Maxidad's Build #2

Maxidad

Thanks to Blimp for this one. Although the Monospar isn't finished, I thought I'd better even the Republican/Franco tally and build a fascist a/c too.

Boxshot.jpg

Sprues.jpg

Here's the resin:

resin.jpg

engines.jpg

I know a lot of you folk soup up the cockpits and interiors, but I just can't see how anyone has a chance of appreciating them in this scale and for this a/c, once the fuselage is put together and the canopy installed and painted. So I am keeping very much to the basics inside.

cockpit4.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

insides.jpg

The vertical tail surfaces require some careful positioning - as there are no locaitng pins.

Just the top half on:

tail2.jpg

And the bottom half:

tail1.jpg

It's gonna need some putty and filing later.

Still, it's got a nice feel to this kit. I hope I can do somewhere near as good a job as Redboost's Vultee.

great start Maxidad. :thumbsup:

The thing i love about this GB, apart from Blimp of course, is that there are types being built we wouldn't necessarily see otherwise!

maybe that fin fit is one reason why! :lol:

bad news is all the popcorn i've gotten through! :popcorn:

I second that about blimp. :worthy:

As for the different a/c, you're spot on. Also I happen to really love the Electra/Lodestar/Hudson/Ventura family - really stylish, elegant and magnificent. machines.

so far, does the kit go together well? I've got the same kit in the stash, but I think I will build Amelia Earhart's plane....

Alex

Well, I'd say it's pretty typical for these Czech manufacturer (Azur/Special Hobby/MPM). It's a very hard plastic, so filing is quite arduous. There are two "bulkheads" - the one behind the pilot seats and one nearer the tail (the latter you have to score with a knife and fold - wasn't hard). These bulkheads and the floor do have to be sanded to shape so that the fuselage halves fit togther.

I have dry fitted the wing assembly. To the lower fuselage, the fit is good. But there are gaps on the upper surfaces where the wing roots and fuselage come together (about 1mm on each side). Getting the milliput ready.

So far, not Tamigawa, but then what do you expect from Special Hobby?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it was rather ambitious to imagine I could get this done in 3 weeks. Neverthless, on goes the build. Here are the latest pix (sorry they're a bit blurry- taken in the garage on micro without flash):

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

As you can see below I have chosen another build with a less-than-straightforward canopy. Here the vac simply butts up to the fusealge, so this is gonna be tricky to blend in. I was thinking of priming with Mr. Surfacer 1200, then building up with Mr. Surfacer 500 to blend it in. I've no idea whether that will work as this is only the 3rd kit where I have used vac-form canopies. Any suggestions?

IMG_0419.jpg

b4prime1.jpg

Last question: the colour callout is RLM61/RLM63 over RLM65. I have Humbrol 87 which'll do for RLM63, but RLM61 equates to Humbrol 177, which I think is OOP. Any suggestions for this Dunkelbraun? I use both enamel and acrylics.

A cool looking a/c, worth the effort to take the time to get the details right...thanks for sharing...

Cheers,

ggc

ditto

smart looking twin

RLM 61 is given as Hu 10 or TXF 09

urban's receipe

Dunkelbraun Pre-war splinter scheme FS:30040 (30109, 30117) 29*Hu:60 + 9*Hu:99 + 7*Hu:33 + 4*Hu:34 (8*Hu:10 + 2*Hu:33) T:X-09+black

Hey Paul, love that conversion website! Excelletn resourse - thx.

hi rich , can you take a sliver off the bottom edge ? that should cure it . (there is usually a spare as well isn't there ?)

Hi T

No spare - not this time.

What would taking a sliver off the bottom edge do? The angle of the 3rd photo makes the canopy look higher than the fuselage, but it's not. There is a 1/2mm gap though.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I finished it tonight, but the piccies I took are a bit crappy. So I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Here are the pics:

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Main points to note:

1) I wish I could do a paint job as well as Redboost. I'm moderately happy with this build, but no matter how careful I am, I cannot seem to get a smooth, speck-free finish (cf. Redboost'd Vultee).

2) I have not modelled the two little pointy things (pitot tubes?), that I think should project from under the nose of this aircraft. (You can see what I mean from the boxart on the 1st post of this thread). If I feel the urge to start fiddling with heated sprues, I may well return to this.

3) Positioning the undercarriage struts was a complete guess as the instructions were very vague and of course there are no locating pins anywhere on this model.

4) Decals were super-thin and very sensitive - which means you have to get 'em in the right place pretty much as they go on. Unfortunately, as you can see they are a little out of register, which shows on the upper wing as a thin white outline.

Thanks for looking.