Panzer IV Ausf. E (1:35 Dragon)

Mike

Not a full interior, just a bit of detail in the turret, and the internal structure of the bow mounted MG. The inside of the hull will be painted black, but I'm detailing the turret to show off some of the myriad of parts in there :)

Not a full interior, just a bit of detail in the turret, and the internal structure of the bow mounted MG. The inside of the hull will be painted black, but I'm detailing the turret to show off some of the myriad of parts in there :)

Ahhhhhhh right. I don't normally build targets so trying to keep up is a bit of a new thing for me. I will admit that I have purchased several tracked vehicles and a Scud Missile w/mobile launcher very recently. :)

I'll have the top cupola and one of the side doors open, so I can see in, or show people (if they're interested), so I'm planning on detailing the turret up, yeah... just need those color callouts :)

Ahhhhhhh right. I don't normally build targets so trying to keep up is a bit of a new thing for me. I will admit that I have purchased several tracked vehicles and a Scud Missile w/mobile launcher very recently. :)

Dan's got a lot to answer for! :fight:

I did the weathering & chipping of the turret this avo, with small splodges of Vallejo black grey and Shadows Flesh (I don't have the primer color :doh: ), some graphite from an artist's pencil, and a little Black Soot Mig Pigment applied dry around the breech. I'm calling the interior done now, and will spray the rest of the hull interior black to deaden reflections if someone looks in the door :)

turret1.jpg

turret2.jpg

turret3.jpg

Next up is building of the tracks... could be fun :wacko:

Hi Mike, coming along well glad It wasn't just me with the ladder though, as for the primer I always use Tamiya Hull red & for the spent shell bag either NATO brown or NATO black.

Andy.

It turns out that in order to set up the tracks correctly, I need to put the roadwheels together, and install the rubber sleeves. I decided to start the painting process seeing as I was doing that, so that I could install the majority of the wheels permanently onto which I'll drape the tracks during building. I broke out the Panzer Grey for the rubber parts, and the Afrika Korps Tan Yellow, both from Xtracrylix.

I did a bit of pre-shading with Panzer Grey, and then set to work on making most of it disappear. Lots of paint later, I'd got the base coat somewhere near where I wanted it, and began lightening the horizontal surfaces as the first part of the sun bleaching effect I'm aiming at. 3 separate lightening shades were used, each only slightly lightened by a drop of white. The end result is fairly subtle at the moment, but I'm sure I'll want to touch up bits when I see it again in the morning. Here are a few photos I took in the meantime :)

hull7.jpg

hull8.jpg

hull9.jpg

hull10.jpg

Filters next, once the touch ups are done, then decals... watch this space ;)

Filters applied, wheels glued and tracks assembled, primed, then coated in a thick layer of Vallejo Tracks Primer... a lovely dusty shade of rusty brown, with a hint of metallic somehow.

hull11.jpg

hull12.jpg

hull14.jpg

More later in case anyone's still watching :P

That's the plan fella... once I've finished putting the stickies on. ;)

Note to self: Remember - deserts don't have much mud, just lots of sand.

Hi Mike, lookin very good I'll have to get a bottle of that track primer meself I used CMK stardust pigments light & dark dust on my IV.

Andy.

Did you find those both a bit dark? That's what made me switch to Mig pigments - both light AND dark rust were almost identically dark :S

A bit more progress... decals on, Mig wash applied & pushed about a bit with a brush dampened with Thinners for Washes. I've also made a start on painting the pioneer tools, which are little models in their own right. They should add quite a bit of interest to the model once they're attached. Plenty more weathering to do yet though... it's a slow process adding each layer as you go along, and it's not yet one I'm 100% familiar with the order of, as this is only kit number 4 :blush:

hull15.jpg

hull16.jpg

hull17.jpg

hull18.jpg