Italeri /AMT XB-70A Valkyrie

Evidence M'lud to prove if proof be needed that I really am ever so slightly unhinged..... :hypnotised:

Melchie

Message to moderators " General gone compleately tonto Stop. Bring straight jacket Stop."

Lovely work on a great looking plane General! :worthy: You have however almost got to the point where you make the rest of us look like sane level headed people! :mental:

Thanks folks,

You have however almost got to the point where you make the rest of us look like sane level headed people! mental.gif

Martin,.......good heavens man , Don't be ridiculous, Darling. The Hero of Mboto Gorge, mad? Well,

you've only got to look at him to see he's as sane as I am! Beeaaah! :hypnotised:

By the way ...........''don't ever ..............stop'' !!

Meanwhile back on planet Earth .....Finally the rear wing section sanded and ready for finishing, you can't see the holes clearly in these pics but they are there and will be individually drilled out after priming.

P1050213.jpg

P1050214.jpg

Melchie...

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Sterling work... couple of nasty sink marks on the top surfaces, aren't there? :S They really weren't trying too hard the day they mastered this one, were they? :fraidnot:

True Mike, as I say filler is king here !!..everywhere you look there's something else that needs doing. Smears of Mr Hobby will see 'em off ...that's not the problem...it's the sheer amount that's a royal pain !!

I think it's age, size of single components and quality of the plastic AMT used that has a lot to do with the quality issues ...the real positive though is that it's very accurate in shape and the final result with a bit of care can be rather impressive.

General, I just picked up this kit and can't wait to get my hands dirty. Your build is coming along very nice and perfect timing for me. I'll be following it very closely and saving every bit of into. So, keep up the good work.

Mike

Hey Andy - I've only just caught up with this thread - Wow!!! I think that we need to talk... :whistle:

Thanks Joel, As Dunc says Fantastic Plastic do one, quite basic but nice all the same, (in fact it's recently been updated to include a full undercarriage)....it wasn't quite in the same league as the Valkyrie performance wise, but it would have been a sound design for the time.

Basically two versions were touted, this one with vertically mounted engines,

Avro730_II_sc2.jpg

And this one with two 'four packs' mounted mid span rather like SR-71 ,

Avro730_2.jpg

Before anyone asks, the pilots were to use a periscope for vision as seen in the top picture, as vision would have been severly restricted had windows been used to follow the fuselage line.

I had been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding one in 1/72nd but decided in the end to go with the more interesting Handley-Page proposition, the HP-100,

Melchie Von Hindenburg...

What a great looking aircraft! I don't know how big this thing was supposed to be, but for a large scale model I wonder how much of the Airfix Concord you could use to create the fuselage and wings; that back end looks mightily familar don't you think..? :hmmm:

Laters! Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

Cool looking "Whiffers", i must say.

And I'll say this as well- an engine failure on takeoff would NOT be pretty.

david

Hey Andy - I've only just caught up with this thread - Wow!!! I think that we need to talk... :whistle:

What a great looking aircraft! I don't know how big this thing was supposed to be, but for a large scale model I wonder how much of the Airfix Concord you could use to create the fuselage and wings; that back end looks mightily familar don't you think..? :hmmm:

Laters! Spence

3312771832_c19987074d.jpg

General, Err Andrew,

You're going to burn yourself out doing these things 2 at a time .............. From one who knows !!

Our Keving has 2 of these beasties, one the Contrail issue with white metal undercarriage, the other the AMT. No I do not intend offering him a helping hand ................

'V'

My God!!

Insurrection in the ranks!! Stand fast that man, they're only fuzzy-wuzzy's and you're British by God!!

General, I shall prepare the whipped cream and cucumbers, we'll show the blighters eh?? :hobbyhorse:

:coat:

Hi chaps , sorry but I've been a bit busy with 'real life' and what have you, weathers been so nice seemed sacrilegious to sit in a darkened room whittling away with plastic !! anyhoo I decided to cut all the individual elevons out (all twelve of them) and refit them in the drooped position....NOT a good idea !!as it took me four evenings to refit them all accurately !The problem was the spacing and that the two outermost ones of the main wing are too narrow on the kit parts and need widening to fit over the hinge joint. Add to this gentle rescibe of all panel lines and making good the nasty sink marks and you can see that I've been a bit busy !!, I'll post progress pics tomorrow...

Thanks Mike, hope it inspires you to have a go at the wee beastie .... :analintruder:

You read my mind Spence, I have a 1/72nd Airfix Concorde ready for butchering at a moments notice,well probably next year now but it's on the short list !!

David you're right , don't think crosswind approaches would be a barrel of laughs either !!, (hope the periscope has 360 degree vision :analintruder:,it's just that I've got this picture in my mind of it waggling furiously around trying to line up on finals !!! ),

Geoff, yep I know you had a spot of burn out earlier but you're back on line now !!( ruddy trainspotters eh !!).I bumped into dear old Terry at the Coventry show and he's sending me some more bits he's recast for the Victor , so I can always get a bit of light relief and work on my SR2 for the SIG :hypnotised: :hypnotised: :hypnotised: !!

Lummy Keef old sporran, I apologise profusely for not finishing the blighter in the same time it took God to create the earth but I have to fit work in here somewhere too you know !! :winkgrin: and you haven't even seen what I bought at Waddington today !!! :whistle:

Plastic, man the battle bus, unfurl the Royal Standard and order the marmalade and oyster sandwiches ...................We're going in !!! :hobbyhorse:...........tallyho

General ( burning the candle, etc) Melchett.....

Lummy Keef old sporran, I apologise profusely for not finishing the blighter in the same time it took God to create the earth but I have to fit work in here somewhere too you know !! :winkgrin: and you haven't even seen what I bought at Waddington today !!! :whistle:

Well, I've been called some things in me time, but that's a new one!! You can only expect more such abuse by dint of the speed that you usually build things (normally quicker than I can type said abuse.....!! :rolleyes::D )

... and you haven't even seen what I bought at Waddington today !!! :whistle:

Oh, come on, show us, show us,please,pretty please, pretty please with spots on....... :nerd: !!!!!!

Keef

PS what was the show like??!!

OK just some run of the mill quick builds like !! :jump_fire:

First something to go with my Valkyrie , so it doesn't feel intimidated on long journeys, I insisted on opening the box after the horror that has been inflicted on me upon me before upon opening an Anigrand kit ,...... but no ..this one is ALMOST perfect !!.

P1050352.jpg

and something with spinny bits on, ,I've heard great things about this kit and wanted one for ages, all for 20 quid too !!

P1050357.jpg

And something for the Cold War Korean war build , this one was a tenner.

P1050362.jpg

And finally a little build to keep the Valkyrie and Rapier on the straight and narrow and pointing the right way !! :whistle: ..

P1050359.jpg

Picked up at a bargain bucket stall for another 20 quid ,( after a bit of haggling and threats of prosecution over the condition of the box , fella wanted 30 for it, but it was the end of the day !!)

All a bit different,.....Wifee did a lot of groaning when I hauled my bin bag into the house !!

Melchie...

• Like 1

Cool haul Andy!! Like the look of that Rapier!! B)

I brought back an RC-135 from Florida on our last family holiday. As well as an EC-135, KC-135R & B-52G!!!! (squashed all the boxes flat & put all the sprues in amongst the clothes in the suitcases!!) They went into store with the KC-135A & B-52H I'd bought on the previous trip!! As they only cost $10 each it seemed rude not too.....!!! :D

Unfortunately lack of space caught up with me & they all got sold (for rather more than I paid for them though! :coolio: ) I have built a KC-135 & despite it having a large helping of bad press I thought it was a lovely build - & they look fantastic when finished! (if you've never built one, make sure that you brace the wings with something like telescoping brass tubes - makes a heck of a difference!)

I do wish someone would do a range of -135's in 144, huge gap in the market!

Keef

edited for fat fingered typing!

Edited by keefr22

OOhh, that reminds me I have a Cub somewhere in my loft ......... No I'm not gonna race you. There are still a few 'started' jobs to finish before I open another box. That Nova C141 Vacform I promised I'd finish by 2000, wish I'd not started stretching an 'A' into a 'B' and my IL-76 should have been finished around the millenium.

O.K general thinking about it we should let you have another week to finish these two !!

'V'

First something to go with my Valkyrie , so it doesn't feel intimidated on long journeys, I insisted on opening the box after the horror that has been inflicted on me upon me before upon opening an Anigrand kit ,...... but no ..this one is ALMOST perfect !!.

P1050352.jpg

:speak_cool:

Nice one Andy,

it is a nice kit, I've got mine on the go at the moment. The intakes are rather featureless so I'm debating whether to cheat and just fashion some FOD covers or to go mental and try fashioning some intake compression ramps and diffuser to add a littel detail. Also there is absolutely no positive locating for the wings, leading to an enormous butt joint (oh err! :analintruder: ), so some delicate work to drill and pin this is going to be required. I'm planning on doing mine as an Edwards test aircraft, inspired by the profile in the Jenkins Valkyrie book.

:cheers:

Duncan

Morning chaps !, thanks ....flippin eck Keef you a bit keen on the AMT stuff ?? I've seen a couple of the '135's made up and I agree they do look rather good, I'm especially fond of the RC as I remember seeing one being thrown around the sky in a generally worrying manner at Patrick AFB , Florida in 1990 and they used to be in and out of Mildenhall quite regularly too.

Nope I've never built one , thanks for the bracing tip, looking at the usual bendy AMT plastic I can see what you mean !! think I'll make it an Offutt bird.

Paul I've got John Laing on the case as we speak, they're only concern is the structural weight and load bearing!!! :analintruder: ....Yep I've always liked the cub too, funny the Herc does nothing for me and yet I really like the look of this thing ...it's that Soviet quirkiness, each to his own I suppose!

Geoff, You waited so long to finish these two that they've both been released in kit form by Anigrand and Amodel !!( admittedly at horrendous cost ) but so much easier than the old Nova vacs, mind you stretching an A into a B....well that's madness on a level seldom seen in this part of the world :frantic: !......................by the way which millenium are we talking about ?? :tease: ! :

Dunc I agree the intakes need work, I'm going to use some spare F-15 bits I have for that, replace the exhausts as they are too small and have an odd step because of this as well as pin the wings !

The undercarriage is a bit odd too as it appears that one maingear is ahead of the other which would make ground Manoevering the beast very tricky !!I'll have to check the archives on the accuracy of this...

Mines going to be ADC grey and decked out in 16th FIS markings I have acquired from Microscale. Should be fun !!

Melchie

• Like 1

Morning chaps !, thanks ....flippin eck Keef you a bit keen on the AMT stuff ??

And Good Morning to you too, General!! I do have to admit to liking AMT kits - I think it must be the British love of the underdog!! Unfortunately I had to see sense & realise that it was just impossible to build them. My sole -135 is boxed up & stored in the loft in my mum's bungalow - it was too big to store in the cubby hole the builders of our place called a 'loft'!! :(

....Yep I've always liked the cub too, funny the Herc does nothing for me and yet I really like the look of this thing ...it's that Soviet quirkiness, each to his own I suppose!

Another Cub fan here too!! I think it's the guns that do it for me.....!!!! :analintruder::D

keef