dilema - whether to model the juice rail or not - I know Peco do it in OO guage but I have never gotten around to installing any as you can see here - electric units with nowhere to go (unless a Crompton can give them a tug somewhere!).

153948842.jpg

I vaguely remember Warships in Waterloo as a very young lad so that inspired this picture:-

153948861.jpg

That layout was in the garage of a previous house and no longer exists I'm afraid. Regarding improving your skills, it really depends what you want to do. I like looking at period colour photos and trying to take in the colours of scenery, roads, building, grass etc. To me, the devil is in the detail. Do you have "Marie Celeste" trains running on your layout? - i.e. no driver up front and no people in the carriages etc. It amazes me how often you see this at shows on big layouts - wonderful scenery, trackwork, signalling, even cows and sheep - but barely a human being to be seen! The main thing I noticed about your layout was the colour of the "grass" - a bit bright for my liking. You could tone it down a bit with dull coloured paints or even pastils. It is very hard to give advice, even when invited like you have done. Much easier to respond to requests for information - how do I weather a loco, where should my signals go, what type of signals do I use? etc. etc. (did I mention I have been a signalling engineer for 32 years now :banghead: ).

I envy you Jon - you have a working layout and I have a box of track and rolling stock in my loft. Enjoy it and keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Al (ex. Southern Region Signal and Telecomms Engineering Dept, Southern House, Croydon 1978-1996)

I'm a fellow Southern modeller and have the usual dilema - whether to model the juice rail or not - I know Peco do it in OO guage but I have never gotten around to installing any as you can see here - electric units with nowhere to go (unless a Crompton can give them a tug somewhere!).

Ironically, I'm having that dilema as well. As I'm finally going to add scenery to my 00.

Do you have "Marie Celeste" trains running on your layout? - i.e. no driver up front and no people in the carriages etc. It amazes me how often you see this at shows on big layouts - wonderful scenery, trackwork, signalling, even cows and sheep - but barely a human being to be seen!

Is there any other kind :lol: I do plan to add passengers when I have the time and I can work out how to get the roofs off without writing off a £20 coach :o

The main thing I noticed about your layout was the colour of the "grass" - a bit bright for my liking. You could tone it down a bit with dull coloured paints or even pastils.

Will be hard to edit with pastils, its scatter but its worth a try.

where should my signals go, what type of signals do I use? etc. etc. (did I mention I have been a signalling engineer for 32 years now :banghead: ).

That's good to know. You may be very handy then for when I get round to planning where to put point motors, colour light signals and the like.

Jon

Edited by trainfan5

Hi Trainfan5,

Taking the coaches apart ... a small risk just don't force anything, however the most expensive part is putting figures in, I don't know how difficult it is to get seated 'N' gauge in a range of poses, but I tend to use Noch HO in my one and only populated car, my '00' class 121 bubble. One packet of 6 figures is not enough as that's what I used, but cost £6+, in retrospect I should have at least 12 people. I also added internal lighting which looks good in lower light environments, but just highlights that there are so few people on board !!

'V'

Hi Trainfan5,

Taking the coaches apart ... a small risk just don't force anything, however the most expensive part is putting figures in, I don't know how difficult it is to get seated 'N' gauge in a range of poses, but I tend to use Noch HO in my one and only populated car, my '00' class 121 bubble. One packet of 6 figures is not enough as that's what I used, but cost £6+, in retrospect I should have at least 12 people. I also added internal lighting which looks good in lower light environments, but just highlights that there are so few people on board !!

'V'

Thanks for that advice. I'm not going to even try with my N gauge stock but my 00 is another matter! I'll remember that the next time I give it a go.

Jon

Love the Terrier!! I actually drove "Bodiam" back in 2006........I have a couple (Dapol/Hornby) in OO gauge and will treat myself to its tinier cousin. Plan is for an "N" gauge layout based on (probably very vaguely!!) on the Swanage line - maybe as a preserved line....a bit more scope....I have a Dapol M7 and a GraFar "Jinty" already......and theres a Standard 3MT due soon.........................

Edited by Bill Clark

Hi Jon,

That's a very nice “N” gauge layout. If you are extending you layout have you checked out any of the books that are available on layout designs? They are pitched at all levels and minimise the risk of producing a layout that lacks operational potential,just because a layout is small and detailed, doesn't mean it has to be boring to operate,an example being Cyril Freezer's Minories,you could also try Rmweb.com for ideas.

I know this might seem to be jumping the gun but have you considered DCC? Although it may seem expensive it has many benefits I would seriously consider it before expanding your locomotive stock, it simplifies wiring,gives you the ability to add sound and lights and as a bonus it improves running. I don't have a layout but all the locomotives I now build are DCC fitted.

Once again I appear to be the only one on this board that carries the flag for the true Premier Line and it's descendants I am sorry but Maunsell and Bullied don't quite cut the mustard when compared to Bowen Cooke,Hughes Stanier, Ivatt and Riddles,I rest my case. :tease:

Malcolm

Nice little layout there Jon, but must agree it is a tad overstocked, however as others have said and I must agree, a layout is what you want, how you want it and you can run what you want on it.

Hi Mal, from the names you've quoted I assume you are an LMS fan, as I am to.