Rare Plane Grumman Guardian

I’ve been bullied from my deckchair by our furious bleeder :fuhrer: glorious leader into making a start on my Vac-form GB entry.

Here’s the kit parts, take a good look because it’s the last time you’ll see them looking anything like a Grumman Guardian. After I’ve finished with then they could look like……….well, who knows what :shrug: , a complete mess probably. :winkgrin:

Righty ‘oh. Off I go, better late than never I guess.

2009_0702stuff0030.jpg

Now back to my deckchair :sleep_1:

:bye: Dazie.

Edited by Diesel Gypsy

Rallychef Posted Today, 04:26 PM

Scaryplanes Dave, You gone over to the dark side?

No chance of that happening Ian.

This is just a little diversion.

Hope you get it boxed in time to start the RAC GB

Should do. In those immortal words of Clarkson “how difficult can it be”. :lol::unsure::shrug::tease:

Daze.

• 4 weeks later...

No I havn't glued it to the cutting mat..........yet Darren :winkgrin:

It took me a while to get round to trimming the parts, life got in the way unfortunately.

Now I’m in the sanding phase, rub-a-dub-dub…………

I’m surprised to admit that sanding down Vac-forms is rather therapeutic. I get a certain sense of satisfaction that all that sanding will yield a component that will eventually form part of a Grumman Guardian.

I’m enjoying this build. ;)

2009_0730VacGB0031.jpg

More a little later Folks.

:cheers:

Just a small update today folks.

I finished sanding the major components this morning & decided to do a dry run to see how everything fitted together.

Things fit together fairly well with no huge gaps or mismatches.

I think I’ll have to add some extra detail to the pit as that looks a little bare & the exhaust ports & engine cowling will need a bit of work.

The Grumman Guardian must have been an enormous aircraft I’ve placed a Spitfire along side for size comparison, both are 1:72nd scale.

This is my first ever Vac-form build, and the whole I’m pleased with the way it is progressing. I’m still having fun so that’s what counts aye.

2009_0801VacGB0032.jpg

More later & on folks.

Dazie

Well done Dazie! :clap: Looks like you're no longer a vacform virgin... they're kind of addictive after a while, so watch youself ;) It's a big bird alright... especially next to that Spit with the clipped wings. I'd never even heard of it until you started mumbling about building it :shrug:

Thanks for the kind words & encouragement guys.

I’ve not done much more to the build owing to the fact that I’ve been spending more time over at Frome Model Centre (FMC) helping out because Simon, the owner is in Hospital.

After a long day in the shop & seeing to my chucks & and assorted animals here I’m pretty knackered. I’ve found to my cost in the past that it’s no good trying to build when I’m bushed, things just don’t go right & I’ll end up making a complete ricket of it.

I expect it’ll be the weekend before I pick up the tools again.

Later & on.

Dazie.

• 5 months later...

Hello again folks.

Thanks to Mike the GB has been extended so I thought I’d kick some life into this Zombie thread & see if I can make some progress with this project.

I hope to finish it before the deadline but in case I don’t I’ll continue posting in the WIP Aircraft forum.

On inspecting my sanding handy work I can see that I’ve overdone things a tad in a place or two. I think this over-sanding occurred before I started to use the ally “T” section sanding guide/ holding thingamajig.

Uneven pressure during sanding caused the ends of one fuselage side to become over worked resulting in a banana shape & some nasty gaps.

2009_0815Honey0016-1.jpg

2009_0815Honey0018-1.jpg

I’ve also been opening up the various vents ducts in the nose.

Some of these are poorly fashioned & will need a bit of work to correct.

I’ve had to remove the moulded on exhaust stacks as these were extremely poor, I’ll have to scratch build some at a later date.

2009_0815Honey0038.jpg

Till next time.

Edited by Diesel Gypsy