Gandalf the Grey

Nev

I picked this up at the Nationals last year - as I pointed out to Mike, its clearly NOT Gandalf the Grey, purely for copyright reasons ;) His nose is thinner than Ian McKellen's and the scabbard is too short for the sword to be Glamdring (so its Gandalf in his 2000 years before The Hobbit then ;) ) but a lot of the other details match the movies, such as his staff.

Boxtop

boxtop.jpg

Only 4 parts to this

IP1.jpg

Sadly there was not just a seam, but a STEP right down one side, which with all the folds in the robe was a right royal pain to sort out :doh:

IP2.jpg

IP3.jpg

There were also a few bubbles and pin-holes which I've filled, and he got a coat of primer today. I think I might try to do his robes using my airbrush - probly the best way to do all the highlights and shadow.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, been doing a bit more on this. The face & hair are pretty much done apart from the lips and some touch-ups. Put the first coat on his clothes, but spotted in these pics a couple of areas that need a but more cleaning up :doh:

For the robes, I am using White Ensign enamels, partly because they are brilliant paints for both airbrushing and brush painting, but also because I have a selection of US Navy WW2 greys and blues which are ideal for Gandalf :D

I'm thinking of airbrushing the highlights for his robe, whaddya think?

ip4.jpg

ip5.jpg

ip6.jpg

ip7.jpg

All comments, criticism and advice welcome.

Edited by Nev