Royal Navy MGB 43

davecov

I thought I would share some pictures of my "retro" conversion of the Airfix 1/72 RAF Rescue Launch to Royal Navy MGB 43 which I made as part of a Group Build on ATF. I call it a "retro" conversion because it was done using an old Airfix Magazine article by John Pritchard from 1980 which I tried to follow to the letter without resorting to after-market parts etc. Lots of scratch-building and surgery but at least I was spared using cellulose dope, talc and balsa wood!

mgb_43_gb_139_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_140_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_136_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_137_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_138_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_128_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_129_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_133_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_134_500.jpg

mgb_43_gb_135_500.jpg

Being the lazy person I am, I still have to design and print off the pennant number for the hull. Thing is, if I wait until they are done before showing the pictures, then they might never see the light of day!

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments. :D

I have just realised that this should have been posted in the "Ready for Inspection" forum but I didn't see it! :banghead:

I would be grateful if you could wipe away any spider's webs you may see, Cop! Unfortunately the site is now totally disorganised, hasn't been updated for a while and is in need of a good shake up! When I get some time I will be binning it and replacing it with a better one with dozens more warship articles than there are now and I might even put some wingy ones up there too!

• 2 years later...

Hello. This thread is now quite old, but I hope that someone will receive this message!

I am currently researching the heroic story of my great grandmother’s brother (or my great uncle) who served in World War Two. His name was Leslie Douglas Lanfear.

As quoted in the London Gazette (1941):

‘Able Seaman Lanfear during this attack was in charge of the gun which did most damage to the Enemy. A few days later he was again in action and showed the same coolness and skill. This time he was very badly wounded, but, though in great pain and unable to stand, he seized a Lewis gun and turned a steady and accurate fire on the Enemy, until he fainted.’

Lanfear was on M.G.B. 43… this same ship! Is there any more information you have about this ship?

Unfortunately, the medals were auctioned by a family member back in 2006 but I am aiming to learn more about him and his story to keep it alive within our family.

I would appreciate any help you can offer!

Thank you,

Grayce Kimberley

• Like 1