AZ Vultee Vanguard

Kia Ora peeps

Finally, after what has seemed like an eternity, my little Vanguard is finally done and dusted.

For a small kit this presented a few challenges, but nothing that a bit o' common sense and filler couldn't fix.

First time NMF for me (apart from a disastrous Lightning some years back), painted using Model master buffing metallizers and Humbrol enamels.

Cheers from Aotearoa

Mike A

Van_041.jpg

Van_061.jpg

Nice work: my hat goes off to anyone tackling NMF.

Were there any particular challenges worth warning those of us with this kit in the stache about?

Nick

G'day Nick

Nothing major that can't be solved with patience! Mine had a large gap at the wing roots, and unless you make the base of the tail feathers concave you'll need filler there too. Instructions are a bit vague in places but just let common sense prevail!

It's more just having the patience to get a nice smooth finish than it being onerously difficult.

Cheers

Mike

Oh!

How nice to see a J-10 (RSwAF name for the Vanguard), aircrafts ordered and built but never delivered to the "Flygvapnet".

IIRC there's even pictures of P-66/J-10 flying with both swedish crown marks and american stars (on the same aircraft!) somewhere in the southeast asia region (Philippines?)

Edit: Did some research and found that it was not the P-66/J-10 that had the mixed markings, but some Republic P-35A (J-9 in Sweden), in the Philippines 1941.

These aircrafts had the swedish crowns on wings and fuselage but the rudder painted red, white and blue.

Edited by Dragon knight

That looks very nice. I just got both of the AZ kits a while ago, from Hannant's. I was a little sorry to see that it's a repop of the older Sword kit. I was hoping for a new kit. Oh well!

You've done a great job on yours, so maybe there's some hope for me.

Thanks for posting your model.

I just got both of the AZ kits a while ago, from Hannant's. I was a little sorry to see that it's a repop of the older Sword kit. I was hoping for a new kit. Oh well!

At least this time round one of the boxings (AZ7262) provides a canopy for the extended glazing appropriate to the one mocked up in RAF markings, even if you're left to hack out the rear fuselage spine yourself.

Nick

At least this time round one of the boxings (AZ7262) provides a canopy for the extended glazing appropriate to the one mocked up in RAF markings, even if you're left to hack out the rear fuselage spine yourself.

Nick

True enough. I was thinking of a bit of a " what if ' for one of them. I'll post a pic, if I ever do it.