Avro York in 1/72nd scale

I am thinking of scratchbuilding a fuselage using the Airfix Lancaster book drawings. A lot of plastic and filing/sanding! The only fiddley bit is the canopy. Does anyone have a spare one they could let me have in order to avoid getting my fingers burnt under the grill?!!!!

Any offer of help would be much appreciated. The alternative is the CMR kit bought at SMW in November this year so that I can get 10% off the horrendous price from Hannants and avoid postage as well!!!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards

Simon

I am thinking of scratchbuilding a fuselage using the Airfix Lancaster book drawings. A lot of plastic and filing/sanding! The only fiddley bit is the canopy. Does anyone have a spare one they could let me have in order to avoid getting my fingers burnt under the grill?!!!!

Any offer of help would be much appreciated. The alternative is the CMR kit bought at SMW in November this year so that I can get 10% off the horrendous price from Hannants and avoid postage as well!!!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards

Simon

Simon

Why not try for one of the old vacform conversions from Contrail or Sutcliffe?

David

Simon

I scratch built a 1:48 Avro Yourk fuselage using balsa wood and plastic card.

1:48 Avro York

Should work in 1:72 - less balsa to carve for a start. I would be happy to vac-form a few clear canopies for you if you could provide a balsa master.

:giles:

Darius

The CMR York conversion may be pricey but it is a large casting and much of the cost would be in the mould. I'd advise investing in one of these rather than the full kit. It's cheaper and will take any of the wings by Airfix, Hasegawa or Revell. Some surgery to the donor kit parts will be required.

The Contrail conversion is frankly s***e, being very rough. They did a full kit later which is far superior and that's also long gone but second hand examples of both can and do turn up under the tables or from the second hand traders.

Your other conversion option is by a (thankfully) defunct company called Final Touch. It's even worse than the original contrail conversion, being a solid fuselage and somewhat mis-shapen. Most of their stuff was pirated from elsewhere, if you ever got it as the proprietor was well known for defrauding his customers and spent some time at her Majesties pleasure. Avoid!

Many thanks of the offer to mould a canopy! I may well take you up on that but I have a lot on anyway so I'm in no rush - but I know where to come now when I get my act together!

Simon

Simon

I scratch built a 1:48 Avro Yourk fuselage using balsa wood and plastic card.

1:48 Avro York

Should work in 1:72 - less balsa to carve for a start. I would be happy to vac-form a few clear canopies for you if you could provide a balsa master.

:giles:

Darius

Thanks Wooks,

Having seen reviews of the CMR kit I know it looks very nice but £55 is a lot of dosh. I have a spare Airfix Lanc to provide the mainplanes and tail feathers so no worries there but scratchbuilding a fuselage should be posible, sdo long as I can get some proper clear styrene to do the fuselage glazing.

You really must tell me the Final Touch story one of these days, I have some Spit stuff that I acquired years ago

Cheers

Simon

The CMR York conversion may be pricey but it is a large casting and much of the cost would be in the mould. I'd advise investing in one of these rather than the full kit. It's cheaper and will take any of the wings by Airfix, Hasegawa or Revell. Some surgery to the donor kit parts will be required.

The Contrail conversion is frankly s***e, being very rough. They did a full kit later which is far superior and that's also long gone but second hand examples of both can and do turn up under the tables or from the second hand traders.

Your other conversion option is by a (thankfully) defunct company called Final Touch. It's even worse than the original contrail conversion, being a solid fuselage and somewhat mis-shapen. Most of their stuff was pirated from elsewhere, if you ever got it as the proprietor was well known for defrauding his customers and spent some time at her Majesties pleasure. Avoid!

Having seen reviews of the CMR kit I know it looks very nice but £55 is a lot of dosh. I have a spare Airfix Lanc to provide the mainplanes and tail feathers so no worries there but scratchbuilding a fuselage should be posible, sdo long as I can get some proper clear styrene to do the fuselage glazing.

The CMR kit is a thing of beauty and if you consider the bits in the box and the time it will take to scratch build one it suddenly "don't seem so expensive" with etch, canopy and decals etc....that was my excuse for getting one anyway, that and having a spare (M&S) Lancaster to rob for bits.

• 1 month later...

Yes I remember Final Touch , the mongrel had a bad habit of not sending ordered stuff and then charging your credit card several times for the undelivered items , I am so pleased to hear her Majesty took pleasure in locking him up .

There is also the Historic Wings rework of the Contrail full kit , this was done by Aircraft in Miniature , and was an improvement on the original Contrail kit being made in thicker plastic and including W/M detail parts and decals for a Hunting Clan aircraft .

I think I still have Airmodel York fuselage halves, trimmed from sheet but not further worked. No canopy. If you are interested get in touch.

Among the very first Contrail kits were a couple that provided parts to convert Airfix kits , these were listed as Heavy Conversion Units or something similar and one certainly had a pair of fuselage halves for the York . From memory you got three conversion per set and the other two were possibly the LB-30 and Privateer for the B24 .