Italeri /AMT XB-70A Valkyrie

General Bonkers Sir :evil_laugh: At the moment you seem to have this Wee Beastie under excellent control. Really enjoying watching this one Andy :thumbsup2:

Bexy

Thanks both, Stebos I must admit that if I ever built another, (after four I think I've had enough, besides the filler alone is costing me a fortune !!), I wouldhave to build it 'in flight' as all the parts are provided for this....mind you it would take up a hell of a lot of space !!! :yikes:

Bex, I'm trying to keep a leash on her but she's fighting all the way...every time I build one I think...this'll be a lot easier than the last time .....er ................... NO. :fraidnot:

General Mayhem II

Right onwards !!As I have said often !, the major problem with this kit is the poor fit of parts, here is an example.This is underneath the top wing section, showing the underside of the 'six pack' exhaust cover, the huge gap is a result of trimming the front under wings to fit perfectly in their locations!!This however results in a 5mm gap running the whole length of the underside !!..Not to panic though as all of this ( nearly) is covered by the large engine fairing...thank goodness!!

The engine housing

will fit perfectly showing just how far out it was originally !!

P1050056.jpg

This is the front end (never ??), showing filled part that's going to end up showing...notice that the very end of the triangle has a bit missing...that's how it comes, bit of surgery later!!

This also shows the strange square edge of the wing leading edge which needs to be sanded to profile (easy !!).

P1050055.jpg

Now a dilemma, the kit instructions say to glue the two halves of the forward nose together then glue the two halves of the fuselage 'spine' together and then fit the whole shooting match onto the top of the wing section....BUT if you do that you're going to be in for a lot of extra work as the spine is too narrow and leaves a large (4mm) gap running the whole length either side !!!

My remedy is to fit the spine first leaving the rear section un glued...fit the forward part then splay the rear section outward to fit into the section properly...this minimises the ampount of filling drastically!!

BREATH !!.....OK now having done that we are left with another small problem, there is a gap along the spine, which is really quite easy to fill , I always use plasticard rather than filler as you never know when it will crack and fall out !!, this is then trimmed to fit,

P1050028.jpg

P1050053.jpg

The forward fuselage is then fitted ....word of advice cut the two locating lugs from inside the spine section,( sorry forgot to photograph them ...DOH !!) as these are used as a press fit and once in ...totally unmovable leaving a loose floopy gap :banned: , I cut them off, trim the two sections up and fit using Super glue, carefully as you haven't got much time to square things up !,

For goodness sake check alignment before commiting to glue as you don't want a 'drooped snoot' here !!

P1050054.jpg

At the back and MOST IMPORTANT............brace yourself !!....the underside of the rear end needs bracing otherwise you'll end up with a pronounced inverted 'V', but be very careful as to where you fit it as it can easily foul up the locating area for the underwing, ( does this make any sense to you coz it beats the Hell out of me !!).....

I just fitted a section of steel plate bonded with Araldite to ensure a good strong join. In the photo it looks to have a step but it's actually completely flat!!

P1050029.jpg

While I was at it I cut the canardsto drop the elevons as the aircraft is often seen like this when parked up, powered down.

P1050057.jpg

Here the section at the front of the wing shows the small bit of sprue used to fill the missing piece.which will be filed to shape and smoothed.No filler yet ( the white stuff is just sanding dust ),

P1050123.jpg

Thanks for now,

Next filling the gaps ....OH JOY !!! :analintruder:

• Like 1

You know it strikes me that there are an awful lot of these kits out there, but I'm struggling to find many people that have actually built one !!I think the size is the main issue understandably ....falls into the.seems like a good idea at the time !!!...only to lanquish in the dark depths of the attic or garage until one day !!!! I remember seeing lots of folks wandering around airshows dragging Revell 1/48th scale B1B's around thinking .........wonder how many of those will ever see the finish flag ?? :hmmm:

The same fate befalls the Monogram B-36, and AMT Northrop flying wings and Boeing RC-135V.......It must be a size thing !! :jump_fire:

Melchiepoo...

This is great work.

When I saw those seams, I started to have involuntary twitches.

Well, hopefully one day I meet the right lady.

If I am thinking of the same Ms. Price, no thanks.

If Half of what I have read is true, she is not the one for me.

I do not need the drama.

Edit - General, one of the first kits I ever received as a gift was the B-36. And as much as I want another and a 1/48 B-1 to go with,

sadly, I think they wont be in the cards.

Edited by Av8fan

AV8,

When I saw those seams, I started to have involuntary twitches.

...Me too !!!....but I know what to expect now so I head the thing off at the pass, take it round the back of the bike sheds and give it a sound thrashing !!! :jump_fire:

HHmmmm ..B-36...guess what I have planned for later .. :wicked:

GM

Ayup GM...

It MUST be a size thing.

I've only seen one BADLY built example at the shows, it was truly Awful... that was a coupla years back now. I think it was at an Oxfordshire-ish show.

I'm not scared per se, but storage would be a problem. my ideal scenario would be depicting the accident... sorry if that sounds peverse...

OK, lovely afternoon, off work this week ,the sounds of summer, suns shining, Wimbledons on in the background, it's actually hot here and a Typhoon has just gone over on finals into Waddington...doesn't get much better !!

So on with the'' swan dragging a banana box'' as the XB-70 was called by some poetic USAF wag !!

This is how the seams looked at beginning of play,

P1050175.jpg

P1050177.jpg

P1050176.jpg

P1050173.jpg

And now after a fair bit of swearing and elbow grease we have this,

P1050192.jpg

P1050193.jpg

P1050183.jpg

Also done are the two wingtips and hinge joints, no problems here , just wish the rest of the kit fitted as well!!

P1050190.jpg

One more thing, if you like me want the canard elevons drooped you will need to fill a section of the locating slot as it now shows through !!I just used some tight fitting plasticard..which will be trimmed and sanded to fit,

P1050189.jpg

We are now winning the fight :boxing: , everything fitted to check for errors and the graceful lines of the Valkyrie are beginning to come together !!

P1050197.jpg

P1050196.jpg

P1050198.jpg

For sanding incidently I use wet and dry (all grades with a LOT of water), grit sticks , coarse to start with working up to fine , then finish off with Micro Mesh, from 8,000 up to 13,000 for a glass like finish ready for priming.

Needless to say you lose a lot of panel detail during this carnage but a light run with my Olfa rescriber soon has them back again ....

Next ...final polishing and pre shade to find defects...then put it all together....

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Now, now Walrus, I thought that was Prime Ministers Question Time !!!....now I'm really confused ! what year is it ??? :frantic:

Thanks Paul, shouldn't be too long now, only hold up will be Alclad metallics, as I've run out !!!..restock on Sunday at the Coventry show, :jump_fire:

Melchie...

Fea, How would you portray the accident, would be very interesting to see that !, a fair bit of work involved especially if you wanted to use all the other aircraft in the formation, (decals alone might be a problem), your biggest headache though would be modding the Valkyrie from AV-1 to AV-2. AV-2 had a distinct 5 degree dihedral across the wings, very noticable in photo's. that would involve a lot of surgery and affect the stability of the model big time...depending how you did it.....good luck old fella !!

This shot shows it quite well even though the tips are down, especially on the port wing,

xb-70a-2-rollout.jpg

Cheers

Melchie...

• Like 2

4? 4 Valkyries?? Nutter.....!!! :mental::tease:

That's looking really good Andy, can't believe you've got that far this quickly with the beast! :coolio:

And I really like those exhausts!!

I was working in our local model shop when this first came out, so seeing as how I got discount it seemed rude not to get one. Had to take it back the next day though - I couldn't find space to put the box! I'd have had no chance if I'd actually tried building the thing!!

Keef

Keef........

Had to take it back the next day though - I couldn't find space to put the box!

Eek Gods man!!!..................Ruddy lightweight ... :bleh: ...yep space is an issue with this thing, mind you one positive is that like the Bounder it's long and thin and fits on shelves quite nicely !!!....admittedly nothing else will , but hey ho ...mice or men ??

Just to prove it here's my other build that I'm doing at the same time, ( excuse lack of right canard... I lost it !!!another one is on order), Evidence M'lud to prove if proof be needed that I really am ever so slightly unhinged..... :hypnotised:

Melchie

P1050180.jpg

P1050179.jpg

P1050181.jpg

• Like 1

"Oh Sh*t, there's two of 'em!" guess this would make a ride of Valkyries?

Is there a kit of the Avro 730 out there?, i found out about this project on Wiki yesterday whilst looking up B-70 stuff. Basically, our equivelant of the Valkyrie/Blackbird. Love these big, hypersonic bombers / fighters / spyplanes.

Keep up the great work Andy,

Joel

"Oh Sh*t, there's two of 'em!" guess this would make a ride of Valkyries?

Is there a kit of the Avro 730 out there?, i found out about this project on Wiki yesterday whilst looking up B-70 stuff. Basically, our equivelant of the Valkyrie/Blackbird. Love these big, hypersonic bombers / fighters / spyplanes.

Keep up the great work Andy,

Joel

Fantastic Plastic do one in 1/144 scale...

Clicky Linky Thingy

A few of us what-if crowd have bandied about possible ways of scratch-bashing one in 1/72 scale, could well be a future project if we can figure out how.

:cheers:

Duncan

Thanks Joel, As Dunc says Fantastic Plastic do one, quite basic but nice all the same, (in fact it's recently been updated to include a full undercarriage)....it wasn't quite in the same league as the Valkyrie performance wise, but it would have been a sound design for the time.

Basically two versions were touted, this one with vertically mounted engines,

Avro730_II_sc2.jpg

And this one with two 'four packs' mounted mid span rather like SR-71 ,

Avro730_2.jpg

Before anyone asks, the pilots were to use a periscope for vision as seen in the top picture, as vision would have been severly restricted had windows been used to follow the fuselage line.

I had been toying with the idea of scratchbuilding one in 1/72nd but decided in the end to go with the more interesting Handley-Page proposition, the HP-100,

Melchie Von Hindenburg...

• Thanks 1

Bit more work, nothing exciting as we get down to the nitty gritty.

The canards have been cut and the foreward sections glued into place.Make sure you carefully align these as they are not a great fit !! If like me you want the flaps down you must carefully angle the hinge line ,(so you haven't got a large gap running along the underside....remember gap=filler=hassle!!). The flaps are set at 20 degrees but you will notice that the inside edge fouls on the fuselage side .Just gently trim in a slight arc so that it lines up with an equal gap running down its length. Here they are fitted with the filled in slot piece cut and sanded into place,

P1050202.jpg

And here it is important to line the drooped flaps up to the right angle.

P1050203.jpg

One other thing I don't like is the joint along the back of the wing which is made up of two halves. One half is slightly wider than the other and is very hard to correct once built as the bottom section comprises the exhaust shrouds, hard to avoid damage ... . My cure is to run a length of thin plasticard along the line to hide the joint . On the real aircraft this area has many small holes along its length, (cooling), and the best way to replicate this is by using a rivet cutting tool. Draw a straight line, using a metal rule then cut to shape. The whole thing can be sanded to fit once on. It makes a big difference to the finished model.

Hereis the offending part,

P1050206.jpg

P1050208.jpg

P1050209.jpg

Just needs carving to shape once dry....

P1050210.jpg

One other thing done while things are drying is the filling of the wingtip sections,

P1050211.jpg

Cheers now..

Next.....spraying for gaps !!

• Like 1