Canberra PR3

It begins.

Looks like quite a simple conversion but I'll be scratch building some parts such as cockpit detail, undercart bays, turbine faces, jet pipes, camera bays and whatever shortcomings show up as the build progresses (photo's of parts break down soon)

. . . Kes

So, the build will be from these . . .

P7204102.jpg

I won't bother with sprue shots as I'd think you'll be familliar with this kit being a Canberra GB!!

P7204104.jpg

Ol' Aeroclub conversion set. The reason the two halves of the fuse/nose are blue is that I've been experimenting with an ancient tin of Humbrol Authentic HX3 PRU Blue, which seems fine!!

The conversion set come from Martin Hale via another forum sometime last year, (Thanks again M)

All thoughts and opinions welcome

Right, best get on with it then!!

. . . Kes

edit,looking at the photo's the PRU Blue looks more like Dark sea grey!! looks like PRU Blue in 'real' life, must be the lighting or something?

Edited by Kes

Kes,

The colour does look a bit off, but Im no photography experten, but having seen the bits Im looking forwards to this :yahoo:

Bexy

Progress. . . Looking closer at the Aeroclub conversion it seems to me that the cockpit details are very similar to the kit parts, bit odd given this set is intended for an Italeri kit?? Being a bit better molded I used the kit parts for the interior detail, they needed a bit of filing and sanding to get them to fit, but they're in now!!

P7204105.jpg

I joined the fuselage halves ready to cut off the front end, It doesn't show up well in the photo but there's a raised panel line which scales out well for the Aeroclub nose and it's 14'' extention. . Sloshed a bit of Hu33 in the cockpit!!

P7204107.jpg

I'll add more detail later, the good thing about this kit is it has a nice wide cockpit opening so this can be done at a later stage, but there are somethings which need attention before fitting to the kit fuselage, there are a number of openings which need doing, the two windows above the rear compartment and the one on the port side, also the camera bays

. . . Kes

Kes,

So now youve got all of Rich's ref photos of WF922, we can expect a highly detailed model........ Good oh :wicked:

Bexy

Rhinoplasty complete following aforementioned panel line

P7214110.jpg

Also closed up the front end after drilling and filing out the portside window using the original kit transparency, bit more buffing and polishing needed

P7214111.jpg

Not the absolute best fit I've ever seen, but nothing too troublesome!!

The worst thing to happen was I've cracked my canopy!! I don't fancy the vacform in the conv set, still, nevermind, I'm sure something will turn up?!?!

. . . Kes

Thats a good start apart from the Canopy Kes. I havent got a spare one, but try kspriss, he might have one hidden away in his vast new found canberra stash :lol:

Bexy

Thats a good start apart from the Canopy Kes. I havent got a spare one, but try kspriss, he might have one hidden away in his vast new found canberra stash :lol:

Bexy

thank you BexVon Cheekybugger!!..its only cranberry envy!

unfortunately Kes, fishbowl-type canopies im about 5 short of myself! :frantic: ..now if you wanted a b(i)8 one i have loads of them! :shithappens: im going to have to get a load of aeroclub vac ones as well

sorry about that, if i had a spare one it would be all yours

hang on a sec, would an old frog one fit?, cause i have one of those ill have a look if its a reasonable fit on the airfix nose its yours..also will your old airfix nose be going in the bin?..if so could i have it instead...i feel an idea coming on.....

Edited by kspriss

thank you BexVon Cheekybugger!!..its only cranberry envy!

also will your old airfix nose be going in the bin?..if so could i have it instead...i feel an idea coming on.....

The Prosecution rests her case M'Lud :wicked:

Bex von :smartass:

looks like the carpet monster has eaten the frog one :banghead: ..i had a very quick look and its not where i put it the other day, bear with me, ill have a bench clearing session when i get in later and let you know. if it turns up, its yours.

steve

Hey Steve, Thanks for the offer, but John (Mister Canberra) has come to my rescue thankfully.

We've done a bit'o tradin' in the past via UAMF haven't we? and we'll continue to do so in the future if I have my way, like I just PM'd to John, It's good to have a network of friends who are willing to offer help and assistance when there's 'small scale technical problem' (sic) just hope I can return the favour sometime,

and the nose section? I'm thinking T22 conversion with cutting another kit nose to allow for a PR7 fuselage and a buccaneer nose. (you haven't got a spare bucc nose have you??)Ha!

Thanks again

. . . Kes

hiya kes..yes i believe we have done over on UAMF ..i had that 32nd f3f biplane thing from you..which STILL isnt finished yet!!! no probs, if john has come to your rescue thats great, hes a top, top bloke!!!!

unfortunately my only spare bucc nose is destined to go on a b(i)8 for the conversion to the black icing tanker they have at newark. was only wondering if your old airfix nose was going into the spares box i might have a germ of an idea that would make bexy's cabriolet canberra in 48th look sane!

best of luck with your entry mate!!

steve

Done a bit more

Started to box in the main undercart bays with plasticard

P7234114.jpg

Bit o' paint on the Aeroclub bang seat

P7234115.jpg

. . . Kes

edit, oooh eck, bit fuzzy that piccie init? I'll do better next time?!!?

Edited by Kes

This is what I've been doing for the past hour and a half. . .

Made a couple of temporary molds from BluTac (why they still call it Blu when clearly it's yellow??) from an after market whitemetal turbine face. . .

P7234116.jpg

Added some fast setting styrene resin, the stuff used with glass fibre matting in dodgy car repairs

P7234117.jpg

Twenty minutes later . . .

P7234119.jpg

Bit o' paint . . .

P7234121.jpg

Okay, so they need a bit of tweaking and maybe Airframe silver is a bit bright but they are better than the kit bits?

P7234122.jpg

. . . Kes

The canopy turned up today, very fast!! quicker that a lot of ebay sellers I know, better packaged too, Many thanks John, I look forward to returning the favour one day

. . . Kes

Moving on. . .

I've managed to get the new nose on, not fantastic, it was made for an Italeri kit, now I don't know if that kit differs from the Airfix kit in fuselage diameter (I realise it shouldn't they should be the same!!) but the new nose is very slightly larger, I thought about opening the Airfix fuselage a little at the lower join just forward of the bombay but this would create problems with the bombay doors, so a bit of filling and sanding is in order, I've boxed in the nosegear bay with parts from the kit, namely a section of the bombay roof and one of it's end pieces

P7264127.jpg

P7264128.jpg

The wings are best part done, boxed in with plasticard they need a little more detailing with longitudinal struts, the engine front faces need a little more work too

P7264130.jpg

P7264131.jpg

. . . Kes

Added some fast setting styrene resin, the stuff used with glass fibre matting in dodgy car repairs

P7234119.jpg

. . . Kes

Nice work Kes. The Cranberry is coming along very well.

I tried the same technique after reading it in an old SAM article. The resin gave pretty good detail when I copied some 1/20 F1 engine parts. The best detail though came from the hardened resin in the little Night Nurse cup I used. The leftover had all the graduations on it!

Got my :popcorn: ready for this build.

Phil.

Edited by PHIL B

Right then. . .

. . . filling and sanding ad infinitum got me here, the pile of dust was huge!! According to RJ Carruana's drawings in Warpaint No.60 English Elecrtic Canberra I cut out and filed square the slot in the dorsal position just aft of the canopy to let in the kit part for the rear compartments roof window thingys . . . Then fitted that part, which went better than expected, it stands slightly proud at the mo, this is so it can be filed sanded and polished back to create a seamless finish. Hopefully!!

P7274135.jpg

P7274136.jpg

While stuff was drying setting etc. I stuck these together, as most of you know, the Airfix tip tanks are about half an inch too long, I'll take a razor saw to them later

P7284140.jpg

. . . Kes

Here a simple but effective method of improving the kit jet pipes, drill and file out the originals and slot in a length of 9/32 aluminium tube! Took about ten minutes, works for me!!

P7284141.jpg

. . . Kes