How Do I.......

hamlrt

Hello There ,

This is probably in the wrong place , but hey ho . Now can any of you knowledgable people out there tell me how exactly could i model rubble from a wrecked house .

I am currently building the Dragon Elefant tank , and i would like very much to build a scenic base , however i justdont know how to make the rubble and detritus .

thanks

john

Have a squint at my review of the GNR bases that I bought recently here. They also make bags of bricks for you to purchase at a couple of quid a bag, and if you mix those with suitably small sized grit, concrete & even real bricks ground to size, you'll be half way there. A lot of diorama bods use chunks of polystyrene to bulk up their piles of rubble, and then drift on the details over the top, being careful to keep it random looking. Dusty pigments added to the piles & fixed with matt varnish will add to the look, as will chunks of broken glass & timber, which you can make from microscope slides & strips of balsa wood respectively, with the balsa suitably stained before adding to the piles.

One of the key things I remember from reading a diorama book a while ago is to make your rubble sensible. i.e. the right color bricks & types of debris, topped off with a few broken roof tiles, then dusted over... sort of like the real thing would happen, I guess? :)

HTH - I'm sure someone will be along with a bit more experience than me shortly thought ;)

Always remember that bricks on the outside of a wall will weather, so if they break, their insides will look lighter. And bricks often fall off in groups, still mortared together, and even individual bricks will still have mortar stuck to them. It's odd how often this is absent on dioramas. Same goes for any variety of stone (although if it's very large blocks, they're more likely to separate as they fall).

We could get very involved about bonds, brick sizes, rubble -v- ashlar construction, etc, but the easiest thing for that is probably to determine where your diorama is set and then scour the Interweb for information about local building styles for the hundred years or so before the war. Easy!